What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post away...

biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Re: What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post by biercemountain »

I'm 50 and pay my bills as a graphic artist. Been doing mostly packaging for retail products for the last 20 years.

You can check out some of my work here http://www.pdgny.com

Paul

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

45 years old, for 16 years I've been a Motorsport Design Engineer currently based in Cologne, Germany after an automotive background. I've been making models a LOT longer than that...

Kilshaw
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by Kilshaw »

daveyman wrote:...also age is interesting, is this really an ageing hobby?
Nope!

I'm 15, so at school. I'm a year off my GCSEs and iGCSEs. I don't exactly know what I want to do as a career yet, but I would like to be a motorsport journalist.

Fun fact: I actually go to the same school as Christian Horner did! (Warwick School)

Jake
Jake Kilshaw, 16 years old.

adambc82
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by adambc82 »

Always thought a thread like this would be interesting.

I'm 31, built models as a kid and decided to pick it up again a few years ago and went crazy much like everyone here with it. Bought a couple Tamiya F1 kits, loved how great they went together and then got more into the races and way more into Tamiya kits, haha.

I'm a manufacturing engineer for a large tractor/implement company (think green and yellow). Been doing this for about 6 years now.

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

I'm 46 and a carpenter/joiner by trade! However, I'm unable to work anymore due to various health problems :(
So now my full-time vocation is my hobby.....and I'm loving every minute of it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers, H

Scale_Engineering
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Scale_Engineering »

27 years old, former national kart driver and a senior manager of a supermarket who has sponged off his parents too long and about to study quantity surveying and construction economics part time so I can start hopefully my own company. Or fail miserably. Either or.

modellwerke
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by modellwerke »

67 semi-retired. Spend most of the day doing decals for mostly Studio27

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

I am an IT systems guy, 50 yrs of age but feel like I'm about 28 (unless I strain a muscle playing basketball and it takes a week to heal; then I feel like I'm 50). When I was a kid I used to build Revell/Monogram aircraft models (1/72 B-52D anyone?) as I've always been interested in engineering, but my my father and uncle were always rebuilding engines / cars in the garage so auto racing is also a passion of mine.

I quit building kits when I was about 15 because school and music programs took all my time, but I always followed F1 through magazines such as Road & Track before we could see F1 races live on TV here in the U.S.

Then, in 2003, I wanted to show appreciation to a good friend of mine, and he is a big F1 fan, so I decided to build an F1-2000 as a gift for him. That was my first kit in 25 years, it got me back into the hobby, and I learned a lot viewing blogs from Steve Yeun, Alex Kustov, and this site in particular. Have loved every minute of it since, even though now my work schedule and family means that I don't have much build time. But this is my favorite site to visit, learn, and enjoy.

Thanks,
AJ

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

This is a great tread to read through, seeing you guys post comments over the years and now see a little more to your lives than just your preferred hobby makes it more interesting, as for myself I fill 8 hours of my day installing kitchens/wardrobes/office furniture etc, I'm 45 years old and a qualified carpenter, I very much enjoy working with my hands and similarly to the hobby of modeling, the job allows standing back and see the fruits of your labour on completion.
My other hobbies on the go are in order of importance: 3 year old little girl 8) , Track days (motorcycle) , Road Bikes.

just checking through the age groups of the posters, the numbers are as follows so far:
60's (5)
50's (8)
40's (8)
30's (5)
20's (1)
and youngest is jake (so far :wink: ) at 15
Dede.

Topic author
rtedore
World Champion
World Champion

Post by rtedore »

I too find this very interesting and I'm glad I brought up the question. I am absolutely enjoying reading all the fine examples of hard work that goes into this world of ours to keep it running. We range from a farmer to a nuclear scientist. DISCLAIMER: I by all means am not demeaning the farmers of this land they are fantastic and keep the basic necessities of our lives going and keeping us healthy and happy. :D Kudos to everyone!!!
BEST REGARDS
ROY TEDORE

"I BUILD FOR REFLECTION, NOT FOR PERFECTION"

ROY TEDORE 1993