View topic - WIP: Indy Cars

WIP: Indy Cars

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

WIP: Indy Cars

Postby dgwoodward2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:10 pm

So I have been out of the hobby for a number of years and the "lockdown" (and kids getting older) prompted me to jump back in.

During the lockdown I completed the following:
1. Built a workbench in the garage for the spray booth I built along with an appropriate venting to the outside (having dedicated place to have things makes a big difference).
2. Purchased a new HVLP Iwata Mini-Spray Gun (requires a bit of practice).
3. Invested in new supplies (thanks to Coast Airbrush, Scalefinishes.com, Gravity Paints Spain, USA Gundam Store, and a bunch of Amazon & e-bay sellers).
4. Really spent time planning out the building of the kit(s) I am working on.
5. Developed a higher level of patience (still a works in progress with that one).

So first up in my return are 2 IndyCars. One I have had for some time and the other is one I picked up last year.

1. Formula Models (RIP Colin Fraser) 1/43 Target Reynard of Alex Zanardi. Used Scale Finishes Target Red over gray & white Badger Stylynz primer. Next step is to 2K clearcoat.

IMG_4878 sm.jpg

2. Brickyard Models (kit was for the Alonso or Sato Indycar from 2017) 1/43 Steak n Shake car of Graham Rahal. Used Scale Finishes RAL 3028 Red over gray Badger primer with Indycals decals. Mounting on BBR case (leaving space for a plate to hopefully have Rahal sign someday. Continuing with decals, then a round of 2K clear, then some flat black along with more decals and then some semi-gloss clear.

IMG_4876 sm.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Also playing with an Ampersand March 84C for Rick Mears.

Take care and stay safe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dgwoodward2
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: WIP: Indy Cars

Postby feelgood » Thu May 21, 2020 1:29 pm

Wow!!! Those look fantastic, well done!
feelgood
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Postby Formulamike » Thu May 21, 2020 3:07 pm

Very good Kits, good start
Follow the end
Mike
Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Belugawrx » Thu May 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Great stress relievers aren't they..?
Keep posting, lookin good so far
Bruce Coy
Belugawrx
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Favorite F1 Team: WolfFerrariLotusWili

Postby Indy1977TX » Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Love the Reynard and the Dallara looks really good, too. I think one the front nose wicker, the teams tend to split the decals so the logo looks correct from the front. Not sure about that on yours but just a heads up to check it before clear. Great job, keep it up, and do not forget the pics - especially the Mears 1984 winner!!

Jordan
Indy1977TX
Team Owner
Team Owner

Favorite F1 Team: Penske, Lotus, Jordan, McLaren, and Ferrari

Postby dgwoodward2 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Indy1977TX wrote:Love the Reynard and the Dallara looks really good, too. I think one the front nose wicker, the teams tend to split the decals so the logo looks correct from the front. Not sure about that on yours but just a heads up to check it before clear. Great job, keep it up, and do not forget the pics - especially the Mears 1984 winner!!

Jordan

Thanks Jordan. That one got by me. I just pulled the decal of and will replace it. Also noticed that the wicker is black in this car. Luckily I have a spare set of decals.
dgwoodward2
Backmarker
Backmarker

Postby steveracer » Sat May 23, 2020 10:07 am

Nice little cars....perfect project for the Month of May.

Going to be ready to race tomorrow? ...uh, cancel that, you have more prep time. LOL
steveracer
F2
F2

Favorite F1 Team: Brabham

Return to 43rd Forum