Donor kits for 1/20 Alfa 183T & Ligier JS21?

About making you own...

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: Donor kits for 1/20 Alfa 183T & Ligier JS21?

Post by Icon_Modeler »

keithwwalker wrote:Icon, this is the best photo I could find of a Michelin rain tire at German GP 1983, please advise
If you can give me wheel widths front and rear and wheel diameters of what you intend to use for your conversion I'll tell you if they are going to fit. For some reason I was thinking that the RE30 was run in the late 70's. Indeed the 30B was 1982 and the 30C was 1983 according to Wikipedia. That being said then they should be the correct height and profile for an 1982-83 year car.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Emersonsquirrel wrote:I think you'll find that James was directing you to a picture in the 1983 Grand Prix International magazine with a picture of the wet weather pattern Michelins used in Detroit.
If you can look at images of the 1983 Detroit (US East), Belgian or German GPs on Motorsportsimages.com or revsinstitute.org you should be able to find what you are looking for.
For my money Derek is being unduly modest as his RE30B wet weather tyres look the right pattern and are likely to be the right size as well, given that the RE30C was the car that Renault used at the start of 1983.

Hope this helps

ES
Thanks!!! :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

I am in the USA and while I have purchased more than my fair share of English magazines through the decades, I have never seen GPI.

Topic author
keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

I am not expert on F1 Alfas, and the photo is not a period photo, possibly shown at Goodwood(?).
I have seen this photo presented as both a 183T and a 184T. It could even be a mixture of the two.

The roll bar is similar to a 183T, but seems taller than period photos. The 184T period photos show a covered or carbon fiber roll bar integrated with the bodywork.
The rear of the side panels seem like a 184T though.

Even Scuderia del Porto Alfa Romeo who run the car in the photo call this a 183T. I am just wondering what is period correct on this car that is either 183T or 184T
https://www.facebook.com/scuderiadelpor ... 9099878177

Is there a good book for a spotting guide to these 1980's F1 Alfas?
notfound404 wrote:The title says Alfa 183T, but the picture shows 184T ...

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

It's astonishing to me when I see this and remember how it used to be within the rules (legal) to have the driver's feet so far forward of the front axle in those days. I had almost forgotten.

Wow.

Best,
AJ

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Would wheels from Fujimi's Lotus 97T work?

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

keithwwalker wrote:I am not expert on F1 Alfas, and the photo is not a period photo, possibly shown at Goodwood(?).
I have seen this photo presented as both a 183T and a 184T. It could even be a mixture of the two.

The roll bar is similar to a 183T, but seems taller than period photos. The 184T period photos show a covered or carbon fiber roll bar integrated with the bodywork.
The rear of the side panels seem like a 184T though.

Even Scuderia del Porto Alfa Romeo who run the car in the photo call this a 183T. I am just wondering what is period correct on this car that is either 183T or 184T
https://www.facebook.com/scuderiadelpor ... 9099878177

Is there a good book for a spotting guide to these 1980's F1 Alfas?
notfound404 wrote:The title says Alfa 183T, but the picture shows 184T ...
Hi Keith,

You're on the money with your assessment of this car, it is the 183TB which was used in testing at the start of 1984 and to launch the change in sponsor from M**lboro to Benetton. As you suggest the obvious difference between this and the 184T is the conventional roll bar versus the carbon fibre 'triangle' on the 184T. The nose on the 184T is also a bit narrower and longer.
Unfortunately I can't point you in the direction of a good book, other than maybe Autocourse for 1984, however motorsportimages.com is pretty good for contempory images - even though the pictures they have of the 183TB are erroneously labelled '184T' :roll: :lol:
I think that the paper model you have looks like a pretty accurate rendition of the car and the wheels on the Goodwood car are the same as those used in period.

Hope this helps

ES

Topic author
keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

I think you are correct ES. I looked again at the Paperkit, and it is indeed the 1984 Press Launch version.
The sidepods seem to be either late season 183T or modification for cooling in prep for the 184T design.
Emersonsquirrel wrote: Hi Keith,

You're on the money with your assessment of this car, it is the 183TB which was used in testing at the start of 1984 and to launch the change in sponsor from M**lboro to Benetton. As you suggest the obvious difference between this and the 184T is the conventional roll bar versus the carbon fibre 'triangle' on the 184T. The nose on the 184T is also a bit narrower and longer.
Unfortunately I can't point you in the direction of a good book, other than maybe Autocourse for 1984, however motorsportimages.com is pretty good for contempory images - even though the pictures they have of the 183TB are erroneously labelled '184T' :roll: :lol:
I think that the paper model you have looks like a pretty accurate rendition of the car and the wheels on the Goodwood car are the same as those used in period.

Hope this helps

ES

RR
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda
Czech Republic

Post by RR »

Hello,

Alfa version you have is 183TB 1983 from the sponsor benetton launch for 1984 season.

The one from Goddwood is 183TB early spare 84 with updated front suspensions and shorter sidepods.
Also used in specification with a big rear wing + side winglets

Rado - Modely F1 Papercraft
Modely F1 Papercraft Publishing - Formula 1 and Sport Cars