Sauber 2011 ideas

About making you own...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Sauber 2011 ideas

Post by JamesB »

Hey guys, checking the stash and there goes a 2011 sauber .
Even driven by De La Rosa, the car is ugly enough t be discarded.
So the question goes:
any ideas for transformation???

I am thinking particularly on the 2011 RB7, what you think, 2000's shape spotters? :wink:

shood23
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Sauber 2011 ideas

Post by shood23 »

It should be close enough with some changes as even back in 2011 sauber was still a very small underdeveloping team campred to redbull. I seem to remember either 2011 or 2012 they didn't have a similar style exhaust outlet to everyone else until very late season.

Shaun

Edit:

So from a quick look at the 2 cars rear body work is quite different, rear wing is different. Side pod inlets are difderent, Wheels are massively different and front wing is quite different too. Other than that the c30 is a good starting point maybe mixed with some Ferrari f150 parts also.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

shood23 wrote:
So from a quick look at the 2 cars rear body work is quite different, rear wing is different. Side pod inlets are difderent, Wheels are massively different and front wing is quite different too. Other than that the c30 is a good starting point maybe mixed with some Ferrari f150 parts also.
Thanks for the thoughts!!! :D
Rear wing I don't care much, it's easy to make.
Wheels, surely, replicas of the RB6 I suppose.
Yes the worst thing is the rear "tube" hot air exit on the RBR, not to mention how sidepods get low till disappearing at mid engine level.... :cry:
And the idea is not implying an F150th.... in fact I need a stck one!!
Hmmm, keep it coming anyway, ideas welcome, thanks!! :D

martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

What about a Renault R31?? The shapes of the nose, airbox, side pods are "not too dissimilar" I would say. One downside for any 2011 conversion is that Sauber and Ferrari were almost the only ones with a pushrod rear suspension. Always fun to think about possible conversions, and the bonus is that you don't have to worry about the usual caveat: where do I get the decals... ;-)

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

I've always liked the HRT car, lots of detail differences - nose height, wheels, wings etc but if anyone can do it, it's you!

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

That's just the situation in which we learn that the moaning about the "modern" cars being all the same is far from accurate. James, from a bit of a search in my books today, I have three suggestions, in order of difficulty to reshape:

1. a 2010 Force India
2. a 2011 Mercedes
3. a 2012 Lotus

Anyway, I think the Sauber isn't a good base for any car (except other Saubers...), specially because the almost "flat" and short front suspension geometry, and the square sidepod intakes.

To do the HRT I think is a lot easier to use the F10 as base kit.

But if you really looking for insanity in scratch... how about a Superformula? From the cockpit onwards it's just the case for lowering the nose a bit. The rest is just that: insanity...

albrecae
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Adrian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Great Britain

Post by albrecae »

do a cut in half version :D , I know it was a different car Sauber actually cut in half, but internally it will be basically the same.

albrecae
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Adrian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Great Britain

Post by albrecae »

do a cut in half version :D , I know it was a different car Sauber actually cut in half, but internally it will be basically the same.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Forgot to answer, guys!! :D
Well, the cut and see version is curious, sure, but these are not my cup of tea, haha, tahnks anyway.
MArcos, these look good suggestions, I'll take a look.
THanks for the other ideas too.
I'd surely prefer a winning Lotus, no doubt.