Something a bit different from me...sports cars

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: Something a bit different from me...sports cars

Post by tubegenius »

Good question. I'm no expert. I just know I've been looking for the ultra-rare S27 sheet for a long time. I know the Hasegawa kit has been re-released with fresh decals, but it has no engine. I may have to settle for it.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

indycals wrote:Did the Castrol livery ever run in the low downforce setting?
No, the Castrol cars never used the same wing setup provided by the Tamiya kit. You would have to use a Hasegawa kit or one of the old Studio 27 kits or the new MFH release to make a proper IMSA car. Actually when you get down to brass tacks none of the kits past or present are correct for the IMSA car even the kit Hasegawa released as the Castrol car is not correct (imagine that!!) The underwing is much different between the IMSA car and the group C car. The underwing on a Group C car starts at the back edge of the chassis and is limited in height as measured from the ground where the underwing of the IMSA car starts under the drivers butt and is much higher from the ground than the Group C underwing.

Never the less I would second the request for Castrol markings especially in 1/12th. I have an extra MFH kit that is looking to have Castrol livery :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

@tubegenius,

I don't believe the Castrol-liveried XJR-9 ever used the low downforce configuration. The Castrol car was run by Tom Walkinshaw Racing's team in the IMSA GTP series in North America, while the low downforce config that Tamiya modeled was run at Le Mans, where the SilkCut livery was used by TWR's Group C team.

So if you want the Castrol livery with a full engine bay, you may have to try kitbashing the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. Andy Sapiro posted how he did that on the GPMA site: http://gpma.org/Archive/asjag.html.
I did have to laugh at how Sapiro ended that article, saying: "Here's my advice to anyone who wants to do one of these. First, you definitely have too much spare time." :lol:

Cameron

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Thanks for setting us straight, Derek. No sense wasting a Tamiya kit, I'll settle for the Hasegawa kit as is, though you say even it isn't right. What's wrong with these people?

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Yea, That's a very old article. If full detail is what you are after I would maybe suggest using one of the new MFH releases in 1/24th scale. The XJR-12 from 1990 or 1991 is very much the same as the 1990 Castrol Daytona winning cars. Even down to the underwing. Later in the development of the XJR-9 which turned into the XJR-12 the underwings became very similar to the point that its very hard to tell the difference unless you are able to flip the car over and look at the bottom.

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Icon_Modeler wrote:
indycals wrote:Did the Castrol livery ever run in the low downforce setting?
No, the Castrol cars never used the same wing setup provided by the Tamiya kit. You would have to use a Hasegawa kit or one of the old Studio 27 kits or the new MFH release to make a proper IMSA car. Actually when you get down to brass tacks none of the kits past or present are correct for the IMSA car even the kit Hasegawa released as the Castrol car is not correct (imagine that!!) The underwing is much different between the IMSA car and the group C car. The underwing on a Group C car starts at the back edge of the chassis and is limited in height as measured from the ground where the underwing of the IMSA car starts under the drivers butt and is much higher from the ground than the Group C underwing.

Never the less I would second the request for Castrol markings especially in 1/12th. I have an extra MFH kit that is looking to have Castrol livery :D :D
Eventually there will be a Castrol sheet, but the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits are different enough that it's a major project to do the same decals for each kit - that's why I haven't done a Hasegawa version of the Silk Cut (yet). That sheet was a bitch to do (even with the Tamiya decals as a template), and I'm just not motivated to do it again for the Hasegawa kit at this time, even though I have the kit decals to use as a template.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

Michael, you have absolutely no need to apologize. You've been amazing this year with all you have produced. We can hardly keep up with you. Myself, I've gotten 3 of your new sheets from this thread, plus the Peugeot 905 sheet that you released the end of 2017 (a friend included that one for me in an order he placed this year). And a bunch of your other new ones are very tempting...

Now I just have to find the time and energy to build them! (they're part of my "when I retire" stash :wink: )

You do deserve to be nominated for race car modeling's MVP award.
Thanks for all you do for us.

Cameron

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

+1 You are 2018 man of the year! I've got my eye on the Toyota 84C Wacoal and Warpzone versions.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

indycals wrote:Eventually there will be a Castrol sheet, but the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits are different enough that it's a major project to do the same decals for each kit - that's why I haven't done a Hasegawa version of the Silk Cut (yet). That sheet was a bitch to do (even with the Tamiya decals as a template), and I'm just not motivated to do it again for the Hasegawa kit at this time, even though I have the kit decals to use as a template.
Just a thought, give us the logos. The stripes are easy enough to mask and paint. The livery is actually quite simple in that regard not like the Silk Cut cars with all the yellow boarders around the purple.

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Starting the new year with a bang - four new liveries!

The white Vaillant livery has all the stripe decals the Tamiya sheet doesn't include.

http://www.indycals.net/decals/canam/77 ... nt935.html

http://www.indycals.net/decals/canam/82rothmans956.html