Ebbro Lotus 88 Essex WIP!

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Ebbro Lotus 88 Essex WIP!

Post by mobiusone »

Update coming soon guys i promise! :oops: The rear suspension is proving A LOT trickier than I had anticipated, and some lovely resin hose joints are trying to ruin my day :P

On a side note, I did try the BMF Chrome and clear coat method, and honestly it looks pretty good! Its a bit scary because the clear clouds up right when it hits the chrome, but it clears up right away almost. I think the main advantage will be in painting the backside the blue. That way you can paint the side panel blue not having to worry about the chrome, the bmf it, the clear it!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

injidup
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Kev
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by injidup »

Have you used the foil in the kit or real BMF?

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

injidup, per your question i think i'll start off with BMF as it is what is familiar and I do love my modeling safety nets :P If that doesnt work I think i'll move on and try the foil decals in the kit.

But, onto update time as promised! Featuring, the rear suspension. Boy howdy I wasn't expecting the complexity. If I had to describe it, i'd say its a bit... fidly. Mainly because of the way everything lines up. For example, the main upper control arms that run across the transmission, mount to the front beam via unusual i guess you'd call them half connectors? And then the rear of the control arms just sit on the transmission case without positive locators. Honestly, it took so long because I was always wondering, does that really go there? So just take your time putting it together and it should be ok. But it does look good when built up though!

The kit does supply 2 hose connectors both for the top of the dome piece on the transmission. However, IRL based off of pictures on gurneyflap, there is what i'm guessing a oil return line to the back of the transmission case, so i added in a top studio connector to supplement. Where the 2nd line on top goes i'm not quite sure, as there really aren't pictures of that side of the car. Anyway, that was holding me back a bit as well, because man I hate braided line and CA. Not my idea of funny. Also, on another note, the brakes are very nicely detailed for plastic pieces :)

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Seeing your build makes me wan't one even though it is to modern for me :)
Looking att Lotus 78 and 79 make me believe that the hoses on the dome on those cars runs to the oil pump and an oil radiator. The third on the "tube" at the top runs down to an oil tank. So I'm not sure if the gear box should be attached to it on the 88.
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong so I'll get it right on my 79.

The MFH instructions might be of help: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10134699z7/70/7/1

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Some fine work you're doing so far, looking forward to seeing the bodywork painted and chromed.
Steve Noble

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Yes, nice work!

And an interesting tranny shape. I don't think I've ever seen a Hewland shaped quite like that -- with such a domed rear housing and prominent bolts on top -- before. The things you learn from models!

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

For real Chris! This really isn't your standard DFV transmission that is for sure :lol:

Also, more pictures for hose locating haha. I believe the line I have running from the dome up top to the rear is half correct. In this picture you can see a braided line running to a tank up at the top right of the picture right next to the exhaust. I believe the line runs to this first, then to the back of the transmission per the braided line you see in the second picture

Also, the 2 lines on the other side of the dome runs as follows: one runs to what looks like a cooler mounted on the side of the sidepanel, and the other is a lot thicker and runs along the DFV head and goes i'm guessing to a larger cooler?? I can't find a picture of where that goes

- Ayrton Senna

albrecae
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Adrian
Great Britain

Post by albrecae »

Eagle50 wrote:Yes, nice work!

And an interesting tranny shape. I don't think I've ever seen a Hewland shaped quite like that -- with such a domed rear housing and prominent bolts on top -- before. The things you learn from models!

Cheers, Chris
Its actually a Lotus casing with Hewland internals, many teams at time cast there own gearbox casing to make them narrower to get better venturi effect to increase the downforce from ground effect this was also the reason they moved the brakes outboard.

Regarding the plumbing, the hose from the back of the gearbox should go to the cooler between the rear suspension, the oil tank on the bell housing is for the engine.

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

AH thank you albrecae! Looks like i'll have to redo my wiring a bit :oops: But i'd probably expect the guy with a 88 as his profile pic to know i thing or two :P

- Ayrton Senna

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »