stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Ferrari to Indy

Post by stubeck »

JamesB wrote:
stubeck wrote: I have a feeling no one has kept up and thinks that its still CART though!
Don't rule out them trying to buy a Penske, a Lola and a March model to get inspired!! :lol:
Nevertheless mixing these threats with people's jobs is a bit cheesy. :roll:
As you guys say, surely there are easier ways to keep them employed.
I don't really see it as a threat personally. I think people are confusing them saying they want to keep people employed with different projects with their comments in the 1980s. What they're really doing is telling their employees they are looking at ways to keep them employed. What I don't really understand is why they don't just talk about doing a Red Bull and having an A and a B team.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

They have. That is Alfa Romeo / Sauber.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

In that case, Ferrari would actually be the B team I think based on sales! Sauber has stayed as separate as they were before the buy out. It feels like me mostly as a renaming more than anything.

biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Post by biercemountain »

While intriguing, I'm not gonna hold my breath. The US is a major market for Ferrari and prestige plays a big part in their sales strategy. It's a big risk to go up against Chevrolet and Honda and come up short. This isn't to say that Ferrari isn't capable of putting together a world class engine, it's just easier said than done. The current engine suppliers have had a lot of time to fine tune their power plants to balance horsepower, fuel economy and packaging. Expectations will be very high for them to be immediately competitive and if they're not, I doubt they'll stick around.

ZTony8
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by ZTony8 »

With the upcoming budget cap at an amount much less than Ferrari spends in Formula 1 could it be that,rather than saving money, they're willing to spend the difference in another open wheel series?

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

If the teams are racing with a known budget cap in place it surely follows that liberty are gonna try and reduce the subsidies in the new concord agreement or the sponsors are gonna demand a lower rate card. The idea that ferrari, and other teams will have a massive lump sum of spare cash to go indy racing/hillclimbing or soapbox racing seems a little far fetched given current circumstances.