2018 Formula E Car

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: 2018 Formula E Car

Post by stubeck »

I like the series, fun to see drivers who couldn't make it in F1 because of the money and also good to see a different amount of winners. Sure they're trying some wacky stuff with the design, but its not like people really think the modern cars are beautiful either.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Star Wars! Is that Darth Vader's car..??

Cheers, Chris

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Do you guys go to the Formula E races or watch on TV??

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Watch on TV, race in NYC was too expensive and had a terrible single seating location.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Reminds me those "Interseries" (was that the name?) that were like Canam or disguised single seaters, besides the Batmobile, or Current Indycar references.
I guess we are at an age (and that affects also cinema, music, street cars, comic...) where concepts like modern or futuristic have you asking "what?"
Beacuse we've probably seen it all. I remember when the changes made on a RE30B or 126C from 1981 to 1982 looked also futuristic, innovative...
It's hard to tell apart these things from 1 buck toy cars designs, for me, sorry.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

Orso wrote:Batmobile
That is what i thought too!! My biggest problem is with the front wheel fairings! I don't get that, the rest of it ok.

Joe.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

stubeck wrote:Watch on TV, race in NYC was too expensive and had a terrible single seating location.

Well if you watch on TV they are ok, but if trackside they make little to no noise. That's half the race experience.

I own one of these 4200's with decats and Larini exhaust(street legal). If you put in an electric motor it would be almost silent.

Hybrid not full electric. That way you won't need batteries that cause as much emissions to manufacture as running a gas car for 4-5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnUh4c6tD3k

Topic author
CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Well, I bring this topic up is that I find it interesting some of the ideas that were discussed in F1 in the past have been implemented in the F-E car.

The downwash rear wing was rejected by the Overtaking Work Group as ineffective in helping car overtaking sometime ago. It will be interesting to see if it works.

The rear differ is much bigger than that in F1 cars. It also keep the flat step bottom like the F1 cars. The minimum weight is 800kg!

However, the shrouded front wheels is an idea that McLaren also brought out in their F1 future concept. It does help cleaning the turbulence created by the turning wheels.

I watched a couple of the 1st season races. I find the cars sound like electric RC cars. I still prefer to see different car designs instead of everyone using the same design.
C K
Canada

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

A lot of people projecting what an FE car is. FE is whatever the makers want it to be. It doesn't have to conform to any preconceived notions. I haven't been following FE, but I will now. This car is @#$%ing awesome!

Topic author
CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Now, the series is controlled by FIA. So there are more technical issues can be determined by the series, not teams. However, big names like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Nissan Nismo join the series, this may change. I hope it will not go down the same path as F1 that politics is more than rational progress.
C K
Canada