"Fixing" old Onyx helmets for re-use?

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
Maximus
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

"Fixing" old Onyx helmets for re-use?

Post by Maximus »

G'day everyone. Just looking for some advice.

I have a bunch of old Onyx 1/43 diecasts that are dying fast...as those old Onyx cars tend to. You know, flaky decals and mouldy tyres. However I have a '95 Tyrrell and I would like to "re-purpose" Tarquini's head....if possible. The reason being that Ive never seen Tarquini helmet decals and his helmet design is well beyond my limited capabilities in 1/43.

Soooo heres my questions: My Tyrrell Tarquini helmet is the typical one piece decal that wraps around the entire helmet. In this case it is well applied and in perfect condition. Is there some way I can keep it that way? I mean would a normal clear cote (Tamiya rattle can) be of any use here? Or would it still eventually go flaky and decay? (most likely due to the decal being applied straight onto plastic with no paint in between).

Secondly, If a clear cote is a good thing then at what point should I apply some upgrade decals? That is cover the Mild Seven decal above the visor with a Camel decal. Should I cote then decal? Or decal then cote....or cote-decal-cote????

And lastly, just to my eyes the Onyx head/helmets look slightly oversized compared to Spark and later Minichamps cars....does anyone think the Onyx head would look too out place amongst a display of better quality 1/43 diecasts?

Anyway, hope that all makes sense. Any advice gratefully accepted and thanks in advance.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: "Fixing" old Onyx helmets for re-use?

Post by JamesB »

Hi Max. I am working the 1/43 helmets case a bit lately...
Not sure now the measures. Easier to tell at 1/24 ---> 1/12 scales, sure.
Collecting real helmets you see there are BIG size differences. The thing is, at 1/43 is harder to tell as some decimals are quite a lot in scale.
Let's see; apparently, Oy had two helmet designs: one that was one with driver body (until 192 included) and then from 193 onward, a separate helmet that paradoxically was worse (IMHO) in terms of shape and probably a tad smaller than due. But maybe it's just 1992 one was a bit too big.
Anyway, looks fine to me.
Besides, they were masters in the art of making a one-piece decal work.
So...
1-Sprays? forget. Quite aggressive and not a good idea for a small part
2-Your friend is acrylic X22 applied with hand brush, gently and carefully.
3-Always fix, settle, "save" the current decal before adding one.
.or cote-decal-cote????
Yes, that's it! :D
4-Oversized? No, I see it fine, honestly. It's nichamps helmets that I find sme times a bit small.

Hope this helps 8)

Topic author
Maximus
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: "Fixing" old Onyx helmets for re-use?

Post by Maximus »

Thanks JamesB....that seems to mostly confirm what I was thinking. And I will cede to your greater knowledge on the clear cote and use the X22 as you have suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.