About making you own...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

BRAWN BGP01 from Mercedes MGP W01?

Post by JamesB »

That's it, guys.
Considering high price of the 1/20 Brawn GP, and having found cheap 1/24 Revell Merc, I decided I better try this.
What you think? I have the impression that tilting the full nose (from steering wheel onwards) down a bit I get a good aproximation, as the Merc loks more "rampante", right?
Then I think I better fill the "valley" in the cenre of nose rather than sanding the "crests" at the sides, as otherwise I'll spoil the profile.
I do know there are things in the main body that differ (OK, apart from obvious reshaping the fin, enlargening ehaust outlets) but these will be hidden by the white color overall.
If soemone has "official" wheelbase (Piola's 2009/10 book there?) of the Brawn it'll be welcome, also some pic of nude body at 1/20 if you have it.
Thanks
James

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Re: BRAWN BGP01 from Mercedes MGP W01?

Post by scaleautofactory »

I can provide a 3d.file...

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Hi James, there are two versions of the 1/20 kit from studio27, one with an early season rear end and one with a later season shape, would you require photos of each or just the late season one (which I assume will be closer to the Mercedes) are you okay for decals or would you like a scan of mine? I'll help out after work today.

I'm not in work right now on F1m or anything... Don't tell my boss.

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

My “go to” for plans to help in projects like this are the Tameo instructions. If you go to Spotmodel and search for the Brawn kit you’ll find their views of the car. If no one else finds the wheel base, I’ll check my Piola book later today. If you need help scaling the Tameo plans to 1/24th scale I can do that and send you a pdf.
Interesting project as I have the same Revell kit in my collection.

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks Torsten! that's a nice offer, though I think I am not into the 3D printing road, though I want to try some day :wink:
Tyrone, honestly not too bothered about suspension accuracies... after all it's just a "have the car, forget the thing" matter. Since I see the 1/24 route is easier. So what is easier for you :wink: Thanks a lot. Yes, late seems more reasonable as it's likely to be more Merc, though I think I like the "less sponsors" look... while I am also tempted by the MAPFRE decals... I have my cars wit them!! :lol: Anyway if you may post pics of both, that's be welcome, so I can compare.

Paul, good idea, though I fear I trust real thing's pics much more.
BTW, there's this:
https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewt ... 7&start=75
Anyway, what you may do with the plans or the Piola book will be truly welcome.
On the other hands, imagine huys I even considered to make a 1/12 unit from ne of those RC cars... hehehe.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Pictures In the album below.

https://imgur.com/gallery/13zZIPp

The picture at the top, with the swirly patterns over the exhaust area is the older 'launch' version.

i've also uploaded to my own website a PNG of the decals, the fluorescent yellow doesn't scan so looks whiteish.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. This is a build i'd love to keep up to date with.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

You may want to look at the F60 model from Tamiya. I plan to buy a few of them some day, one for the F60, one for the Brawn and one for an HRT.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

stubeck wrote:You may want to look at the F60 model from Tamiya. I plan to buy a few of them some day, one for the F60, one for the Brawn and one for an HRT.

This ^ ^ The F60 makes a good base for a Brawn, I cheated a bit and cast some of my brawn kits in resin, and glued them onto the remains of my original F60 -> Brawn GP conversion (that I originally did before I had the money to get the actual Brawn kits. Since I actually got the Studio27 kits I destroyed my work ;( to try and improve it. This is its current state. Hopefully one day i'll have an early season, Japanese GP and Brazil GP version of the kit.

(Sorry to hijack this thread with all of my pictures)

This is what my Old brawn model used to look like, looking back at it, it was a fair bit rubbish but I was proud of it at the time.
Id done an awful job of sculpting the sidepods

However after a bath in some isoporpyl, and some time under the dremel, and with some new resin copies of studio27 bits, the kit looks a lot more 'brawn' like - here it is in it's current state.

Still needs a bit of sanding etc - this is a very early work in progress!!! its really rough stages at the moment, more a 'proof of concept' that brawn bits could be stuck to a Ferrari F60.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks Tyrone for all the job done!
Pics are quite revealing.
No, surely no problem as I see no hijack :lol: after all that's a discussion thread on the Brawn, so it's absolutely handy what you show.
Even if it was a WIP it'd be fine. This kind of report of efforts on a subject make any thread richer.
I love the "when I didn't have the money for a S27..." aproach, I've been there, done that... and still do! :wink:
No, my idea in not using an F60. I'd probably do if it was a straightforward thing, but I see much job done there...
Otherwise, maybe an F2008 or F2007 would be a closer match. After all, as I always say, wheels, wings and suspension are not a problem.
Hmmm... I have some RC cheaply acquired F2007...! 8)

PS: the "family" pic with 4 cars is awesome, and that Ham's Macca looks just gorgeous...

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Thanks for compliments on the Mclaren :) It looks even better now as a finished kit, even that was a 'second attempt' i'd ordered a second set of decals, stripped the complete model and re built it, hence why some suspension construction was complete, and other bits fell apart in isopropyl.

Even though you've said you're not keen on the F60 method I've taken some pictures of the F60 conversion 'kit' I made next to the brawn, just for reference in case you go down a similar route. grey primer is the Ferrari f60, bare resin is the original brawn kit. https://imgur.com/a/Yv5QVi0 It's kind of a grey area, where I sort of feel bad for cloning the kit parts, but also they don't make it anymore so they're not losing any money from me.

https://imgur.com/a/Yv5QVi0