PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Bugatti Type 50B engine.

Post by PeteJ »

Thanks for the comment, but in this case it was more about perseverance rather than skill. It seems the smaller the pieces the more self education is required. I am a firm believer that something has to go wrong in order to learn. One learns very little from success.

Topic author
PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

After filing with a needle file to fit and finish, this is a test fit of the newly completed clips. I did this to be sure I had the holes in the valve covers drilled correctly.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Will you add the engines to your model or display it offside finaly?
Wish to see the kit of the plane, i`m highly interested in it! Taken my Le Mans Miniatures off the box and find out that an etched part is bended and not to be repaired :? Will have to see how i can fix this....
Take a stand!

Topic author
PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

gp-models wrote:Will you add the engines to your model or display it offside finaly?
Wish to see the kit of the plane, i`m highly interested in it! Taken my Le Mans Miniatures off the box and find out that an etched part is bended and not to be repaired :? Will have to see how i can fix this....
Thank you for looking in. They will be displayed inside the aircraft. The engines are located in the aft fuselage and are very visible. Here is the link to Paul Fishers kit. It is really a very well done kit. I just think it can be done better. https://fishermodels.indiemade.com/prod ... cale?tid=1

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

The model is looking fantastic in this scale and with the visible engines it would be a real stunner! :)
Will follow with interest, wish to start my 1:43 one day when i found a way to fix the problem with the damaged edged part.
Take a stand!

Topic author
PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

gp-models wrote:The model is looking fantastic in this scale and with the visible engines it would be a real stunner! :)
Will follow with interest, wish to start my 1:43 one day when i found a way to fix the problem with the damaged edged part.
Being all resin, there were several parts(props and hoses mostly) that were deformed after they came out of the mold. That is really only an incentive to scratch build replacements. That is kind of the reason this is going the way it is.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Might be an oppertunity to change the Props against some 1:48 Tamiya ones, would be much easier to replace them with some additional sanding to do them from scratch! ;)
The Le Mans Miniatures kit offers white metal Prop blades, casted well and straight, but even with imperfections easy to bend. One point i have to say this kit is well developed!
Your work on the engine is awesome, knowing the scale, brilliant work! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

The props present a difficult issue with replacement. This thing is 1:24 scale and the props are counter rotating which means they are very specific. I looked and 1:32 scale ones and there are just not good alternatives and the size is just wrong. I may be stuck straightening the kit ones. Only think is they are very fragile and I can see them breaking off at a most inopportune time. The coolant tubes out of the kit were very rough but you can see my replacements in the photos. We will see how this goes when I get the prop gear box done and decide on the props at that time. Thanks again for your comments.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Hi Pete, this is great. I know this is F1M, but I hope you keep posting here until the whole plane is finished!

Malc.

Topic author
PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Chinamalc wrote:Hi Pete, this is great. I know this is F1M, but I hope you keep posting here until the whole plane is finished!

Malc.
Thanks for stopping by. The Bugatti engines are highly modified versions of Gran Prix engines so I thought they would be of interest to people here. I am actually toying with with idea of building a highly modified version for a hot rod I have been working on for years. I will continue to post unless someone complains. I am a big fan of F1 and F1M and really don't want to step on any toes here.