Advise needed on magnetic tumbler

Ask away....

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Advise needed on magnetic tumbler

Post by gp-models »

Searching for a shop that sells magnetic stainless steel pins for a magnetic tumbler and only found some chinese seller in ebay with deliveringtime somewhere between february and april! :shock:
Does someone of you guys know another solution, a shop maybe with faster service? Would be great if it might be in europe caused by shipping costs, and what is the best size for use, 0,4 x 5mm or 0,5 x 5mm? Any tips are welcome!
Last edited by gp-models on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take a stand!

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Where to get magnetic steel pins for tumbler

Post by jaydar »

https://www.esslinger.com/stainless-ste ... oose-size/

This company sells both pins and the burnishing liquids

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

tons of pins on ebay.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you Joe for these links, i bookmarked them. The big problem is when buying in the US, i have an extra ordenary postage total which is higher then the pins itself :(
I hope for a shop in europe to safe postage costs, but sadly i can`t find them anywhere around here.
Take a stand!

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Here are a couple sources in Germany:

https://www.zujeddeloh.de/produkte/werk ... -_827.html

http://www.horbachtechnik.de/shop/produ ... s_id=29124

http://www.aurophilist.de/product_info. ... cts_id=890

...or you take the ebay ones directly from China for less money but more wait:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... s&_sacat=0

Since we're at this i have a question for those of you who use a magnetic polisher:

Which size of pins do you use and how many gramms of them ?

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thanks a lot Joachim, great links, i will give it a try :)
Thank you too Daves, but with the oversea postage costs it is too expensive finaly.

I changed the topic cause i have a few other questions left.
Like Jaykay i would like to know if there is a difference in the final result when using different sizes of pins, do i get a more shiny surface when using the 0,5mm pins or the 0,3mm for example?
Is the cleaning fluid needfull or are there other options, seen a polishing powder too that can be added to the water, do i get a better result with this stuff?
How about the running speed of the tumbler, is it better to use it with higher speed to get a better polishing result or does it only shorten the time it runs and the result is still the same?
Questions over Questions!
Maybe some of you which owns such tumbler and has a bit experience can give a bit advise to sort out which way to go. In the mean i want to use it for polishing white metal parts and maybe a few aluminium parts.
Take a stand!

viperdoug
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: SENNA
United States of America

Re: Advise needed on magnetic tumbler

Post by viperdoug »

I was also hoping someone would help out with these questions, because I'm thinking about getting one also. I hate to get one and try it out on some MFH parts. I don't have any spare white metal parts to try it out before starting my MFH kits.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

That`s what i did, the links show the same questions i have, but no real answers to most of it. You can find the word tumbler quiet often, but in the mean without any helpfull pointings.

So the questions are still open...
Take a stand!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I have a single speed tumbler so I can't tell you anything about speeds but the size of the pins have no noticeable effect on the finish. The reason for smaller pins or balls(Otto Frei offers balls as well) is to get into tighter spaces. For most parts the smaller the better. Remember, what this is doing is burnishing the surface not sanding it like an abrasive. Jewelers like them because you get very little metal loss. You still need to use a file to remove flash or unwanted seams. This takes the place of using multiple grades of sand paper and steel wool to get a polished finish. It also gets into spaces that are hard to reach with a sanding stick or steel wool.

As to the fluid, I don't know that is matters all that much what type you use. All are mildly acidic to remove dirt from the surface. They also have a little non-foaming detergent in them to assist in keeping the parts clean.

One last tip. Instead of trying to pick very small parts out of the pins in the jar, get a paper paint strainer and dump the whole mess into the strainer with a jar beneath and let it dry. This way you can save the fluid and reuse it. Once dry, pour the pins and parts out into a dish and you can get your parts that way. That way you don't miss any parts.