2018 Formula E Car

BigF1fan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 2018 Formula E Car

Post by BigF1fan »

Have no interest in Formula E, I still prefer to hear internal combustion engines scream. Wish F1 would go back to the V10's screaming at 22,000 rpms or at least go back to the V8's.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I have watched a bit of a couple races. They look entertaining on television. Unfortunately for us loud motor fans this may be the future of auto racing. Will we ever be able to see them at Spa or the other big tracks? Who knows, I don’t think they have the power density yet for a race at a long track, these urban courses are very short. I love F1 as it is but have moved to the ICE is dead camp as far as the future of cars. ICE motor sports may end up going the same route.

All electric may be the next best hope but the F1 Turbo hybrid aproach at least makes an argument for relevancy.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

They're heading to getting much faster. The problem at the beginning was getting teams interested, thus why we had so many drivers switch constantly as budgets were limited. The first four seasons were basically running the same kit, and now with season 5 they're changing things considerably.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Not a sound guy but I am a visual guy and these are just too fugly to watch. I was somewhere that this was on one of the multiscreens and.... YUCK. So when I think the F1 cars are too ugly to watch, I just need to look at these. How did we ever get from a Lotus 79 or Ferrari 126C2 to this stuff? Now get off my lawn! :lol:

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

BigF1fan wrote:Have no interest in Formula E, I still prefer to hear internal combustion engines scream. Wish F1 would go back to the V10's screaming at 22,000 rpms or at least go back to the V8's.
That car is so ... atrociously ugly, it's blasphemy to call it anything like "formula...". It should belong to Hollywood flix world, but then again F1 is going down the drain as well, where are those screaming V12/V10/V8 creatures we all had the pleasure to hear not so long ago!?!?
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

I have to say, most Formula E races are pretty darn entertaining. It's probably got the best driver grid outside of F1 and while they're not fast, the cars race incredibly well.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

cbk57 wrote:I have watched a bit of a couple races. They look entertaining on television. Unfortunately for us loud motor fans this may be the future of auto racing. Will we ever be able to see them at Spa or the other big tracks? Who knows, I don’t think they have the power density yet for a race at a long track, these urban courses are very short. I love F1 as it is but have moved to the ICE is dead camp as far as the future of cars. ICE motor sports may end up going the same route.

All electric may be the next best hope but the F1 Turbo hybrid aproach at least makes an argument for relevancy.
I think ICE will be around for a while yet.
Batteries still take a while to charge and electricity still comes from carbon fuel. We may see manufacturers like Honda, Mazda and maybe Mercedes offering very efficient engines in the 60% efficiency range. Current F1 is in that range and with heat recovery like we see in F1 plus other technologies it’ll give electric cars a run for their money unless solar/nuclear completely takes over the grid.

Texasjohn
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Texasjohn »

All the silly gimmicks that are part of the race make it just plain stupid

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

turboF1 wrote:
cbk57 wrote:I have watched a bit of a couple races. They look entertaining on television. Unfortunately for us loud motor fans this may be the future of auto racing. Will we ever be able to see them at Spa or the other big tracks? Who knows, I don’t think they have the power density yet for a race at a long track, these urban courses are very short. I love F1 as it is but have moved to the ICE is dead camp as far as the future of cars. ICE motor sports may end up going the same route.

I think ICE will be around for a while yet.
Batteries still take a while to charge and electricity still comes from carbon fuel. We may see manufacturers like Honda, Mazda and maybe Mercedes offering very efficient engines in the 60% efficiency range. Current F1 is in that range and with heat recovery like we see in F1 plus other technologies it’ll give electric cars a run for their money unless solar/nuclear completely takes over the grid.
I agree ICE engines will be around for quite a while, but owning one is comparable to the care and feeding of a horse and buggy. I am off the ICE bandwagon when it comes to consumer production cars. Now we are chasing more and more elaborate solutions to do something we can do much more efficiently going foreword with a battery. I would hate to see the bill if on a 5 year old Acura if I bought a new one today for something going wrong. Same with BMW, Mercedes etc. I drive a Subaru Impreza with a CVT which is a pretty cheap car to operate but I think it is the past, not the future.

This discussion reminds me that I need to set up formula e on auto record, watch some of these races and get a better idea if I like this or not. So far I have only watched coincidently to seeing it on TV and not made a point to give it a shot.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I found I could get Formula E on demand so I am watching the first race of 2019. To my eye Formula E is what you get as far as driving goes if you take away the wings and have a very low downforce car. This might be as close as we will ever see to pure racing without all the wings of modern F1. This looks fundamentally like a good racing idea. I personally can live without the engine noise. Hopefully we will see these cars get faster and better over time. Since there is no F1 right now, I can live with this as an alternative until the F1 season starts.