Ask away....

Topic author
moongo580
F2
F2

MP4/27 Chrome finish?

Post by moongo580 »

Hi all,

What's the best paint for the Chrome on the MP4/27? Would Alclad Chrome do?

THanks

Tony

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: MP4/27 Chrome finish?

Post by hquednau »

I would like to know as well, but would also ask "what's the best paint if I don't want to use Alclad?" Or am I being needlessly fearful of this stuff?

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I don't think there is a "best" paint. Just go with what you think is right. I've tried Alclad Chrome and I really don't rate that stuff. I love the other Alclad's, just don't seem to have very good results with the chrome as it always ends up looking either way too dark or just like any other silver paint I've used. After seeing the real car at the Donington GP Collection, I was surprised at the finish. It was not what I was expecting at all. More a kind of dark polished steel finish rather than chrome..
Steve Noble

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Just last week I did my first ever successful spraying with Alclad chrome and I am actually very happy with the result. Previous attempts have been disappointing but definitely getting the gloss black undercoat correct is the key! As Steve says, I wouldn't say the Mclarens are chrome anyway, try finding Lezdeps WIP on a Mclaren. He's got the best finish I've yet seen for one of these cars.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Don't know if these photo's will help but you're welcome to them anyway..

Steve Noble

Topic author
moongo580
F2
F2

Post by moongo580 »

Thanks Steve et al.

Looks like a polished steel the more I look at it.

What about this stuff from Zero?
http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2054

Also notice FF paints have a AN Chrome.

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

Hi

As the other have said, it is not as chrome as a plated object might be, it as a bit of a smoke tint to it. Daylight and indoor lighting might influence the overall perception.
For achieving this look in modeling, a few of us are looking into it, Sergey as spent a lot of time to solve this modern F1 problem.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers
Attachments
mp427-1.jpg

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

..and one more I took last year. The lighting affects the color a lot. I tried using Tamiya TS 83 (which also requires a black base). I think it is close, but I was not able to get the finish consistant- some was shiny, some less so. Then I messed up the sidepod decals. Also not sure if you can clear coat over TS 83; the real car has a clearcoat-style gloss, I think. If only the real car wasn't so ugly I would try again.

H
Attachments
mac.jpg

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

Also, there is this- sorry if a re-post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8QRFYTnAw

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

I have tried all possible model variants of the so called mirror finish. The only one that works for me is Alclad chrome with the milky white (in the bottle) gloss coat. All others fail miserably and ends being just a bright silver with little or no reflection.

Note that the McLaren is painted and not foiled so it is less reflective than the cars that ran in DTM. So the gloss coat removes just a tad of the reflection to render it appropriate for a McLaren in a model

But beware. Alclad needs a PERFECTLY gloss black undercoat. Actually I used a gloss black Humbrol which dried hard. After that is was thoroughly polished to a 'mirrorfinish'. A couple of light coats of Alclad Chrome did the trick. When the Alclad was bone dry buff it lightly as well with a soft cotton cloth. Then it can be glosscoated with Aqua gloss (the milky white stuff - NOT the clear stuff! This will also require some time to dry. THEN decals and then another closscoat - same stuff again. I don't think it can be polished though, so it has to be perfect from the airbrush...

This was the result

Flemming