Bee Max McLaren MP4/2

Kit reviews

Topic author
Nigel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Bee Max McLaren MP4/2

Post by Nigel »

When I came back from vacation, the postman delivered my Bee Max McLaren with the Bee Max Detail Set and some sponsor decals by Auto Color. The Bee Max kit is the equal, if not better than, offerings from Tamiya, Fujimi and Hasegawa.

After a dry fit, there is a little bit of 'lift' on the body work, primarily due to some float between chassis pieces. I hope that when construction in earnest happens this will improve.

The instructions include placement of the carbon decals and the pe pieces from the detail set. Tires are good with depth markers nicely done. The PE set includes Michelin stencils which will be saved in the tool box for future kits.

I am looking forward to this build. I hope Bee Max will do more 1980's cars.
Last edited by Nigel on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Bee Max McLaren MP4/2

Post by daveyman »

Mine is due in the post anyday now. Looking forward to seeing it, all news is positive so far.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Recieved mine today also..looks very good and I am curious how the carbon decals will behave over the structured surface ?

Alex.

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

Hi ,

I confirm the positive opinion given by Nigel , the quality is at least , an probably better than Tamiya
but far away better than Fujimi and Hasegawa
Let's see only the tyres sidewalls...

Bye
Gilles

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi All,

Got mine in the mail, and I am very impressed with the kit contents. Aoshima / Beemax's first attempt at a 1:20 F-1 kit is easily equal to the quality you'd expect from Tamiya. It is worthwhile buying the separately sold Detail Set while you're ordering the kit - the extra set includes some finely cast hose ends, three sheets of carbon decal sheet, two really nice photoetch sheets and a small length of seat belt material.

Now for the bad news:

I received my kit from HobbyEasy and unfortunately the packaging box sustained damage in transit. The kit box was also damaged but thankfully the kit itself seems to have escaped injury. Clearly HobbyEasy are not using enough protective material in their packaging boxes and I have made them aware of this matter. If you do not live in Hong Kong you may experience the same disappointment I have had with HobbyEasy, so be aware folks...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

ElGuapo
Formula e
Formula e

Post by ElGuapo »

My MP4/2 is on its way from Santa Link Japan even as we speech.

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

I got my two about a week ago. I'm about to start one perhaps I will do a wip.

Looks great and. MAC has some old Tabu decals for the MP4/2 so I can change it to a full liveries race version. A McLaren just doesn't look right without the Mboros. Which races used that similar rear wing configuration that season? Or Better question which other races could be built from that box with limited modification?

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Bigasshammm wrote:I got my two about a week ago. I'm about to start one perhaps I will do a wip.
Great! A w.i.p. will be very much appreciated! :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

gilles.r wrote:... confirm the positive opinion given by Nigel, the quality is at least, an probably better than Tamiya
but far away better than Fujimi and Hasegawa
Bye
Gilles
As the "Four Yorkshiremen" (a funny Monty Python skit) would say;
"Luxury! When I was a boy, we had to make F1 models from bent bottle caps and old newspaper. Then our father would come home, and beat us round the 'ead for not gettin' the body colour right." LOL

I agree the the Aoshima / Beemax MP4/2 quality looks good (I just got mine). But how far we've come, how far we're come!

Cheers, Chris

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I like how this kit gets compared to "Tamiya" quality, how "Tamiya" is always the standard by which others are judged. It's a real shame that Tamiya have all but deserted us in 1/20 and practically in 1/24, because then we could truly judge "Tamiya" quality in today's market. It's sad that the company that set the standard in our hobby no longer compete in our hobby. But hats off to Aoshima/Beemax, Fujimi and the rest, because without them we'd have nothing to compare..
The Mclaren looks like a very nice kit. I didn't pre-order one, but after seeing it and reading the favourable reviews I just might get one now. Let's hope more will follow...
Steve Noble