Jeep
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Jean-Pierre Bastien
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
Canada

Re: 2018 F1 preseason

Post by Jeep »

Sometimes I wonder if designers add all those fiddly bits just to annoy/frustrate modelers...

Jeep

The Walter Wolf WR-1 Home Page
http://WolfWR1.free.fr

The Ferrari 312T4 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/10f3Vtj

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H

Gilles Villeneuve's McLaren M23 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1VZFAkJ

Gilles Villeneuve's Ferrari 312T3 Modeller's Guide
https://bit.ly/2l5z6Ia

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Probably, Jeep, but anyway it's technically ridiculous.
I mean, no connection to street cars (and OK it's not something necessary, but at least let's keep it a bit real), and tons of money wasted. There are millions inside each one of those carefully sculpted cuts between flaps.
ANd we thought the 2008 cars were ridiculously complicated....
The thing is that, aerodinamically that's teh equivalent to a 1500bhp engine: an excess.
Come on, NINE flaps???? :shock:

On the other hand I see something that we go progressively accepting and gets more and more out of hand.

On a tech analysis of the Ferrari, they say they have gone from already mamothian 3550mm, to 3670!!!! :shock: :shock:
Good lord, if last year's car exceeded the FW08 (a really short car) in one full meter, this year's car does the same with the more normal FW07!!!!!
110cm Longer than Rosberg's champion car!!!!! :shock:
The truth is that this exceptional length, among other problems, raises the chances of a frontal/lateral (you know, a T-bone) shunt.
And yes, uglier cars.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

They're getting close to what Mercedes used last year. The longer car simply works better, so thats what they're doing.

DPalmer43
F2
F2
Your Name: Doug
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell (70s)
United States of America

Post by DPalmer43 »

Ugh

Not impressed by any of the new cars. Although I'm not repulsed by the McLaren colors. But I'm not as worried about what the cars look like, I'm more concerned about the product on the track.

Watching ugly cars run around beautiful circuits in parade like fashion for 2 hours is NOT exciting. Watching a racing series when only 3 or 4 cars have a legitimate chance to win is NOT exciting. I applaud FIA in finally working towards cars that the drivers have to actually,...you know....DRIVE, but they've a ways to go.

F1 is the least competitive racing series. I used to tell myself that watching a parade was cool so long as the cars were good looking. Now, the cars are cookie cutter designs with more wings than a Hooters restaurant.

These are beautiful F1 cars:

Platypus noses and halos and winglets and fins......sorry, I'll pass. That parade ain't worth watching.

And yes I know that I sound like an old curmudgeon who sits on his porch and yells at the kids to stay off the lawn. Well it's my lawn and I'll yell if I want. :)

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Ugly cars are not fun to watch. If the racing becomes too tidy and and there is no passing, no wheel spin or sliding I too will stop watching....no I’ll still keep watching. It’s F1 and I can’t stop. :)
I’ll stop when it’s all electric and the drivers are replaced with computers. Then I’ll stop...

Moskie
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Moskie »

DPalmer43 wrote:Ugh

Which proves how opinions can differ.. I really don’t like the big, open noses on these cars. Would even dare to say I like the current noses better.

Would be fun to take parts from our favourite F1 cars, put that together and be horrified how the result would look..

P.s the 85 cars with their smooth lines are better looking in my opinion..

biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Post by biercemountain »

DPalmer43 wrote: Image
I can't help but notice that four of these cars are available as 1/12 scale kits.

Paul

petrov27
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by petrov27 »

>>I can't help but notice that four of these cars are available as 1/12 scale kits.

Five isn't it?
Tyrrell - MFH
Ferrari - Protar
Lotus - Tamiya
McLaren - Tamya w/MFH convo
Wolf - Tamiya again

---edit - whoops that McLaren isnt the M23 - so 4 is correct - my bad :)

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

petrov27 wrote:>>I can't help but notice that four of these cars are available as 1/12 scale kits.

Five isn't it?
Tyrrell - MFH
Ferrari - Protar
Lotus - Tamiya
McLaren - Tamya w/MFH convo
Wolf - Tamiya again

---edit - whoops that McLaren isnt the M23 - so 4 is correct - my bad :)
Sure it is!!! :D
Paul probably passed the MFH... or the Protar! :wink:
BTW I have the three Tamiyas. Always wonder how far is the Tamiya Brab-DFV from this Alfa powered, engine apart...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

The racing should be better this year than last. Last year was hurt by the tires, and Pirelli not being given a representative test car and not wanting a repeat of 2013. This was when the teams were abusing the tires by running them the wrong way and Pirelli was the one who was thrown around in the press as being terrible. Pirelli has made the tires less durable this year with their extra knowledge so races where people can run forever should be reduced.

I'm also not sure there is any time when F1 drivers haven't had to drive a car, otherwise the speed differences would be minimal.