Grip 1/8 Porsche Build

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: Grip 1/8 Porsche Build

Post by daniel »

Great built so far..love the decals and paintjob. But please think about the seatbelts and maybe some kind of flocking for the chair

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by WardsModelBuilder »

Here are a couple more photos on the build, not a major update as I have had a busy week. I have been able to get the dashboard in place and the steering mechanism is complete.

Currently working on the details for under the hood, two tanks, battery and fire extinguisher which will all have some additional wiring and piping.

Thanks
Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice work so far, but the seat belts looking out of scale, tiny in comparsion to the seat. Maybe some tainted leukoplast tape would work, you can cut it to the size you need ;)
Take a stand!

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

They look way too small.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

gp-models wrote:Nice work so far, but the seat belts looking out of scale, tiny in comparsion to the seat. Maybe some tainted leukoplast tape would work, you can cut it to the size you need ;)
I don't have in scale cloth, but do have in scale seat belt components and decals for makes: boss, willans, sabelt, britax, arexons.
Sabelt set, see https://www.bestbalsakits.com/tamiya/ta ... umber=3579

Willans set, see https://www.bestbalsakits.com/tamiya/ta ... umber=3578

Decal set, see https://www.bestbalsakits.com/tamiya/ta ... umber=4096

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Thanks for the info Wim, will see what the clients wants to do. Cheers

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

An easy fix with the hardware you have is to make the tape twice as wide, use painted or markered on medical tape, and then cut at angle and taper at the hardware

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Hi guys, the seatbelts seem to have made quite an impression!! :D The customer has decided to go with the additional upgrade to the seatbelts that Wim has in stock so those will be changed in due course. Thanks all for the feedback. I've included a few more photos as the chassis section is now almost complete. I've added a little detailing around the front under the hood section, and the roll cage is now complete. This did not fit correctly out of the box and need a little manipulating to line up with the holes in the body section.

I've also been able to get the engine installed, which I was expecting to be tricky, but was surprising quite easy as everything lined up correctly.

Just waiting now for the body sections to fully cure before I can sand and polish them, the body needed a lot of adjustments made to the fitting brackets as the were very far off. Its not a kit that just goes together, needs a lot of tweaking both on the inside of the body shell and the top side of the chassis. But with a little trial and error and a lot of patience Ive got it to where i'm happy with it.

Same goes for the rear spoiler, at the moment it doesn't fit the body opening and will need quite a lot of adjustment to make it fit correctly.

Hopefully in the next update I will have the body finished, windows installed and finally positioned on the chassis, just have to receive those seat belts first!!!

Thanks
Chris

JastrebJ21
Spectator
Spectator

Post by JastrebJ21 »

Just by looking at the model, I can tell that you've spent more energy and time on this car than an actual Porsche employee does on an actual Porsche car :lol: but anyways, I'm jealous, the place I live in doesn't allow me to build something bigger than 1/43 cars, and I dream of 1/8 cars, 1/24 planes and 1/6 motorcycles...
Fortunately enough, I may get the chance next year to buy some real estate in Greece, here's to hoping I'll have the place to put a couple big builds there, and that I'll have the time to build them there of course!
Last edited by JastrebJ21 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Here is the final update on the 1/8 Porsche RSR that I have finally got finished. Once the front end detailing was done the model came together pretty quickly, with just the windows and external details that remained.

Its been quite a challenging build, I think fitment wise was the worst problem either due to the quality of the kit or the age of it. There was definitely a fair bit of warping of the body and especially the doors, The rear boot lid also gave me some issues.

All in all I think its turned out pretty well for a stock build other than a bit of wiring detailing that I added, its definitely a kit that you could really enhance if a full replica was required, but I think built straight out of the box it still is a good quality model.

I also made the changes to the seat belts to proper scale after the client agreed this was the way to go, thanks to Wim at bestbalsakits for offering the options to me that he had available in stock.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the build, now it's time to move onto the next one,

Thanks
Chris
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com