bestbalsakits releases & ongoing projects

Post away...

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: bestbalsakits releases & ongoing projects

Post by AJP01 »

Yes I remember those days well. I used to buy the monthly issue of Road & Track magazine at the supermarket to read the usual two race reports contained within, either written by Rob Walker or Innes Ireland. They were always entertaining and informative, especially given the insider status that both men held in the industry. Of course I was 15 at the time so everyone knew more about F1 than I did.

Cheers,
AJ

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

Wim, are you thinking of doing the fronts for the P34 also? I could have four of the main players of '76 Japanese GP in 1/12th. That would be sweeeet.
bestbalsakits wrote:Derek,

Japan GP 1976, all full wets were hand grooved as standard rain tires were not sufficient to counter the flood cars were facing.
This (rear) tire is especially for that race, and will fit M23 & P34 (tamiya). Could be used on conversions of existing tamiya's into 312T2, Lotus 77 etc.

I know it won't sell much, but niche is my market, and standard symmetrical tire is too easy to draw & has been done so many times before. I like to avoid paths that have been explored by others allready ;-)

Wim
Michael Chriss

Topic author
bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

M.Chriss wrote:Wim, are you thinking of doing the fronts for the P34 also? I could have four of the main players of '76 Japanese GP in 1/12th. That would be sweeeet.
Chris, while working on this hand grooved set, i learned that it was used in Japan GP on M23, 312T2, Lotus 77, P34 & WR5 to name those that are easiest to make model of: kits exist or have transkits to make these models.
Also, apparently press releases of Lotus 78, WR1 & 312T are also documented wearing these full wets, so those are possible subjects too.

I'll first make 'standard' sized fronts to fit most of these cars, P34 to follow.
It took a long time to find a way to design the rear tire. Computers are good to reproduce standard designs were 1 drawing can be multiplied endlessly, but because each groove follows its own path + side cuts have different angels & intermediate spacing + smallest profiles are never aligned, i needed to set up individual drawings for each detail. Pretty labour intensive work i can tell you. But now the 1st tire has been done, it should be easier to make the rest since techniques will be pretty much the same.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

bestbalsakits wrote: ...i learned that it was used in Japan GP on M23, 312T2, Lotus 77, P34 & WR5 ...
With the WR5 you mean the Wolf? This car first apeared in 1977. The 1976 "Wolf" was the Williams FW05 (aka Hesketh 308C). It looked completly different.

Topic author
bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

Steffen_T wrote:
bestbalsakits wrote: ...i learned that it was used in Japan GP on M23, 312T2, Lotus 77, P34 & WR5 ...
With the WR5 you mean the Wolf? This car first apeared in 1977. The 1976 "Wolf" was the Williams FW05 (aka Hesketh 308C). It looked completly different.
ooow, yes of course... got carried away apparantly ;-)
Thx!

Wim
Now also on Facebook ...

Topic author
bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

here's some pics of my 911 JaegerFari project...

Some parts are not placed in correct position, and all are just loose on the car, few of them are raw version of cleaned up ones i also have.
Ride height has been adjusted to 24mm (9mm higher than standard setup as it comes in the kit) by adding prolongued shock parts.
At the moment, i'm re-doing the duck tail for better fitment.

Next step is adjusting the side fenders, and when these are done i can move over to decals. PE detail will be made last: company that will produce them is faster than the decal maker & faster than mould/duplicating firm.
Hope you enjoy.

Now also on Facebook ...

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Nice Jägermeister Safari racer. :wink:
Well done Wim. Will be a stunner.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Maysula
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Maysula »

I´ll be waiting :-)

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Looks great Wim. Very interesting subject. Will you do anything to correct the camber issue of the rear tires??
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

Well, i tightened the wheel nut, and that took care of 90% of the problem ;-)
But maybe it still needs some extra negative camber, so i'll take a look at the part and most probably redraw it to print.

Luckily, i have a complete kit coming to me from US one of the next days, so i can take a good look at the part to reproduce.

Now also on Facebook ...