The badge also does not feature on the overalls of Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris nor on the team wear of key personnel.
While it seems slightly unusual for teams not to run the logo of their engine supplier, McLaren has ...Keep reading
It made Norris the fourth F1 driver to contract COVID-19, following positive test results for Sergio Perez, Lance Stroll, and Lewis Hamilton through the 2020 season ...Keep reading
The former Red Bull driver is now set for his first laps in a McLaren F1 car at Silverstone on Tuesday after the team confirmed plans to hold a shakedown at the British Grand Prix circuit in the coming days.
Ricciardo and teammate Lando ...Keep reading
And while the car features some carry over aspects of last year's challenger, it has undergone some extensive revisions both to fit its new Mercedes engine and also to comply with new aero rules.
Although the key focus for the team over the winter was on installing the ...Keep reading
McLaren has unveiled its 2021 car and its new driver line-up to a live audience ahead of the upcoming season.
McLaren’s 2021 challenger, the MCL35M, was unveiled during an online presentation on Monday evening, making the British racing outfit the first team to unveil their car ahead of the new season.
The MCL35M is an evolution of their 2020 car, the MCL35, and unlike its predecessor, it will have a Mercedes power unit in the back.
“The Mercedes-AMG M12 E Performance was integrated into the design of the MCL35M by McLaren with the support of Mercedes High Performance Powertrains and represents one of several key changes to the car as part of its evolution into the MCL35M,” McLaren said in a statement.
The MCL35M has a similar livery to McLaren’s 2020 car, with the team keeping its iconic papaya orange and blue colours.
Daniel Ricciardo will partner Lando Norris at McLaren this year after joining the Woking-based team from Renault.
The first shakedown of the car will be performed by Norris and Ricciardo at Silverstone on Tuesday as part the team’s pre-season filming days.
Commenting on their new driver line-up, McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown said:
“We’re thrilled to launch our 2021 team with Lando and Daniel, as we prepare to get the Formula 1 season started.
“We’ve got an incredibly exciting driver line-up this year, both are formidable racers on-track and great characters off-track.
“Lando is a naturally fast and intelligent racer on an exciting trajectory, while Daniel is a multiple grand prix winner with a sharp racer’s edge and exceptional talent.
Meanwhile, team principal Andreas Seidl said they hope the MCL35M will prove to be a “strong car” and will give their drivers a chance to fight at the sharp end of the F1 grid.
“All of us at McLaren are ready and determined for another season of intensely competitive Formula 1 racing,” the German said.
“The entire team has worked hard over the short winter, together with our colleagues from Mercedes-AMG, to produce the MCL35M and provide a strong car for our drivers to race this year.
“This has been no small challenge, and I want to thank every member of our team, whether at the MTC or working remotely, for the massive effort they’ve put in. Lando and Daniel will, I know, do their very best to represent the team out on track.
“We’re all extremely pleased by how Lando has developed from test and development driver in 2017, to Britain’s youngest podium finisher in 2020.
“His passion and experience for the sport are growing hand-in-hand, and he’s now one of the fastest and most exciting racing drivers on the grid.
“Daniel represents our next step as a team and his decision to join McLaren is a validation of the progress we’re making.
“As a proven race-winner and formidable competitor, Daniel brings energy and experience to push McLaren forward on our mission to the front of the field,” Seidl concluded.
McLaren finished third in the 2020 F1 Constructors’ Championship, and they could potentially be on course for an even stronger season this year with them returning to Mercedes power.
The new MCL35M car retains largely the same livery as last year as McLaren sticks with its usual papaya orange and blue design, albeit with some subtle changes such as shifting the ...Keep reading
The Woking-based outfit will reveal its new MCL35M during an event at its Woking factory at 7pm on Monday evening.
Although teams are only allowed limited changes to their 2021 cars, McLaren has faced a challenging winter as it is the only outfit that is changing engines.
It has ended its partnership with Renault and has become a Mercedes customer.
McLaren will also have a new ...Keep reading
“I see him switching to another team where he can earn more,” Albers said on the De Telegraaf newspaper’s F1 podcast.
“During the season he will certainly start looking around him. He is an outspoken driver and also for that reason he will want to stay in Formula 1, because of course there he can always share his opinion.
“You can see that from everything, he is often in America to hang out with the stars. He wants to keep that lifestyle, so because of that he will definitely continue in Formula 1.
“If he were to leave the sport, I think he would end up in a black hole pretty quickly.”
Hamilton’s latest contract with Mercedes is just for a single year, so he is in a position to jump ship should he decide to do so.
As for speculation that Hamilton might retire if he breaks Michael Schumacher’s record of eight Championships this year, Albers believes there is no reason for the Brit to walk away from F1 anytime soon.
“Lewis is not going to stop for now, he is still in his element,” Albers said.
“He talks sometimes that he might retire, but he’s really enjoying the sport. He really likes the show, he wants to level up.
“So I really don’t see him stopping, even next year. He feels at home in this world, where he also deals with the greatest artists in the world,” the Dutchman added.
The post Lewis Hamilton Would End Up In A ‘Black Hole Pretty Quickly’ If He Left F1 appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
Rich Energy founder William Storey has claimed that the energy drink brand will be returning to Formula One as a sponsor this year with a “strategic ally” which has purchased a majority stake in a team.
Storey didn’t specify which team they will be returning with, but he claimed they would become the racing outfit’s title sponsor in 2022.
“I’m delighted to announce that Rich Energy is coming back to Formula 1,” Storey said in a video message posted on Twitter on Sunday.
“Unfortunately, due to poor performance on and off the track [in 2019], regrettably I had to sack Haas.
“In the last year, we’ve worked incredibly hard to lead a renaissance of Rich Energy worldwide where millions of consumers are trying our drink.
“Since leaving Formula 1 I have worked very diligently to engineer a return and I have noticed that there is actually a new financial reality in Formula 1.
“With terrestrial TV no longer really being prevalent and a paywall of viewers, instead of 10 or 12 million people watching Formula 1 on BBC or ITV, it is actually a few hundred thousand on Sky.
“Subsequent damage which that has done to sponsorship has meant that there are a number of different teams [in financial trouble]. For example, McLaren have done the sale and lease back of their Woking technology centre, and Williams were in financial problems until they were bailed out by our friends at Dorilton Capital.
“And obviously even Haas have now had to go for pay drivers because of their weak financial position.
“So I’ve been looking for a way in which Rich Energy could return optimally both for us and to help the team that we are going to work with.
“A strategic ally of Rich Energy has agreed to purchase a majority stake in an existing team. We did explore with the new regulations actually entering our own team for 2022, which would be Rich Energy Formula 1 Team.
“But a friend of ours has agreed a deal for a majority stake in a Formula 1 team, and we will become a partner of that team for 2021. Once that acquisition is announced, we will become the title sponsor for 2022.
“I’m really looking forward to competing with our competitors on-track, I’ll be at the first race, March 28, in Bahrain,” he concluded.
Rich Energy was the title sponsor of the Haas F1 Team for the American racing outfit’s 2019 campaign, but this agreement was terminated mid-season due to “poor performance”, according to Storey.
Last month, the energy drink brand claimed it would be returning to Formula One this year, without providing further details.
It remains to be seen if Storey’s latest announcement is yet another publicity stunt or genuine news of their return to the pinnacle of motorsport.
The post Rich Energy Claims ‘Strategic Ally’ Has Purchased An F1 Team appeared first on Formula1News.co.uk.
Initial examinations showed that Alonso had sustained a fracture to his upper jaw that required surgery, but doctors were pleased with how the procedure went, saying they completed a successful corrective operation.
After ...Keep reading