Ask away....

Topic author
bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

ALFA 179 or 179C

Post by bestbalsakits »

guys,

anybody can confirm this is 179 and not 179C? don't know where to look for differences.
I'll be doing 1/12 decal sheet...

Also, when the ciggies add turned to stripes, how did rear wing look? Same pattern?
thx.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Re: ALFA 179 or 179C

Post by Tiffoc »

Hi Wim...

I confirm it's a 179.
Here pic:

Alfa 179C
Alfa-Romeo-179C.jpg
Alfa-Romeo-179C.jpg (4.87 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Last edited by Tiffoc on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Model codes may be misleading: in 1981 a variety was used, and not so revealing of car differencies.
Yest these are ALL 179 from 1980. No doubt. Hint: black side numbers, goodyear tyres. In 1981 michelin, Motta as a sponsor, livery closer to the mclarens scheme, plus white numbers on red area. Not that hard to find anyway ;-)
bare aluminum rear wing both at Brands and Hockenheim...

DiemenRacer
Midfield
Midfield

Post by DiemenRacer »

The top photo appears to be from Watkins Glen 1980 based on the blue guardrail, foliage and U-Haul truck in the background.
Mark

Topic author
bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

thanks all.

@james: you know, i never noticed the different color scheme on both cars. How could i miss :oops: :oops:

Back to drawing table. Decal to become available in 8-12 weeks

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by atlantakat1 »

Looking forward to seeing the 179 decals, particularly the Marls as my kit only has the blocks which I always try to replace. Hope you would consider doing the tobacco sponsorship only as a separate sheet.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Wim, It might be a wise idea to include the option decals for the all Italian red and the red and white (not flo red) versions of the car. Those in my opinion were both better looking then the McLarenesk tobacco paint scheme and can easily be made from the Protar 179 kit. The car in the picture that Tiffoc posted is indeed a 179C, indicative of the full width front wing. If you want some reference pictures I can post those later, right now my connection is too slow :(

:D :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

Icon_Modeler wrote:Wim, It might be a wise idea to include the option decals for the all Italian red and the red and white (not flo red) versions of the car. Those in my opinion were both better looking then the McLarenesk tobacco paint scheme and can easily be made from the Protar 179 kit. The car in the picture that Tiffoc posted is indeed a 179C, indicative of the full width front wing. If you want some reference pictures I can post those later, right now my connection is too slow :(

:D :D :D
That's how I've always identified the two cars Derek, 179 having separate front wings either side of nose and the C having the full width front wing. Another way is by the vents on top front of the side pods, although I believe Alfa included them on the 179, I think, for the last two races of 1980, please correct me if I'm wrong...
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

yes you are ;-) vents were there all the time. Simply harder to spot within the all fluo red of 1980, and they were clear (yes!) in 1979.
There are many features, but I'd say the color scheme is mostly evident, but yes the wing does help

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

JamesB wrote:yes you are ;-) vents were there all the time. Simply harder to spot within the all fluo red of 1980, and they were clear (yes!) in 1979.
There are many features, but I'd say the color scheme is mostly evident, but yes the wing does help

Thanks James...

Merry Christmas :D
Michael Schumacher