1/43 3D Printed Indycar almost complete...

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

1/43 3D Printed Indycar almost complete...

Post by dgwoodward2 »

I am in awe of the detail seen on all the cars posted throughout the forum. The one thing about 1/43 however is the never ending use of multi-media throughout the kits. I am a big fan of Indycars from 84 and to the present day. The downside of building kits is the lack of modern day cars. Certainly Michael at IndyCals produces the depth of decals required, but actual kits are non-existent. The newest was actually the Sato/Alonzo cars from 2016.

So I recently decided to try my hand at finishing one of Terry's 3D printed Indycars (https://www.ebay.com/usr/indycarmodels? ... 1543.l2754). Definitely a medium I am not used to and required me to pirate some wheels and tires from other kits I had in progress.

Used MCW Finishes Bare Metal lacquer paint over their light gray primer which I think reproduces the silver well for the smaller scale. Then used Indycals 1/43 version decals with Gravity Spain's 2K Clear. Used chrome pen to hit the suspension pieces.

I still may add some carbon fiber decals to the side to produce a cleaner line between the sidepods and undertray. Once I add the rear wing and mount on a BBR case/base with the gray surface, I think I will look pretty good. Definitely as good as I could get from MiniChamps, etc. if such a scale were produced in diecast (which they are not).
power 143 2.jpg
power 143 1.jpg
I have another version of a modern car from Terry I am playing with where I cut off the suspension pieces and will try my hand at scratch building the necessary parts. I will post any future progress on that one as well if anyone is interested.

Take care.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: 1/43 3D Printed Indycar almost complete...

Post by CaptainMark »

Wow that's a very cool build!
Image Image

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: 1/43 3D Printed Indycar almost complete...

Post by stubeck »

Wow looks cool! A big problem I've had with 3d printing cars has always been getting decals, good to see that someone is taking care of it.