Tire Sanding Technique

Ask away....

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Tire Sanding Technique

Post by mobiusone »

Hey everyone, hope y'all are having a fantastic day!

I have a quick question. Being new to F1 modeling, i've heard of modelers sanding down the tires to give a more realistic affect. Would anybody like to share their technique? I'd love to do this on my first f1 model
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

lham44
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull
United States of America

Re: Tire Sanding Technique

Post by lham44 »

I took a large drill bit and wrapped some paper towel around it to get to just larger than the diameter of the inside of the tire and then wrapped it with cheap masking tape. Then I just slide the tire on, run the drill and hold a piece of 80 grit sandpaper on it until the seam is gone (I recommend doing this over a trash can). Goes pretty quick! I'm sure others have more engineered methods but that was what I managed to MacGyver in a pinch and it works just fine.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

This works for me...
1.2014-05-28 19.21.49.jpg
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Post by jaws »

Another option is the use of a emery board. Do like the drill setup as well.
Easy enough to just use the emery board and sand away. Certainly not as quick as the drill.
Feel I have a bit more control so I don't sand too much. Believe a 400 or 600 grit will do the trick.

Auspuff
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Auspuff »

Sandwich the tire between two washers, thread a bolt through the two washers, and put a nut on the end. Chuck this assembly in a drill and spin the tire against something abrasive.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

Alex Kustov's "ItalianHorses" website has this great tutorial on using an electric drill to easily sand tires:

http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/TireScuff/tires.htm

Cameron

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

I do the drill and emery board thing but it hadn't occurred to me to sandwich the donut between washers. Great idea!

Jimmy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Jimmy »

I use the KISS method. Simply place a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and drag the tire over it in a rotating manner. That way I have complete control over the tire and don't have to worry about out of roundness on a spinning drill hitting high spots only. Sure, it may take a little longer, but, I'm in no hurry.

Mike
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Mike »

Use a socket from your tool box to put the tire on chuck it into your drill and hold it on a piece of coarse sandpaper works like a charm!!! Just make sure you use a socket that keeps the tire on it tight

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Jimmy wrote:I use the KISS method. Simply place a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and drag the tire over it in a rotating manner. That way I have complete control over the tire and don't have to worry about out of roundness on a spinning drill hitting high spots only. Sure, it may take a little longer, but, I'm in no hurry.
That's my technique as well, for the reasons stated (except I'll go as coarse as 200-grit if need be). :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari