Post by indycals »

That is stunning!

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: McLaren MP4/8

Post by Martocticvs »

-Felix- wrote:Incredible work! Really nice to see all the details!

Only 2 things popped to my eye. First, when the wheels point straight forward, so should the steering wheel ;) Guess that's a 10 second job. Second, the antenna of the nose lid is floating in the air where it supposed to be when the lid is on, but it should stay on the lid I guess when you take it off:)

Again, fantastic job!!!
Actually the wheels are turned slightly to the left... it doesn't show clearly from this angle, but zoom out so you can see the whole image at once and compare the fronts to the rears, and you'll see it. The steering wheel is rigged up to turn with the amount of steering I enter for it - I might not have it moving in the correct ratio, but it definitely turns when it should.

The front antenna is mounted on a little plate that overhangs that hole in the top of the monocoque, which is probably why it looks like its floating. But it's as it is on the real car ;)

Cheers guys :)

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

Stunning! And my new wallpaper. :)

-Felix-
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Felix
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
Germany

Post by -Felix- »

My bad! :)

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Post by Husker »

Once again, I can only say how much I admire your work and thank you for how much you invested in every detail of it. It's simply the most accurate 3D model I've ever seen and fantastic reference material for anyone building/detailing this car.

Did you use displacement/bump maps for the rain tyres or were they fully modeled? I can't for the life of me find good references of these wet tires anywhere!
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

Fully modelled :) I can't find the photo I used for reference now, but it was clear enough for me to do this with reasonable confidence.
tyres.png
Just for fun, this is one part of what allows me to quickly flip between different race configurations for the car - this one controlling which rear wing to use:
xpresso1.png

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Post by Husker »

That right there. Absolutely stunning detail! wow!

What software are you using for this? I bet it took a long time to configure everything like that but totally worth it when it's done with all the configurations a couple clicks away.
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

All done in Cinema 4D. Tried to do most of that sort of thing as I went, but yes it did take a fair bit of time to set up. Kind of doubt I'll make enough use of it to warrant it, but... had to be done :)

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Wow, that's great CG, Marto! The textures, surface highlights and shadows look fantastic! Amazing!

Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

I finally got around to doing all the remaining tasks I'd set myself on this project: all remaining materials tweaks have been completed, and I have modelled up Senna's 1993 helmet. Actually, it seems he used two different helmet designs that year, but this one seems to have been the more common (Shoei, I think?).

Anyhow, not much to say about it - these final renders are basically my tribute to Ayrton Senna (a little late, though it may be!) and to one of the most beautiful cars in the history of F1.