AND FINALLY FERNANDO´S BACK!!

F1 News and Info

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Re: AND FINALLY FERNANDO´S BACK!!

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

He could just settle into a second career in Indycars. It worked well for Fittipaldi.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Someone at spanish radio, yes. Antonio Ponsetti, a truly well connected guy. Basically the news (that I initially considered overoptimistic to say the least) of Sainz's Ferrari link came from same place, so I'll trust this time.
I bet he'll do fine.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

AJP01 wrote:I think Fernando's capabilities are being underestimated by some. The guy nearly won Indy three years ago and that is a track that requires both precision reflexes and huge attachments (David Hobbs-speak). He's probably still damn fast. I wouldn't bet against that guy...

AJ
He's a great driver, but he's also great at self promotion. Its very rare that you'll hear him talk about how great a car is. Also remember that the 2017 Indycars were relatively easy to drive and pass. He failed to qualify in 2018 after they were heavily revised.

I don't see a big reason for him to rejoin Renault myself. Renault doesn't exactly have the best record of sticking to F1 the last two decades, and so far its looking like only one team can win in F1, although I suspect its the only team in F1 he hasn't burned a bridge at either.

No offense to James, but I'll believe it when its official. Remember the spat he had at Red Bull about being offered a contract when in reality it was only initial discussions.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

stubeck wrote: I don't see a big reason for him to rejoin Renault myself. Renault doesn't exactly have the best record of sticking to F1 the last two decades, and so far its looking like only one team can win in F1, although I suspect its the only team in F1 he hasn't burned a bridge at either.
Sure, I'd much prefer to see him at the wheel of really competitive machinery. But probably the only half reasonable seat available for him.
stubeck wrote:No offense to James, but I'll believe it when its official. Remember the spat he had at Red Bull about being offered a contract when in reality it was only initial discussions.
No offence at all my friend!! :D honestly the way it was told it sounded very much as Sainz's hindisght news, maybe this time it's not true, who knows. Yes it might be a paid rumour to boost Spain's broadcaster numbers, but somehow this time I have a feeling about it! :wink:
On the other hand he has just denied it categorically, so being Fernando (and his crazy, crazy world) it might be a sign that it's true!

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Daryl_Huhtala wrote:He could just settle into a second career in Indycars. It worked well for Fittipaldi.
This.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

He’s even got roughly same age. Emmo rebooted his career at Indycar at 37...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Judging by today's race Vettel is out the picture for a drive next year, why pay a big wage to someone making rookie errors. Fernando is finished in F1, paying him the money he'd want isn't going to move Renault into the top six. Time to move on.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

So in the end the trick "if Fernando denies it, then it's true" does work... :lol:

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/29 ... nault-2021

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

That has always been my rule also James. If a team or driver absolutely denies a rumor, it's 98% likely true. This case also it seems...

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

daveyman wrote:Judging by today's race Vettel is out the picture for a drive next year, why pay a big wage to someone making rookie errors. Fernando is finished in F1, paying him the money he'd want isn't going to move Renault into the top six. Time to move on.
Just goes to show how much the car matters - Vettel looked invincible at Red Bull, now we know he's not that exceptional. It's easy to look like the greatest driver ever when you're in a car that literally anyone would win with.