Roll your own

About making you own...

Topic author
robdebie
F2
F2

Roll your own

Post by robdebie »

I've been working on my Protar Lancia LC2 ( https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/lc2.htm ) for many years, struggling with nearly all aspects of this kit. One was the wheels and tires situation, that I just couldn't figure out. Yesterday I finally cracked most of these problems, and I know now that at least the front wheels are correct after all. But the tire is way too flat. I could not find a suitable replacement in my other Group-C kits.

Then it occurred to me: I could build my own tire by laminating strips of styrene around the wheel. But as far as I could remember, I had never seen an example of how to do that. It wasn't difficult, although my first attempt (shown painted coal black) showed some slight unroundness because I butted the strip ends at 90 degrees. In the second tire (shown in bare plastic) I used 45 degree cuts, and that worked far better. The painted one looks almost like a 'rubber' tire to me.

I'm sure I that will build some more tires now that I know the technique! One that I know for sure is the Airfix/Heller Peugeot 905.

Rob
Last edited by robdebie on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

shood23
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Roll your own

Post by shood23 »

Rob. Look up kmp koolmodelproduction on Facebook they make the better wheels and tyres for this kit.

Shaun

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

That looks great!

Badi
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pierre Gasly
Brazil

Post by Badi »

awesome!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Simple+effective=double good! 8)

Topic author
robdebie
F2
F2

Post by robdebie »

shood23 wrote:Rob. Look up kmp koolmodelproduction on Facebook they make the better wheels and tyres for this kit.
I actually just received them. They are beautiful, but they are still not correct for the narrow 1983/84 car that the Protar kit represents. I think I see the KMP-type wheels on some 1985 cars, but I need to spend more time on it.

Rob

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Thanks for the 45 deg. cut tip. I have had the same problem building tubes but never thought about that solution.