Mercedes new steering approach

F1 News and Info

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Mercedes new steering approach

Post by jaykay »

Well i think Ferrari can't complain. They usually get away with things too. Just take the fuel sensor saga of last season...

59hrld
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alan jones
Netherlands

Post by 59hrld »

As far as i know the red team has not been found guilty of breaking and rule in 2019.
Other teams have come up with ideas of how to get probebly the same power out put as the red engine...
Al of these ideas haven geven a no go from FIA, if the red cars had such ways of tempering with the fuelflow they did not go by FIA behoren putting it on their cars.
So as long as your stewards don’t fined anything illegal they were clear to race!

So don’t say the red team could not have done what Mercedes has done.!
Not so long ago i remember that FIA stond for Ferrari international Asistant.....

Just my thinking...

Richard

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

I really don't see how the team that gets a special $70 million bonus for existing and has a veto on technical regulations could possibly be seen as being unfairly singled out. I am a Ferrari fan but cannot deny that they have been given every advantage they could possibly need.

Alex_Kung
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Post by Alex_Kung »

Interesting concept and I would not think Mercedes would have put it on their car without clearing it with the FIA first.

What I find interesting about this if it is allowed to race is that other teams will have to develop the same thing to keep up and drivers will have to learn some new skills if they want to keep up.

I don't know how much this will improve the lap times but the fact that it can save on tire wear is where it can change race strategies.

This might be one of those things that everyone will say it seems so obvious (if it is deemed legal)

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Its already been banned for 2021.

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

"No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion," states Article 10.2.3 of F1's technical regulations.

I actually don't see how it's legal right now given this regulation. Mercedes is stating that the FIA considers the steering to not be a part of the car's suspension. Huh? To me this is caught by the "any suspension system" statement. Steering, dampers, pushrod/pullrods, uprights, heck it's all suspension unless steering is somehow exempted from that.

I remember when Renault was forced to take their tuned mass damper weight out of the nosecone area because it was considered a "movable aerodynamic device". Just because it stabilized the car's ride over kerbs. Not a single part of that mass damper touched the airstream, but it's a movable aerodynamic device? Buh.

If steering isn't part of suspension, then the world is flat. I'm just sayin'....

Cheers,
AJ

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

banned for 2021...i regret that lack of creativity nowadays. Everything it under scrutiny and if it kills the show, it's forbidden. To the other team to react and adapt too !!!

petrov27
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by petrov27 »

I got a bad feeling Mercedes may just destroy the competition this year worse than ever then leave (despite what they have said to the contrary)

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

To make a long story short. Mercedes are just much smarter and much more clever than all the other teams. They have the talent to always come up with new brilliant ideas - then afterwards the other teams try to ban it. Instead they should use their 100-200-300's of engineers to come up with similar brilliant ideas. So they had the upper hand when the season did start.
Br
Allan

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Maybe they got a pass for this year because they are changing toe in and not camber? Technically toe in is in the steering plane.