This includes a new floor with altered underside shape edges to add more suction ...Keep reading
As part of F1's continued evaluation of new broadcast technology and techniques, first practice at Silverstone on Friday will see pedal cam return, fitted ...Keep reading
McLaren’s Lando Norris was left with a numb face after team-mate Daniel Ricciardo wiped him out with a space hopper ahead of the British Grand Prix.
As is tradition, Sky Sports hosted an F1 live show in Silverstone in front of packed grandstands on the Thursday of the British Grand Prix race weekend.
Ricciardo and Norris were being interviewed about their chances of success this weekend, before being sent to the bottom of the home straight so take each other on in a space hopper race.
Norris started off by almost falling off his hopper before the race had even got going and, once they did, the 22-year-old made an attempt at hitting the Australian.
This rather worked against him and he lost ground, leaving Ricciardo to streak ahead as they got to the finish line, which was made up of Any Driven Monday presenter Matt Baker holding an umbrella.
Realising he was moments from losing, Norris hopped off his space hopper and made a break for the line, but little did he know what would happen next.
Ricciardo picked up his hopper and went to throw it back at his team-mate, but he had already made it to within inches of the six-time race winner, so a wall of orange was the last thing he saw before feeling the full impact of the space hopper.
Norris said “I can’t see!” when asked if he was okay, and Ricciardo joked that he probably ought not to have swung the hopper back towards the Briton.
“You know when you do something, and you realise you probably shouldn’t have done it? It was too late!” he said.
the lando norris and daniel ricciardo team rivalry has gone too far pic.twitter.com/U10Ydam9Lr— mari (@f1brekkdown) June 30, 2022
The 32-year-old later took to Twitter to confirm that Norris was “ok,” prompting Sir Lewis Hamilton to reply: “Is he actually?” before Norris posted a picture of a baby doll with its face squashed in.
He’s ok— Daniel Ricciardo (@danielricciardo) June 30, 2022
Is he actually?— Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) June 30, 2022
“He’s okay” pic.twitter.com/Y3JTaCrY2S— Lando Norris (@LandoNorris) June 30, 2022
As for McLaren’s prospects this weekend, the fans in the grandstand made a lot of noise when Natalie Pinkham asked if the Papaya squad could score points this weekend, but hilariously fell silence when a podium was suggested.
The post Ricciardo sends Norris to stratosphere via stinging space hopper appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
The Finn says that the Alfa provides him with a good starting point which he is then able to improve upon.
"I feel like in the past quite often the set-up that ...Keep reading
Williams’ massive car update plus other teams’ new parts for Silverstone detailed | 2022 British Grand Prix
But local police say they have gained credible intelligence that demonstrators are planning to disrupt this weekend’s British GP, and have warned of a potential track invasion.
In a statement issued by the Northamptonshire police, Event Commander Chief Inspector Tom ...Keep reading
Former Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has defended Russian President Vladimir Putin after he ordered the invasion of Ukraine in February.
Putin sees Ukraine as a concept created by Russia, so has vowed to take control of the country and, perhaps, bring about a return of the Soviet Union.
He ordered troops to invade their neighbouring nation, and the subsequent war has seen millions displaced and thousands killed.
Putin’s actions drew widespread condemnation – even from terrorist group the Taliban – and Russia itself as well as multiple Russian oligarchs and have been sanctioned amid the violence.
Ecclestone worked closely with Putin to introduce Russia to the F1 calendar in 2014, and he has shown support for the Russian president.
“I’d still take a bullet for him,” he told Good Morning Britain.
“I’d rather it didn’t hurt but even if it does, I’d still take a bullet because he’s a first-class person and what he’s doing is something he believed was the right thing he was doing for Russia.
“Unfortunately, he’s like a lot of businesspeople – certainly like me – that we make mistakes from time to time.
Gasly set for poor British GP as his ‘enemy’ will be present https://t.co/2hWL6H8i1l— Formula1News.co.uk (@Formula1newsUK) July 1, 2022
“And when you’ve made a mistake, you have to do the best you can to get out of it, and I think if it had been conducted properly…”
The 91-year-old then appeared to blame Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelenskyy for the war breaking out following the invasion.
“I mean the other person in Ukraine, I mean he’s professional, I understand he used to be a comedian,” added Ecclestone.
“And I think he seems as though he wants to continue that profession, because I think if he’d have thought about things, he’d have made a big enough effort to speak to Mr Putin, who is a sensible person, who would have listened to him and probably done something about it.”
Following the Briton’s remarks, F1 released a statement condemning Ecclestone’s point of view.
“The comments made by Bernie Ecclestone are his personal views and are in very stark contrast to the position of the modern values of our sport,” said a spokesperson.
