Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Re: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 Scratchbuilt

Post by Husker »

Flemming wrote:
capri-schorsch wrote:Cant give up to look at this beauty.
Is there a special reason you choose this car?
Christian
My guess is that It is Sennas last win and last race in a McLaren - Adelaide 1993.

Also the last race he finished - a fitting tribute if there ever was one. :D

Flemming
Couldn't have said it better myself. Yes! This one represents the 1993 Australian GP. Last win, him and Prost finally forgiving each other on the podium... is good enough reason for me. Plus, it was probably the most uncompetitive Mc|Laren Senna ever drove and he still won 5 epic races in 93 with it....against the all powerful Williams! (2nd Brazil win, friggin Donington!, Monaco, Japan (irvine incident), and finally Adelaide!). To me, 1993 was his best season in terms of pure driving and talent.
Last edited by Husker on Wed May 07, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Mexico

Post by Husker »

I'm digging for the wip pics. In the meant time, you guys are right, a 1/20 comparisson is ideal to post here:

Looks like a father and son pic. LOL

I use the cap as comparison in the "real world" outside the modeling community simply because most people know what size a cap is, haha.
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by builder77 »

Holy Crap.
My wife would kill me trying to display that in the house!
Chris
My personal site

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Mexico

Post by Husker »

first off, THANK you everyone! I was kinda nervous posting it here since we all know so much about this car. The normal folk think it's impressive, beautiful etc and I'm really grateful for that, but in here... that's the test of fire with us rivet counters! lol.
turboF1 wrote:Wow! Please post your buid pictures. I would like to know how you made the steering wheel for example. How did you make the tires? Etc. :shock:
You'll see it better in the wip pics, but the circle part is 3D printed. The center "T", gear levers and back part is a thin aluminium sheet, hand cut and sanded.

All the buttons were made using solder and a dremel as lathe as I explained in my RE30B WIP... but easier simply cause these are much bigger than in 1/20 haha. Same with he tyre valves.
Scoobyfan wrote:Stunning!!

You're giving me new ideas as to what I can be doing with my lathe.....and that's not necessarily a good thing.
LOL. Id looove to have a lathe!
Villeneuve wrote:Wow!!!! Stunning work! Cant wait for the WIP. Especially how made the bodywork. What material did you use for that?
Thanks! I'll post a more in-depth explanation in the WIP but it's a material I've never heard of before that the guy who laser cut the pieces recommended. It's PVC foam sheets of 1 and 3mm thickness. You can handle it like plastic, but it feels sort of like paper.... paper plastic? you can bend it and it keeps its form (Front wing vortex generators), heat it...a bit. cut it sand it, use putty primer, paint... anything. It's a dream material. The entire body was hand made from many pieces as you can see in the pic above with he Tamiya model.

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Mexico

Post by Husker »

JamesB wrote:I'm unimpressed: I seriously doubt that you included the piston rings :x :x :x

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, honestly it's smashing!! :D :D and it well looks you simply didn't bet on the "wow, it's huge" factor and went down to the details required for a "closer-to-real-rather-than-model" size.

I did this one full scracth at 1/20 (yes, I was that lucky chosing) and know it is a hell of a job, 4 times bigger that apparently flat and 1 degree curved shapes betray their trickiness.
And the finish oh my god!!!

Now that is scratch building, and modeling, and finishing, and detailing, and....
Muchas gracias Jaime!
Yep, it "looks" all flat and easy curves but once you get into it....damn it's NOT! haha

LOL @ Jeep, I know what you mean! and yep it's insane!
vanhookvintage wrote:Just amazing! And one of my favorite F1 cars - especially without the barge boards. :D :shock: :D

Yes, a WIP please.

Cheers,
Greg
I thought of making the Donington one, with barge boards. But I too like it better without, and with full Marlboros AND easier to make slick tyres! :D

-----

Muito obrigado smirkoff!!! I have seen that 1/1 model on youtube! YOu're right, at first glance looks right, on closer inspection not so much but I cannot imagine making a 1/1 replica so even if it's not 100% accurate, I only have respect for the guys who made it!
Last edited by Husker on Wed May 07, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Mexico

Post by Husker »

builder77 wrote:Holy Crap.
My wife would kill me trying to display that in the house!
I think that is one of the thousands of reasons I don't have a wife! Foreveralone... hahaha! :lol:

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Mexico

Post by Husker »

capri-schorsch wrote:How do you scale up the parts?What was your beginning step?A white paper or a existing model you have scaled up?
Question and no end.So a wip would be awesome.
regards
Christian
Thanks Christian! The base was the Tamiya 1/20, plus a ton of ref pics I've been collecting over the years. You know how you cover a part in masking tape to get the right shape when applying CF decals? Well, it's the same principle. I covered the entire car with masking tape dividing it in pieces. After that I scanned the tape pieces and traced them in Illustrator, resized them by 400% and now you have 1/5 scale parts. I printed those, plus a profile, front and top views in 1/5 scale so I could check the size every 10 minutes. But of course, making the body by hand, there was a lot of tweaking involved.

----

--Will be posting the WIP in a few hours--

Thanks everyone! :D

biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Post by biercemountain »

You mean it's not made of carbon fibre? But…why not? :lol:

Absolutely stunning work!!!

Jeep
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Jean-Pierre Bastien
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
Canada

Post by Jeep »

Husker wrote:Image
Jeep

The Walter Wolf WR-1 Home Page
http://WolfWR1.free.fr

The Ferrari 312T4 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/10f3Vtj

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H

Gilles Villeneuve's McLaren M23 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1VZFAkJ

Gilles Villeneuve's Ferrari 312T3 Modeller's Guide
https://bit.ly/2l5z6Ia

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

I'm floored, gobsmacked, stunned, shocked and in need of some oxygen :P

I just can't believe its True, 1/5 Scale MP4/8 :shock: , Scratchbuilt :shock: and looks Sooo Stunning :shock:

You Sir are a Genius with your hands, eyes and technical skills, put simply I am in awe of this.

Very Well Done Husker
Dede.