IN A NUTSHELL: Ferrari 312T = T2 (77)?

About making you own...

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Re: IN A NUTSHELL: Ferrari 312T = T2 (77)?

Post by daves »

I have done all of the T series cars in 1/12th scale using a mix of Tamiya and Protar with some Museum Collection decals, pe, and turned wheels thrown in. I know they are not all accurate, but they look great together on the shelf.
Dave
312T.jpg
312T2.jpg
312T3.jpg
312T4.jpg
312T5.jpg

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Woooow that's a very nice series! Great effort and talent :D

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

TY James

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

James, 'just when I thought I had every example of the 312T, T2,T3,T4,, and T5...I was watching
the 1977 Brasil GP, from Interlagos, on You-Tube - and I couldn't believe what I saw! - The Area around the number on the cowling for both Carlos R., and Niki was different than later T2s from that year!
In other words, there is very little white paint around the side cowling numbers - it kinda does a swoosh around the top of the number - unlike latter cars that have a lot more white paint encompassing the number!
Take care, Querque

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Spiry wrote:Yes, it's a 312 T2 Protar cockpit recovered from a scrap on ebay over a 312T Tamiya kit !

I think you can "easily" adapt the cockpit of the t2 1976 Protar to make the early version of the T2 1977 using the same technique...

Often there are damaged or incomplete kits on ebay for little money, they are perfect for the purpose!
OR....if you can afford it...'just purchase the 312T2 1977 early kit from MFH! - it seems to be very accurate.
Just remember, as I stated above - there still exists the beginning of the season 1977 312T2 that raced at Argentina, and Brasil. I'm not sure if the cowling is the only difference from the "Early MFH 312T2" in the way that it is painted, but here would be a great project for Michael to take on (HMM?, I'll have to check his product list and see if he hasn't already done those decal versions...) If those decals do exist from INDYCALS, or elsewhere, I think the very early editions of the car could be done using the Early MFH kit w/out modifications.
Anybody out there know anything about this?
Thanx, Querque

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

I would agree. If you are on a budget - get the cowl from the Protar and convert a 1/12th Tamiya to a T2.

Otherwise, get an MFH version. I sold my Protar cause I couldn't stand it so much I rather submit an invasive medical procedure

Stev e

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

THanks bys, it's nice to see how these threads use to open the can of worms (in the good sense) and ideas, versions (even sudden will to buy an MFH) arise.

For me, surely the idea is sticking to what I have, nothing more, hehe.
But it's curious how some of us get to the point to " i wanna see this model no more" (sounds like L. Kravitz 8) ).
The rare version of the '77 T2 is the same that has the front NACA intakes still big and not white but red, with fine pinstriping on the edges? or this ne was already contemplated?