F1 News and Info

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Re: ESPN USA F1 Coverage

Post by billgtp »

f1m wrote:I despise ESPN.. I am not at all happy...

E
I agree

phatjedi
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by phatjedi »

I am going to give it a try, but if all I can get is qualifying and the race, I am out. MotoGP and World Superbike is better racing right now and I can get it on BEIN. Oh well.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

atlantakat1 wrote:
turboF1 wrote:No more David Hobbs and Steve Matchett?! :(
An unfortunate hallmark of ESPN coverage back in the early 90s was race coverage being delayed or shifted to other channels based on other events running long. And I remember one particularly awful year when the Australian GP was not shown in favor of a re-run of an Iron Man competition.....
Yeah, I remember those days, but at the time we (or at least me) were happy just to have a chance to watch the GPs. It all comes down to ratings, and apparently the typical US sports fan couldn't care less about "foreign" racing.

I still can't understand why ESPN decided they wanted to get F1 back, if they didn't even want to bother with having their own broadcast crew. But seeing how racing fans here constantly criticize the racing commentators on ABC, Fox, NBC, and yes even the Diffey/Hobbs/Matchett/Buxton crew at NBCSN, I suppose ESPN decided why open themselves up for the same criticism. Using the Sky feed they are likely saving themselves money and can say "don't blame us" when people complain about the commentary.

I try not to be cynical, but sometimes it just comes out... :lol:

Cameron

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

I'm not a fan of ESPN but there is a bright side to the broadcasters being outside of the US: We shouldn't have to hear "And for those new to F1 racing, here's the simpleton's explanation for what you just saw with your own eyes." That drives me nuts! I get it that back in the early broadcast days they couldn't expect casual viewers to run out and buy a racing mag to explain why F1 isn't boring but c'mon, this is the Information Age! If I have a question about something I have millions of options at my fingertips.

I retract the optimism if the Sky team turns out to be pedants because of their new US audience.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

I know it is not live, but BBC coverage is only about Lewis. If your a Lewis fan I suppose this is ok, If you want any other insights you get nil. I much prefer F! live timing and comment to BBC, if I cannot see it on the TV.

Joe.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

jaydar wrote:I know it is not live, but BBC coverage is only about Lewis. If your a Lewis fan I suppose this is ok, If you want any other insights you get nil. I much prefer F! live timing and comment to BBC, if I cannot see it on the TV.

Joe.
BBC's coverage in their last year a few years back was actually quite balanced, even if they took fifteen minutes to realize that Bianchi had crashed. The sky coverage is much more biased at this point. Channel 4 has been quite good the last few years, but its hard to get their coverage since most are tape delayed.
badun wrote:I'm not a fan of ESPN but there is a bright side to the broadcasters being outside of the US: We shouldn't have to hear "And for those new to F1 racing, here's the simpleton's explanation for what you just saw with your own eyes." That drives me nuts! I get it that back in the early broadcast days they couldn't expect casual viewers to run out and buy a racing mag to explain why F1 isn't boring but c'mon, this is the Information Age! If I have a question about something I have millions of options at my fingertips.

I retract the optimism if the Sky team turns out to be pedants because of their new US audience.
This was my main issue with the NBCSN guys. I understand having to explain new things to the new fans, but it got to a bit of a crazy level of beginner in life level at some point. Sky handles it much better without making it seem like the viewer is dumb.

As Sky is being used for the english feed in OTT, it will be interesting how it changes. I'm hoping its less biased to the english drivers, but understand if it stays the same as it was before. Saying that, NBCSN was actually more biased to Lewis than Sky was, surprisingly enough.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Looking ahead at ESPN2s schedule come Saturday night, college hockey is on before the race so that's good because the only thing those guys respect less than auto racing is hockey ( if Vegas don't care, why should they?). However, there is a 30 for 30 on at midnight and I wonder if they'll delay that should the race go long.
Glad to see there are others here who hate ESPN as much as I do. Thought I was the only one :D .

biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Post by biercemountain »

phatjedi wrote:I am going to give it a try, but if all I can get is qualifying and the race, I am out. MotoGP and World Superbike is better racing right now and I can get it on BEIN. Oh well.
I watched the Moto3 race on BEIN and have to say that the new pit lane reporter was almost unlistenable. Who the heck is that guy?

Paul

Froride1
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Froride1 »

LOL, Simon Crafar, he's an exracer. He was a much better rider than announcer, I almost fell asleep during his long pauses while interviewing the podium finishers.

Yes, he needs to go. Pit lane reporting is a young mans game.

Topic author
PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

I loaded the “Watch ESPN” app on my Roko last night. Hopefully I’ll be able to watch more of practice.

Paul Erlendson