The post Ecclestone says he and Putin are alike as he makes bizarre claim appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
Nelson Piquet’s permanent paddock pass has been revoked after he used an offensive term while speaking about Sir Lewis Hamilton, according to reports.
In November, the Brazilian was analysing Hamilton’s collision with Max Verstappen at last year’s British Grand Prix in Silverstone, and he said a racial slur when describing the seven-time world champion.
These comments have resurfaced ahead of this year’s race in Towcester, and nasty comments about Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell from the 69-year-old have also popped back up.
Multiple teams and drivers came to the defence of Hamilton, as well as other figures from the sporting and celebrity worlds, with the language and the attitude of Piquet being widely condemned.
Piquet called every driver in his interview by their actual name, before calling Hamilton the offensive term, but he still tried to defend himself in a bizarre apology statement.
“What I said was ill-thought-out and I make no defence for it, but I will clarify that the term used is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for ‘guy’ or ‘person’ and was never intended to offend,” he said.
“I would never use the word I have been accused of in some translations. I strongly condemn any suggestion that the word was used to belittle a driver because of his skin colour.
Rosberg reveals if he would rather drive for Ferrari or Red Bull in 2022 https://t.co/pfO2GBa3Ij— Formula1News.co.uk (@Formula1newsUK) June 29, 2022
“I apologise wholeheartedly to anyone that was affected, including Lewis, who is an incredible driver, but the translation in some media is not correct.
“Discrimination has no place in F1 or society and I am happy to clarify my thoughts in that respect.”
The Daily Mail now reports that Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has personally signed off on Piquet’s ban from entering the paddock.
As the paddock continues to fight discrimination, Hamilton’s fight with the FIA could come to a head this weekend as his nose stud exemption is set to expire.
FIA president Mohammed ben Sulayem has been strict on the wearing of jewellery in the cockpit since his arrival for safety reasons, but Hamilton, as well as several others, have been pushing back against it.
The 37-year-old was given until this weekend to make his permanent piercings removable and, should he fail to do so, he may – in extreme circumstances – be forced to sit out the British Grand Prix.
The post Piquet banned despite ‘wholehearted’ apology after racially abusing Hamilton appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
Mercedes W13 front wing endplate detail
Photo by: Giorgio Piola
It's clear that Mercedes has repositioned the front wing endplate's diveplane for the British Grand Prix, with the higher position it previously occupied visually marked out on the endplate.
Ferrari F1-75 mirror detail
Photo by: Giorgio Piola
Ferrari has made changes to its mirror housing for ...Keep reading
The family of Michael Schumacher has released a statement confirming that reports of a Porsche Carrera GT being linked to him are false.
Reports began circulating some days ago that the Porsche car was somehow linked with Schumacher after it was allegedly purchased by Schumacher’s former manager, Willi Weber.
It is now up for sale in Germany, with various media outlets reporting that, despite contractual obligations, the seven-time champion had been ‘secretly’ driving it for four years during his time at Ferrari.
The car in question was released in 2004, which would have meant that he continued driving it until 2008 – after the end of his Ferrari career.
The German is currently recovering at home following a skiing accident at the end of 2013 that left him in a coma, so his family take care of him and speak publicly on his behalf.
They confirmed that reports linking Schumacher to the Porsche have no validity.
“Reports have recently appeared in various media suggesting that Michael Schumacher was the owner of a Porsche Carrera GT currently for sale,” read a statement.
“This appearance does not correspond with the facts. Michael Schumacher was neither directly nor indirectly the owner of this Porsche Carrera GT at any time.”
Mercedes reveal if they’re expecting to have race-winning pace at Silverstone https://t.co/nZwXD1w2eX— Formula1News.co.uk (@Formula1newsUK) June 30, 2022
Schumacher’s career began in 1991 with Jordan when Bertrand Gachot was jailed for assaulting a taxi driver.
He made his debut at the Belgian Grand Prix with Eddie Jordan’s side, before scoring points on three occasions with Benetton later on in the year.
He would claim the first of his seven world titles with Benetton in 1994 in controversial fashion when he made contact with Damon Hill, and added a second to that tally with Ross Brawn’s team a year later.
Searching for new challenges, Schumacher moved on to Ferrari in 1996, and he claimed 72 of his 91 wins with the Scuderia, sealing five consecutive world titles between 2000 and 2004.
The 53-year-old retired in 2006 before returning in 2010 with Mercedes, and he achieved his final podium at the 2012 European Grand Prix in Valencia. He called time on his second spell at the end of that year.
His son, Mick, now races for Haas in the pinnacle of motorsport, and he heads to the British Grand Prix this weekend in search of his first-ever points finish.
The post Schumacher family respond to claim Michael ‘secretly’ drove Porsche while racing with Ferrari appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
It’s been reported by Bild that Mick Schumacher has four races to score his first point in Formula 1, as the pressure on the young German to perform continues to increase.
