WIP - Ferrari 801 Long Nose MFH 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

vassa
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari. Or any Australian driver
Australia

Re: WIP - Ferrari 801 Long Nose MFH 1/20

Post by vassa »

Outstanding work. Looks sensational nice work on the exhausts too.
Regards Wayne

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

robrex wrote:Very nice! I'm amazed at the angle of that engine. Not knowing that much about the cars from that era I never considered the location of the drive shaft. Was it exposed to the driver? I can't tell whether it was covered by a floor or not. Either way the car looks brutal to drive!
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the nice words. The drive shaft cuts through the cockpit, but is covered by a shield running from the from of the footwell, under the seat and ending at the back wall of the cockpit. Couldn't have that free drive shaft, they were so concerned with driver safety back then :lol:
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Making some reasonable progress on the Ferrari 801 nowadays.

I got the primary body structure attached to the chassis. There is a section that goes under the floor , then the upper portion attached to it down along the bottom edge, behind the exhaust. The body fit remarkably well, and snapped nicely together with the floor portion.
Body Attached 2.JPG
Body Attached 1.JPG
Body Attached 3.JPG
The problem I've found is that the rear cowl is not lining up with the body panels well due to the inner structure causing it to ride too high. I'm going to have to some seriour sweet-talking to get it all to line up :? .
Rear Cowl Attached 2.JPG
So that's where it stands as of now. Quite a bit of work to do to get the body all fitting together cleanly.
Cheers,
Chris

BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Nice work Chris - Lots of work involved in this one and it's showing good results =)

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Chris,
Nearly across the finishing line and looking super. I had the same fit issues with my all metal D50 and found that the rear pegs that it lines up to were way out of alignment. Some careful bending and new holes in the rear bodywork attachment were required.
Atb,Alexp.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hey Guys,
Well, I'm still working on getting the body on, and it's not going nearly as well as I'd like. Both the front and rear cowls are having a little trouble lining up with the primary chassis/body. Given the intitial assembly, there were some significant gaps, which were totally unacceptable for me :? . So, after much heating and bending of resin, cutting, grinding and sanding of white metal and resin we have this situation.
Body Trial Assembly 1.JPG
Body Trial Assembly 5.JPG
Body Trial Assembly 4.JPG
The gaps are still not OK for me, so there's quite a bit more work to do to make it all pretty. Also, the pictures sure bring light to their being way too much orange-peel in the paint. I have been planning to leave it as being period-appropriate, but I think it's a little too much. I may polish it out a bit.

That being said, you can guess what the next big things to be completed are:wink: .
Cheers,
Chris

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Nearly there Chris and well done with the bodywork fit, it's better than my D50. I agree I think the paint work will require a light polish.
Atb,Alexp.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello Again!!
I am so excited to be back in action with my friends and colleagues here :D
Eric,
I really, really appreciate you bringing the forums back up for us. I get so much motivation and inspiration from everyone here. Thank you again for creating and maintaining our happy little world here 8)

So, here is the latest status on the Ferrari 801. The chassis is all complete, just need to get the wheels attached (they're all ready :wink: ) and the front and rear cowl finalized. I installed the intake trumpets and mesh to the engine. MFH includes a neat little tool in the kit to form the mesh covers, so they look very cool and very easy to use.
Chassis Complete 1.JPG
Chassis Complete 2.JPG
Chassis Complete 3.JPG
Chassis Complete 5.JPG
Cockpit is all complete, steering wheel installed, windscreen installed, mirros installed. Here's how it looks now.
Cockpit Complete 1.JPG
I had been wondering how to get the front and rear cowls to attach, line-up and stay on (i.e.: not fall off at the slightest provocation). Taking a cue from the Big-T, I decided to use small magnets, like on the recent Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire. Doing a quick web search for rare earth/neodymium found many options, so I bought a bunch of different sizes and shapes for future builds. I put them into the chassis, trying to make them inconspicuous.....kinda. So, this is what is looks like, and works very well. Holds the rear cowl in place well and easy enough to remove without damage.
Rear Cowl Attachment.jpg
Next up is to complete the remaining body-work, attach the wheels, decals, then wrap it all up. Almost there.
Cheers,
Chris

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Nice work Chris!!!

Looks like you're approaching the finishline :D :D :D !!!!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

Hi Chris, that's a great idea, wish I'd thought of it years back, when I built the Revival Ferrari 500. You only had to look at the model and the bonnet fell off, these little magnets will cure that problem. Thanks for the tip Chris. This WIP model of yours is really coming on superbly, for sure... It's looking great!!!
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher