15 mm wire wheels?

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
vrba
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Harry
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari, Renault
Germany

15 mm wire wheels?

Post by vrba »

hi all,
I was unable to find any 1/43 wire wheels suitable for early GP cars on the market.
That's approx. 15 mm in diameter (in this particular case, I would like to replace the original wheel of the John Day 1914 GP Mercedes).
Any hint would be appreciated!

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Re: 15 mm wire wheels?

Post by Joaquin »

15mm is a really big wheel so you need a model of the early years. A not expensive alternative is a Brumm model but the wire wheels were not common in the early days. One possibility could be one of these. I think I have both models so I could measure the diameter but I will be out of home until 19th

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I was about telling you the same as Joaquin.
Some Brumm (or even Altaya/IXO) modles are cheap online and also have plastic injected wire wheels that look really fine, surely better than an old WM wheel.
Also some brands as Top Model have true PE wire wheels, though the size might be a problem....
BTW, Joaquin we can't see the pics :wink:
ED: 15 mm suits a 15 inch wheel at 1/24. There's good PE stuff like that, you may use it for the wheel center.

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

JamesB wrote:I was about telling you the same as Joaquin.
Some Brumm (or even Altaya/IXO) modles are cheap online and also have plastic injected wire wheels that look really fine, surely better than an old WM wheel.
Also some brands as Top Model have true PE wire wheels, though the size might be a problem....
BTW, Joaquin we can't see the pics :wink:
ED: 15 mm suits a 15 inch wheel at 1/24. There's good PE stuff like that, you may use it for the wheel center.
I can see both pics. Don't know what could I do. Models are Brumm Ford 999 wire wheels version and Blitzen Benz white

Topic author
vrba
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Harry
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari, Renault
Germany

Post by vrba »

Thank you all!
I tried measuring the photo based on the Blitzen Benz wheelbase of 2800 mm and the wheel rims seem to have the outside diameter of 14.5 or so mm. That's good enough!