F1 News and Info

ZTony8
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Mercedes new steering approach

Post by ZTony8 »

Nit picking FIA! It's becoming a Euro version of NASCAR.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

turboF1 wrote:Maybe they got a pass for this year because they are changing toe in and not camber? Technically toe in is in the steering plane.
I agree. Camber would be forbidden, I investigated because I wanted to make my career engineering garduation project on that. I went as far as invstigating hydraulical and fully mechanical ways, and even wrote to McLaren TAG on it. (They did answer!).
Toe is admitted. After all relative toe does change when steering heavily.
Now I ask: maybe it also adds some braking effect so you save all what you wear when braking?

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

JamesB wrote:
turboF1 wrote:Maybe they got a pass for this year because they are changing toe in and not camber? Technically toe in is in the steering plane.
I agree. Camber would be forbidden, I investigated because I wanted to make my career engineering garduation project on that. I went as far as invstigating hydraulical and fully mechanical ways, and even wrote to McLaren TAG on it. (They did answer!).
Toe is admitted. After all relative toe does change when steering heavily.
Now I ask: maybe it also adds some braking effect so you save all what you wear when braking?
From what I was able to find from technical analysis forums the cars toe-in goes to zero on the straights so it’ll loose some stability for more uniform tire heat dissipation and a slightly higher top speed. Then as the car comes to a bend the toe-in is changed for better stability in the curves. Interesting idea and I like teams trying new things that find loop holes in the rules. Fun stuff that harkens back to a more innovative and more rebellious era.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

allnie wrote:To make a long story short. Mercedes are just much smarter and much more clever than all the other teams. They have the talent to always come up with new brilliant ideas - then afterwards the other teams try to ban it. Instead they should use their 100-200-300's of engineers to come up with similar brilliant ideas. So they had the upper hand when the season did start.
They also have the money :) On the F1 podcast this year the 3 or 4 Mercedes team members they interviewed made it very clear the investment that Mercedes put into the team was the main reason for their success. I'm also not sure what since 2014 that Mercedes has done that other teams have tried to ban either, nor that any teams have tried to ban this.