Topic author
waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker
Location: Georgetown, TX. Earth. Down the road a piece from COTA

1/12 Icon Automotive Miniatures Rain Tires

Post by waxdart »

Hi Folks,

Don't know how many of you fell In love with the WIP by Alex/Jordan of the 1/12 MFH Tyrell 007 trans kit, but I did. Wonderful job.

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php ... yrrell+007

Alex mentions that the tires are oversized and he might replace them with some tires from Icon Miniatures. He actually ended up modifying the Trans kit tires to work. I have always liked the look of an F1 car sitting on rain tires. Something different I guess? So, I wanted to see if Icon had anything that would work as rain tires for my 007. A few PM's to Derek and it looked like his RT1203 tires might work.

http://www.iconautomotiveminiatures.com/index.htm

The tires arrived very well packaged and with a tracking number.
I don't know what I was expecting, but in my mind resin tires would be solid and weigh a ton. These are basically straight replacement for the Tamiya kit tires.
I was pleasantly surprised that the tire set also included a set of GYear decals.
The pour tabs have been cleaned off by Icon. A couple of licks with sandpaper and they are ready to mount up.
These tires are direct replacements for the 1/12 Tamiya Wolf, McLaren M23, Brabham Bt44, and Ferrari 312T. I wanted to see how they might work on the 007. This picture shows the 007 trans kit front tire on the left, and Wolf tire in the middle, and the Icon tire on the right.
Now to try the 007 wheel and it fits into the Icon tire easy peasy. It is however about 1/8th of and inch too wide. I haven't tried to see if getting rid of the extra width will mess up the way the 007 sits. Think it will work without much trouble.
Now for the rears. Trans kit tire on the left, the Tamiya Tyrrell Six Wheeler in the middle and the Icon with the wheel that has to be robbed as a donor from the P34.
Not wishing to get on any blacklist, it just seems that the Trans kit tires are massively oversized. These Icon tires seem to be a fairly simple fix. I'm not married to Icon's sister or anything, I did buy these tires with my own money. If I felt that they were not worth it I have nothing to keep me from saying so. I am very impressed with these tires.
Cheers, Tim Keily

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: 1/12 Icon Automotive Miniatures Rain Tires

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Thank You Tim,

Nice to hear you are pleased with your purchase. I can't wait to see what you do with that 007 kit!!

Derek
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Tim,thanks very much :) I lost track a bit from modeling but I am on top again now..I am a big fan from all the stuff Derek made for us modelers.I did not know there are new 1/12 rain tyres but I will order 2 sets asap..I have another 007 in sight so were off again !

Greetings,
Alex.

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

I got the 1/20 McLaren MP4/8 rain tires and they're beautiful. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Sent a e-mail yesterday for a set to use on a 1/20 M23. These look awesome.
Rick 8)
I feel the need for speed.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Are the 1/20's now rubber as well? I looked on the the site but may have missed it saying rubber or resin.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

bossy122 wrote:Are the 1/20's now rubber as well? I looked on the the site but may have missed it saying rubber or resin.
Yes they are! Well not really rubber, but flexible resin, actually a polyurethane made from the same stuff used as elastomer springs for Mountain bikes. All of the tires I make are made from the same material.

And just to remind those who have bought from me before and to let those of you know that have not bought but might be considering. Icon is a hobby business and in no way is capable of sustaining life on it's own so I only work at it when time and money permit. Therefor if I am out of stock on something or like right now, need to replenish some supplies, it may take me a while to complete your order. The caveat to that is I will not take your money until the item is ready to ship though I may require a deposit if the order is deemed large enough.

Also I would like everyone who is considering a purchase to keep in mind I am an active modeler myself. I am actively involved in 4 different local (to me) clubs and they keep me pretty busy with meeting, shows and other events. This may also add to lead times when placing an order for something that is not in stock.

One last thing, Please note that when looking at my website it has not been updated in over a year. The reason for that is like Mac at Mac's Modeling my site is hosted by Go Daddy who had the bright idea that they would update all their servers and in turn no longer support the software that my site was created with. Consequently I can not update my site because I have not spent the time to learn (like Mac has) what it is that I need to do to make it so that I can make updates. I prefer to spend the time to create a new website which I have been working on with a friend. It is a work in progress but should be an improvement when it is finished. All email addresses on the website are active and I do respond to those so if anyone has any questions you can send me a PM here or an email to any of the addresses on the website. Link is below in my signature

Thanks Guys!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Thank you Derek :)

Alex.

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

Hi Derek,,

Please, do the 1/20 recent releases : Ebbro Lotus 88 and Beemax MP4/2B give you opportunities to study correct sets for these 2 kits ?
Thank you in advance
Bye
Gilles