Strengthening white metal suspension parts

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
Scale43
Spectator
Spectator

Strengthening white metal suspension parts

Post by Scale43 »

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum.

I am basically retired and getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus.

I have purchased some of the older FDS and Tameo Kits. These are kits with simple white metal suspensions, single-color schemes, and sparse decals. I feel that these early kits will require all of the basic skills (cleaning, assembly, airbrush, detail painting, decals, etc.) and that they will be good learning exercises as I eventually move into more complex kits.

My questions are: 1) I am concerned that the white metal suspension castings might sag under the weight of the model over time. After doing the basic clean up of these suspension parts, would it add strength to them to lightly coat the braces with thin CA glue or two-part epoxy? I am thinking that if I am careful, not only will the glue fill any small pits/voids in the castings, but once dry the glue might add strength to the overall assembly. 2) I believe both glue types are sandable and paintable?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

RM

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Strengthening white metal suspension parts

Post by jaydar »

Ah retirement, maybe one more year for me!!

I have many 1/43 FDS and Tameo kits. Mine all actually came out a little on the high side. I put a nickel under most and over time they settled to look much better. For the the F1 kits with skirts just let them go down to the skirts. I never strengthened them. Once the car settles to their support (the nickel in my case) there is no longer a load on them.

Best of luck in a great hobby this is a super place.

Joe.

Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Post by Formulamike »

Hi RM
welcome in the best modelcar forum of the world.
Look here in the 43rd forum and look by http://www.tameokits.com
under tutorial, specials from Michael Kelly, you have won much time when you read this, it is great for all.
Much fun and enjoy the 43rd world.

Formulamike

Topic author
Scale43
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Scale43 »

Hi,

Thank you both for the replies.

It sounds like the suspensions will be strong enough, so I will just build the kit as is.

I did read the 43rd guide at Tameo; thank you for that. I have also found and digested a copy of The World of 43rd. Having built only figures, I have never: used an airbrush, used PE parts, used acrylic or enamel paints (I've always painted in artists' oils), or used decals. I have been reading a lot about these various facets of model building, but reading about something and actually doing what one has read about are two very different things. I must say, I am curious to see how this will come out.

I've thought of doing a WIP here to get help and suggestions along the way, but I fear cluttering up the forum with silliness... I see the other models are built to very high standards, and I cannot imagine mine will approach anywhere near this level, so I am reluctant to do so. Still pondering this.

RM
Evil genius is still genius...

orsoballerino
F3
F3

Post by orsoballerino »

The best way to gain model building skills and experience is by building models. My recommendation is to set your primary goal at simply pleasing yourself. Posting a WIP here would be a great way to start.

Topic author
Scale43
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Scale43 »

orsoballerino wrote:The best way to gain model building skills and experience is by building models. My recommendation is to set your primary goal at simply pleasing yourself. Posting a WIP here would be a great way to start.
Agreed. I have read, and read, and read... then I read some more. My head is filled with a myriad of techniques, all of which I will try for the first time.

Look for my first virtual build soon. :)

Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

here is my (really old) thread on building an older tameo kit. might be of some help:

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... it=tyrrell

Topic author
Scale43
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Scale43 »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:here is my (really old) thread on building an older tameo kit. might be of some help:

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... it=tyrrell
Hi,

Much appreciated.

I actually had found (and read) your thread. I could not see much (because Photoshop blurred your photos), but I understood your process and enjoyed reading about the build.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

If I'm allowed to do a WIP you won't have any problems! Just remember that many people are "lurkers", so they may appreciate your work but not comment. I've had to remind myself that as my TS050 post didn't get much feedback or comments at points but people still liked it.

Topic author
Scale43
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Scale43 »

stubeck wrote:If I'm allowed to do a WIP you won't have any problems! Just remember that many people are "lurkers", so they may appreciate your work but not comment. I've had to remind myself that as my TS050 post didn't get much feedback or comments at points but people still liked it.
Understood. I prefer lurking myself. :)