After an impressive debut season where he over-achieved in the worst car on the grid, Schumacher has failed to take the next step in his second season, despite having a car capable of a points finish.
The pressure on the Haas F1 Team driver’s shoulders only increased following his massively expensive crashes at both Saudi Arabia and Monaco.
It’s believed that the repair bill for the two crashes was a staggering $2 million.
The German twice crashed so hard that his car split in two, resulting in his relationship with team principal Guenther Steiner becoming increasingly frosty.
The mounting pressure is due to the 24-year-old not having a contract for next season, with the next four races being crucial to his fight to remain at Haas.
Schumacher was looking strong for a points finish at the recent race in Canada, before a reliability problem saw him retire from 7th place.
Former F1 driver Christian Danner, believes this weekend’s British Grand Prix will be a “big challenge” for the young driver but that a points finish at Silverstone would elevate his confidence.
“Silverstone is an incredibly fast and difficult track, a really big challenge,” said the 64-year-old.
“If Mick can do that, it’s another piece of the puzzle for, ‘I can do it.’
“It’s a bigger challenge than Canada,” Danner insisted.
The importance of the next four races before the summer break, comes following a report by Bild that he will be in a better position to remain with the team if he scores points before the break.
“Points are finally needed before the summer break. Mick has four races left,” reports Bild.
“With points on his account, Mick will be in a much better position in the summer when the negotiations start.”
Guenther Steiner has informed the media that no decision on Schumacher’s career will be made before the summer break.
“We will not have the talks before,” Steiner said.
Incredibly, Schumacher is already sixth on the list of most races without a point, something which the son of Michael Schumacher will be desperate to put an end to.
Danner, however, thinks that the following Austrian Grand Prix may suit Schumacher and the VF22 better.
The Red Bull Ring has many similar characteristics to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, meaning that not all is lost should the German fail yet again this weekend to score points.
“Austria is a stop-and-go track where you have to go straight ahead and then suddenly brake,” Danner explained.
“It has a bit of a Canadian character.”
But with its high-speeds, he reckons: “Haas as having a bit of an advantage over the competition.”
The post Mick Schumacher warned Haas will fire him in the summer break unless he does this appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
The Dutchman revealed he refused to conduct any interviews because the show "faked a few rivalries" and said back in March that he had no plans to change his mind about participating.
Drive to ...Keep reading
With his days in Formula 1 numbered, Sebastian Vettel has begun to explore life outside of the championship and has found a passion for politics.
The German driver has taken it upon himself to become an activist, focusing on political, social and environmental matters.
The four-time World Champion is regularly seen wearing a t-shirt or special helmet in support of a various campaign, something Sir Lewis Hamilton also does on a regular basis.
Incredibly, prior to the Spanish Grand Prix, Vettel appeared as a special guest on BBC political show ‘Question Time’.
The Aston Martin driver was praised for the way he conducted himself and represented the sport, with the German driver being completely honest that F1 needs to do more to support the environment.
Vettel has most notably been a huge supporter and ally to the LGBTQ+ community, and even became the first-ever F1 driver to feature on the front cover of the best selling gay magazine ‘Attitude’.
He featured on the front cover of the June edition of the magazine, in support of Pride month.
All his heroic work, however, has come with some negativism towards him.
Bernie Ecclestone whilst talking to German broadcaster RTL, questioned whether Vettel cared about F1 anymore.
The former F1 CEO does believe the German is correct with regards to the sport needing to change, but also thinks the four-time World Champion is using his position as a driver wrongly.
“He’s not that focused,” Ecclestone, 91, said in an interview.
“Before, when he was winning races, he didn’t know what was going on in the world and didn’t care. Now he cares and he thinks about the future of the world.
“I think he’s right, but I don’t think he should use his position for that reason.”
Vettel hasn’t let his off-track actions affect his on-track performances, with the German having had some good results this season in a challenging AMR22.
Ecclestone continued to explain that he’d love to see Vettel back at Red Bull, where he won four consecutive titles.
“It’s about all the other things behind him that don’t make it easy to get back to who he was,” he said, referring to Vettel’s era of consistent victories and podiums.
“I would like to see him in the other car with Max Verstappen. It would be good for him too,” he said.
The 91-year-old is confident though that Vettel will still be at Aston Martin for the foreseeable future.
“Well, I think they are happy to have him on the team,” he said.
“Everyone is happy with him. It’s more about whether he has decided to be a politician or a Formula 1 driver.”
The post Red Bull told to sign Vettel as Verstappen’s team-mate appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
The W13 enjoyed one of its most competitive outings of the season at the last traditional venue in Barcelona, prior to the run of street or temporary ...Keep reading