GP`s 1:43 bench / Tameo Benetton B194 GP Spain/ Australia

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: GP`s 1:43 bench / A BMW Touring Car story

Post by senninha »

I‘m also deeply impressed by the amount of cars you build. How many hours your day have :)? And how much models you built overall?
Did you ever think about building a bmw artcar?

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: GP`s 1:43 bench / A BMW Touring Car story part 2

Post by gp-models »

Many thank`s for kind comment mate! :)
About your questions, unfortunately my days have only 24 hours :lol: Most of these models are builds i did over the years, but i lost a few hundred pics by a hardware crash of my pc about 10 or 12 years back, realy sad cause there was some interesting stuff included, BMW art cars too. I did the Calder art car from provence moulage and the Lichtenstein art car, also the Colani BMW 320 Gr.5, but unfortunately these pics are lost. :(
Overall i realy can`t say a clear number, must have been about 400 up to 450 1:43 kits since i started car modeling in 1992, have 3 big "Aktenordner" full of kit instructions from the models i did. Been working half way pro modeler for a couple of years cause i had a friend which owned a car model shop here in my hometown and i build a lot for him and his clients. Also been working for 2 well known diecast model producers and did research for them. Did a lot of diecast conversions, means F1 cars in 1:43 and 1:18 with tobacco logos for my friend, was fortunated by my job back then cause i was early at home and modeled sometimes till night.

Coming back to the Art cars, here is my fantasy BMW E36 Lichtenstein art car, based on a M3 streetversion i converted it into a race car with complete scratch build bodywork, wings, diffusor, and so on plus interieur with roll cage cell, race seat, steering whell, electronic boxes etc. Hope you like it ;)

Now coming to an E36 GTR diecast model i converted into a fantasy version, the tricky job was the paint job with it`s 3 colours, took me some time to get it done the way i wanted it to be. I put on left over decals like the engine which came from the spare decal from my BBR V12 Le Mans build i did. :lol:

Next is an E46 GTR as Tobacco version based on a diecast model

Next are 3 conversions again based on diecast models, but real race versions, the Jägermeister M1

Last but not least, the Vogelsang M1

Hope you like it!
Take a stand!

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Forgot to add the Colani version, here a picture of a model i found on internet, made by competition 43. The back of the car is typical Colani design, round like a ball :D

Take a stand!

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

Your updates taking my breath away, that 3 coloured E36 looks amazing and the Lichtenstein conversion too! :D
Great works, your a master in paint jobs i have to say :D

The morone is playing a game on his bs, going nuts, realy sick! :roll:

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Many thx for kind comment mate, still like such paint jobs, a bit difficult sometimes in this scale, but allways a pleasure to do it. :)
:lol: :lol: I don`t care about him, know the game and you can catch him+ all the time, maybe a mental thing :lol:
Take a stand!

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: GP`s 1:43 bench / A BMW Touring Car story part 3

Post by gp-models »

Some more BMW conversions i built, all based on diecast models.
Strating with the BMW E 46 M3 GTR Testcar which i did in 1:18 too, Nürburgring 2002.

ANother fantasy versions, Michelin Testcar BMW E 46 GTR

The Weisberg M3 E36 raceversion with Sprint 43 wheels and scratch build roll cage, all coloured "dots" handcut and one by one aplied

Another Weisberg M3 E36 raceversion with scratch build rear wing, roof spoiler, roll cage and Sprint 43 wheels

Next is a Tuning version as i was in love with the E36 at that time, again scratch build rear wing, Sprint 43 wheels, racing seatbelts and outer mirrors

Now coming to an open version from E36 M3, chopped the roof, colour stripped like all others i made and re painted, metal turned gear shifter, raing window wiper, blackened rear lights and sport mirrors, scratch build rear wing as well as Sprint 43 wheels

Another 3 coloured sheme with scratch build rear wing, Sprint 43 wheels, scratch made exaust pipes and racing seat belts

Hope you like it
Take a stand!

gary
Spectator
Spectator

Post by gary »

[quote="gp-models"]Many thank`s for kind comment mate! :)
About your questions, unfortunately my days have only 24 hours :lol: Most of these models are builds i did over the years, but i lost a few hundred pics by a hardware crash of my pc about 10 or 12 years back, realy sad cause there was some interesting stuff included, BMW art cars too. I did the Calder art car from provence moulage and the Lichtenstein art car, also the Colani BMW 320 Gr.5, but unfortunately these pics are lost. :(
Overall i realy can`t say a clear number, must have been about 400 up to 450 1:43 kits since i started car modeling in 1992, have 3 big "Aktenordner" full of kit instructions from the models i did. Been working half way pro modeler for a couple of years cause i had a friend which owned a car model shop here in my hometown and i build a lot for him and his clients. Also been working for 2 well known diecast model producers and did research for them. Did a lot of diecast conversions, means F1 cars in 1:43 and 1:18 with tobacco logos for my friend, was fortunated by my job back then cause i was early at home and modeled sometimes till night.

Happy to see another builder of BMW Artcars. Fantastic subject, too bad there are so few kit options out there. The E36 Lichtenstein looks amazing and great work around! I've built Provence's Calder, Lichtenstein and converted a Baymo M1 kit to the Warhol livery. In my stash I've got the Stella CSL as well but little time to do it the justice it deserves..

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank`s for kind comment gary, nice to see you like BMW art cars too and also build a couple of them! :)
What do you think about the Baymo kits and their quality? I build 2 E36 kits and they have been a nightmare, especially the vacuum formed windows which did not fit in any way, looking realy bad.
The options for such art cars are realy low, not much around as your pointing out right, but Michael from Indycals did a 1:24 sheet from the Lichtenstein art car to convert the Tamiya kit, otherwise there is only the Minichamps diecast model in 1:18 at large scale, but they are realy rare and cost nowadays 400-500 bucks! :?
What might be the costs for the real master model where Roy made the design? I guess a fortune!
Not long ago someone here posted pics of a 1:12 conversion half way done from the Calder art car, realy impressing and i bet superstunning once finished.
Take a stand!

gary
Spectator
Spectator

Post by gary »

I remember when the 1/18 Artcars were available from BMW but decided didn't want to spent around $2k for the complete set and didn't have the space to properly display them...I regret that now with the ridiculous secondary prices make getting some not an option at all. Yes there are some 1/24 and 1/12 decals out there but I pretty much only build 1/43 these days due to space and the fact they look like little jewels :) especially the Tameo superkits and MFH ones

Can't offer much opinion on Baymo kits except the M1s which are quite nice and accurately shaped. The windows on them fit reasonably well too. The roof is a bit flat looking but an easy fix with some putty. On the Warhol I tried some home printed decals from a friend but they didn't sit too well over the body creases and folds. I ended up, as Warhol did, hand painting with artist oils leaving brush strokes as on the real car. Not scale sized strokes but they add to the overall homage to the car.

I'll share some pic here if interested once I figure out how...

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Still doing 43 for the same reason, if i had build all in 1:12 i would need a factory hall to display them, so better doing 43`s! :lol:
Still have some Lichtenstein decals left over if your in need of those again. ;)
Like Tameo kits as well, the best 43 stuff around, very well designed and engineered in my opinion. I also build only 2 Baymo kits, client works, but after all the issues i had with them i decided not to buy some for myself, maybe the decals to convert diecast ones like i did on the Jägermeister M1`s.
Would like to see your works, allways nice to see other 43`s! I load my pics up to Flickr to present them, you can upload 1000 pics there, but there are also other free picture hosting services around. ;)
Take a stand!