2018 F1 preseason

F1 News and Info

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 2018 F1 preseason

Post by JamesB »

PJE wrote:So who all has looked at the new Mac this morning and thought hmm, if someone on Shapeways would do the halo and Indycals the decals, I could convert the new Tamiya 2017 Ferrari into a 2018 McLaren. :lol:

Paul Erlendson
Well, it already was similar last year! :D
BTW, or you can eat chicken this WE, keep the wishbone and save the Shapeways fee! :lol: :lol:

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:
Dino wrote:Macca reveal. Back in Papaya.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... t-1008018/
ugliest car on the grid this year. and they are reducing production time and weight of paint by not having any sponsors lol.
I don't agree. I think papaya orange looks great. Car has clean lines, imho. It just looks quite a bit less sophisticated
compare to others. I suspect they will add more aero components to it, before first race.

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

I like the McLaren with that livery. Looks very nice with the sponsor logos on the track. To Sergey's point about the aero's, hopefully they don't tart it up too much. So, the matte black halos are the least offensive to the eye.

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Post by Seiiki »

Mclaren and now Ferrari have no title sponsor on their cars. Not sure if future finance problems might be looming large for Formula 1.
Canice

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Canice, don't get fooled about Ferrari: they still have the Philip Morrus deal if I am not wrong.... tons of bucks there.

Jeep
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Jean-Pierre Bastien
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
Canada

Post by Jeep »

The "Renault" logo on the McLaren is... discreet.
Jeep

The Walter Wolf WR-1 Home Page
http://WolfWR1.free.fr

The Ferrari 312T4 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/10f3Vtj

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H

Gilles Villeneuve's McLaren M23 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1VZFAkJ

Gilles Villeneuve's Ferrari 312T3 Modeller's Guide
https://bit.ly/2l5z6Ia

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

I don't dislike these cars in general, In fact love the curves and the fat tyres, but there's details that for me are really annoying. The Halo for sure, the incredibly big front wings too, and the every increasing rake at the rear suspension.
The cars are high at the rear like a street sedan. Now even Nascar looks better in ground clearance than F1.

To get rid of big front wings and stupid high rake is just a question of go back to sidepod tunnels and big diffusers. Other formula cars do that, even the new Formula E for 2019. I can't understand why F1 is so stubborn in this issue.

Modelling speaking, I don't like the Halo, but if you want a Halo for scratchbuild projects, I can provide one!

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

The new Mac doesn't even look as good as Alonso's Indy car from last year. There is way too much blue, and what there is could be more stylishly integrated. I'm hoping there will be some tweaks to the livery before the season starts. Just my opinion.

Topic author
Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

Macca fans scream for the old orange, they get it and still complain.

It's a lose/lose decision.

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Post by Seiiki »

JamesB wrote:Canice, don't get fooled about Ferrari: they still have the Philip Morrus deal if I am not wrong.... tons of bucks there.
Jaime, what you don't know about the Philip Morris deal is this. It is a unique sponsorship that work like this:

Philip Morris of the famous Marlin-Boron brand as well as Kraft foods and so on, has arranged a $100 USD Million sponsorship per year with Ferrari as the title sponsor since 1996. Whereby Philip Morris will 'then' using the 'entire car' to arrange other sponsorship to renting out wherever the spaces necessary for other companies to recoup the difference.

So it is not 'exactly' a losing equations depends on the number of suitors willing to with Phillip Morris' marketing team on behalf of Ferrari. But for Ferrari, that just means a constant amount available for their budget. Then again, with a large team, I am not sure that they don't use shareholders' money from FIAT to partially funding the team.

This is something that shareholders are really sensitive about this. Remember, when Mercedes purchased Brawn. Haug and Dr. Zetsche were on the chopping block before the company agreed to sell two thirds of the Formula 1 team's assets to two individual investors by the name of Toto Wolff (former Race Car Driver and a shareholder of the Williams F1 team), and former 3 times World Champion (also a former Ferrari Advisor) by the name of Niki Lauda.

The rest, as they say, is history.
Canice