GP`s 1:43 bench / Tameo Benetton B194 GP Spain/ Australia

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: GP`s 1:43 bench

Post by gp-models »

Today presenting two diorama`s i did, using Minichamps Diecast models for the cars, adding Denizen Driver Figures and an Omen Fotograph man in 1:43.
I`ve been a longt time fan of the german Touring Car Championship in the middle 90`s, called DTM and after s#?tty Eccelstone took his hand on it, all messed up in one year! It was one of the greatest Touring car series around, till Eccelstone came up, but enough from this.
The first Diorama showed a race situation between Manuel Reuter and Ellen Lohr, Reuter tried to get infront on the brakes at a sharp corner, his inside frontwheel is standing and smoking cause he was on the limit, Ellen Lohr did not get managed it and get off the track with leaving a hough clowd of dirt. It was the 1994 season.
Here is what happened....

The next is a race situation at Magny Cours 1995, the name of the championship has changed from DTM into ITC, caused be Bernie, and it showed Dario Franchitti infront of Klaus Ludwig. Again detailed with Denizen driver figures, a bit of weathering, etc.

Hope you like it.

Next uodate will be a WIP about the AUDI R8C GTP Testcar from Snetterton, using a BBR kit as base and fully carbonized.
Mobi gave me the motivation to do one more :lol:
Take a stand!

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

looks great. i've built the benetton as well... one of the most difficult builds i've done.

your dioramas are excellent.

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Wow! Very cool stuff! I'm aching to get building again now that Spring has arrived and this is quite the inspiration. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: GP`s 1:43 bench AUDI R8C WIP

Post by gp-models »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:looks great. i've built the benetton as well... one of the most difficult builds i've done.

your dioramas are excellent.
Thanks a lot Mr G, i can copy that the B194 is difficult, especially the rear wing with bending the pe parts into shape. But some WCT kits are realy more difficult to be done! And thx to the dioramas :)
vanhookvintage wrote:Wow! Very cool stuff! I'm aching to get building again now that Spring has arrived and this is quite the inspiration. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
Thanks a lot for compliment Greg and nice to see that this is something that brings you back to the modeling road again! :)

Here is a first teaser of what i have on the bench, BBR`s AUDI R8C GTP Le Mans 1999.
Image[/url]
Take a stand!

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Re: GP`s 1:43 bench Update AUDI R8C WIP

Post by mobiusone »

GP, just whatever you do DON'T pull a me :lol: :( If you need any spare parts for something that goes flying or what have you, I have a WHOLE CAR for you to cherry pick off of. Can't wait to see how a R8C pro does it :D
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Re: GP`s 1:43 bench Update AUDI R8C WIP

Post by blakebirk »

Beautiful work!
I'd like a large sale kit of the Ferrari Arno Monoposte, what a cool boat!

That first diorama is fantastic! you get a real sense of motion from the car in the gravel trap.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: GP`s 1:43 bench Update AUDI R8C WIP

Post by gp-models »

mobiusone wrote:GP, just whatever you do DON'T pull a me :lol: :( If you need any spare parts for something that goes flying or what have you, I have a WHOLE CAR for you to cherry pick off of. Can't wait to see how a R8C pro does it :D
:lol:
That was not my intention! :D
But after years i wished to see a build of it, and with your start, you get me highly motivated to do something in this scale too after many years not buidling realy! I love this car a lot, that`s why i have 3 kits in my stash hanging around to be done.
I would not call me a pro, only love this car and have a few things around it like a book about the developement and the Le Mans Press map, usefull things to do the Prototype from the Roll out at Snetterton. ;)
Thanks about the offer, but no need and i mainly wish to see you finishing it! :) I have some Windows left i think, and maybe i can do you a copy of the headlight covers if you like, so you can move on and finish it finaly, would be great to see the LM car too ;)

blakebirk wrote:Beautiful work!
I'd like a large sale kit of the Ferrari Arno Monoposte, what a cool boat!

That first diorama is fantastic! you get a real sense of motion from the car in the gravel trap.
Thanks for the compliment, nice to see you like those things :)
About the boat, i got another Provence Moulage kit of the Arno Monoposte, another version with different cowlings, and......in 1:18! :lol: This is it:

But even in 1:18 it is a realy hugh model! I think in 1:12 it will be more than 50cm long, but a real stunner! :)
Seen it as RC model in 1:8 or 1:5 i think to remember, but this is a size, you can use it as table! :lol:

Well back to the bench, and the first progress on the AUDI.
Here you can see the car i`m trying to build, not a hugh conversion, only some points that has to be reworked.

The thing in 1:43 is that everything is pretty tiny and scratch building is time consuming, no matter if the parts are small. Sometimes a difference of 0,1mm in thickness or position of the part more or less makes a hugh difference in this scale!
I started to solder the rear wing support and the diffusor to get strength in these parts, using superglue is an option, but very fragile finaly to handle the part, so up to the solder! The parts need a cleaning from the flux and a finaly sanding to smoothen it out.

Now i added some styrene bits i scratch build to the rear end, as comparsion another BBR kit beside it to see the changes. The small edge needs some putty, and the air connector will be removed and replaced with a turned part, so i drilled o hole for it.

I opened up the duct on the side fender a bit and removed the small duct beside it, the Testcar has none ducts in this place.

I removed the engraved panel lines in the back, the 4 openings in the roof and the round engraved circle on the back. Then i re engraved the mean panel line.

Here you can see the changes in comparsion to the original kit. Some imperfections in the surface will be removed when i sand the primer finaly. I blew after each changing a light coat of primer to check the surface and fill up scratches. When all changings are done and the model is sanded, it will get one last shot with primer for the black.

Next step was opening the front wheel house, BBR provides a closed one, but this is depening on the production and to give this part strength, it is very fragile when opened, so i have to be carefull from now on.

Next is removing the engraved line for the front flap, i used superglue and activator for this. After this, i engraved the original line underneeth new.

Now on to the difficult thing, changing the intake on the front. The references called for a splitted front with seperated inducts for the brakes which are a bit lower then the middle part. Did it with some styrene pieces and a bit of putty.
Sounds so easy, but it was a real nightmare about 4 hours to get it done! :roll: As i said, a tenth of a millimeter is realy much on a 1:43 model, but i am happy with the result, only have to smoothen it a bit before painting.

After some final sanding and a last coat of primer, ready to be painted

Take a stand!

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Re: Re: GP`s 1:43 bench Update AUDI R8C WIP 2

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

looks great! really impressed with the work you did on the front with the air intakes. that's not an easy modification and it looks excellent.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Very nice work! I like this car a lot too. Shame the regs favoured the open top versions and so that's what we got for years. ( O.k....leaving out the Bentleys :-)
Now look what we have. Roofs again, but with the big honkin' fins and holes in the fenders the prototypes are not a sight to behold. Just look at the 2017 Porsche 919. There's a football stadium missing its lights!

One hint for your roll-out version, if you don't mind: the surfaces in the valleys between greenhouse and fenders are still rough where you cut away the little intakes. That needs more sanding or it will show.
I thought I was fine on my build of the LeMans version but with the silver paint the mistakes really popped out. Still bugs me! The black/bare CF bodywork should be more forgiving though :-)
Last edited by jaykay on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Amazing work and in such a small scale. Keep it up, looking forward to the next update.

Jordan