What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post away...

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post by F1Modlz »

Jeep wrote:I'm 52 and a translator.

A profession I was supposed to follow my father in. Ex footballer and photographer as well as playing with toy cars lol I'm a senior sales consultant and store manager at the Carphone warehouse in the uk. I'm 38 next feel older due to my daughter driving me round the bend and love to one day get behind the wheel of. 90's or even 80's f1 car

Paul

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

34 years young I guess I should say. I work at UPS slinging boxes around at the wee hours of the morning and occasionally driving the big brown trucks. I modeled as a kid and teenager then gave it up probably when I had to start paying for everything myself. Did a lot of aircraft and a few cars back then but it was all tube glue and nonsense. About 5 years or so my wife told me I should start doing it again to give me more patience. Little did she know I would go crazy and have boxes arriving on the porch almost daily. I still do the occasional aircraft but mainly switched to racing cars because I love them and they take up a lot less space. I'm home all day with my 6 and 4 year old daughters so I get a decent amount of time when they're not setting things on fire.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Tigers wrote:In an office, and if my boss knew how much time I spent on the internet looking at modelling websites (like now!) I would be in trouble!

Dito but I'm my own boss lol

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Nice to know you all a little better and see the human behind the "avatar"...

Well I'm 40 and run my little business doing this www.3dgrafix.de for around 20 years. Was my dreamjob but the "dream" faded a way over the years...
Another thing I hope to do well is www.scale-details.com Well there is not much to see but since I'm able to
design parts for printign or machining, can easily design PE parts and decals I finally took the time to actually do it. Not much available at the moment but I really wanted to do something real beside my virtual job.
It's great to design something on the Computer and finally hold it in your hands, no matter if 3d printed or CNC machined. So expect quiet a few things to come in the near future.

If I had a little more courage I would drop all my jobs and start something like a motorcycle custom or restoration company or even cars...that's another of my passions. Rebuilding or customizing motorcycles...but I guess I will end up staring at my PC screen ;-)

Daniel

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

I am an 42 year old model-builder from germany.

Sure we dont made modeling stuff like we all show here.My work is stuff like steel prototyping forms,aluminum and gray cast iron for the automotive in germany.After the big massive metal parts are cnc milled i get it in my hands.I have to take care that there are no steps from the milling machine and have to clean this when there are marks to see.Sometimes these parts got a weight of only 500kg,sometime these things are very massive and got about 20-25tons!
I also the man who measurements these parts with a 3d-messuremts machine and i am the last who take a look if the parts are ready for delivery or not.
In the last few years we made complete sidewalls for the BMW Mini,Jaguar,Porsche,VW and Audi.
There was also some clay models of the complete car.I remember we made the actual Audi TT and the Seat Leon a while ago.
Most interesting part was the prototype parts for the Porsche 911 GT3,Gt2 and the Panamera.We made interior parts like the door trim with all small parts are movable and colored in the right color.And lots of front bumpers and rear bumpers for the GT Porsches.
But most parts are from the hidden areas somewhere under or in the car.
Sounds better than it is most of the day. :wink: :wink:

I got a lovely wife and two little daughters who are the sunshine in my life!
Sometime i found a bit time for modeling in the evening,but not as much i would love to have.

regards
Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Bigasshammm wrote:34 years young I guess I should say. I work at UPS slinging boxes around at the wee hours of the morning and occasionally driving the big brown trucks. I modeled as a kid and teenager then gave it up probably when I had to start paying for everything myself. Did a lot of aircraft and a few cars back then but it was all tube glue and nonsense. About 5 years or so my wife told me I should start doing it again to give me more patience. Little did she know I would go crazy and have boxes arriving on the porch almost daily. I still do the occasional aircraft but mainly switched to racing cars because I love them and they take up a lot less space. I'm home all day with my 6 and 4 year old daughters so I get a decent amount of time when they're not setting things on fire.

I hope you're not slinging our mfh kits about lol

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

Bigasshammm wrote:34 years young I guess I should say. I work at UPS slinging boxes around at the wee hours of the morning and occasionally driving the big brown trucks.
You Drive the Brown Christmas Truck!?!?!?!?!?!?! :lol:

As for me, I'm 50. I am a Native Houstonian. My 8-5 profession is putting Liners in Landfills so all that nasty trash water, and chemicals don't get into the ground water. I have been doing this since 1991. Most here know my other hobby in addition to building models. I have been building off and on since I was 8. :wink:
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

js1115
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Didier Pironi
France

Post by js1115 »

I am 51 and scientist.... Working in nuclear physics and nuclear waste management.
Jean-Paul

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Aged 42, doing zero, zilch, nothing :mrgreen: .

czarneckims
Formula e
Formula e

Post by czarneckims »

I'm 48 and work as a Intellectual Property attorney (patents, copyrights, trademarks) in the US. Been modeling since I was a wee lad watching my uncle build model street customs in the early 1970's.