PLASTIC Upcoming Releases 2013

For all F1 scale model news...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: PLASTIC Upcoming Releases 2013

Post by JamesB »

I don't see Hasegawa getting into the eighties. The closest they went into that, they hit Tamiya head-on :lol:
I'd say they'll go backwards while maybe Ebbro might go a bit forwards so the meet in the middle.

I see more Fujimi making not only modern but 80's cars too.
Bring on the eighties: at this rate, maybe even Mark Knopfler will rank agaib with Dire Straits... :mrgreen:

I think the MP4/2 variants are a no brainer for Fujimi.

Let's see, they've done 7 cars (forget variants) in the 2003-2012 bracket, and
other six within the 1981-1992 bracket (8 counting F92A and Footwork reissues) so the balance looks as they'll keep seeding both fields, right?

J

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by atlantakat1 »

I hope Hasegawa stays in the genre -- a 312B3 would be awesome. And it seems a waste for them to put out a single Cosworth kit and then stop but I worry that Tamiya took the wind out of their sails (or is it sales) on the whole 1/20 F1 line.

FORZAFERRARI
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by FORZAFERRARI »

JamesB wrote:Bring on the eighties: at this rate, maybe even Mark Knopfler will rank agaib with Dire Straits...
Yes pleace! I'll praise the lord on my bare knees if that ever will happen, And i'm not even religious :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Remco

hirofkd
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by hirofkd »

Here's a summary of interview in F1 Modeling 53, translated by a machine, cleaned up by a human.

INTERVIEWER: Tell us your thoughts after 9 months from EBBRO's first plastic kit.
KIYA: Thanks to everyone, it's been very well-received, especially from overseas, with the overseas sales of 70%, which is new to us because our mini car sales are domestic.
INTERVIEWER: Rob Walker variation came out, followed by the 72C and then 49 soon. No break to take.
KIYA: I really wanted to realize how the 72E's side panels cover the monocoque. As for the 49, it's interesting - fun to build. Like how the DFV fits the tight monocoque. I like its simplicity, but it gets more and more complex as it develops into the 49B and 49C, which is so messy (laughs), but that's also a part of the 49's appeal.
INTERVIEWER: Is it necessary to study the real cars?
KIYA: You can't design without knowing [the subject]. It's a tradition I've been using since my Tamiya days, whether it's good or bad. In the past, we were able to get away, so long as the drawing looked okay. But [now] we can't design unless the data is complete because this is the age of 3D. Designing of the 49 kit was challenging at first because the car has been reverted from spec B and C, so they retain some of the B and C characteristics, like rivet locations. We carefully examined everything, and determined what to include and what to omit.
INTERVIEWER: You have to be accurate down to rivets? Speaking of accuracy, people liked the mirror stays in the Rob Walker kit.
KIYA: It was designed by a watch band designer, who happens to be working on the front structure of the 72E right now. It had to be optional because of the price.
INTERVIEWER: Otherwise, modelers will have a hard time fabricating the part themselves.
KIYA: While at it, we're thinking of doing the same for the 72C, even though the structure is totally different. When the 72C kit came out, I thought aftermarket firm would take care of it, but it appears ignored (laughs), so we'll do it.
INTERVIEWER: Are you entering the aftermarket business?
KIYA: Not exactly. We wanted to include those parts in our kit, but the price would be too high. We just want to give an option to those who want it.
INTERVIEWER: Any progress from 72 to 49 kits?
KIYA: Concept is a little different in the 49 kits. We want to give the impression of building a real car, like attaching panels to the cockpit inner frame. It also has something to do with the upcoming 49B and 49C kits. Outer panels have to be separate, or you can't do 49B or 49C kits.
INTERVIEWER: Sounds quite time-consuming.
KIYA: No kidding! (laughs) It'd be much easier to design kits where you glue parts to a body shell. We could have gone for such a workaround, but I didn't want to do that.
INTERVIEWER: Because of your commitment to details?
KIYA: My intent is to let the modelers enjoy construction, the process of assembly itself. So in the 49 kit, we also aimed for ease of assembly, which is opposite of detail enhancement. For example, the air funnel and injector are separate in our kits up to the 79E. But that's exactly how Tamiya did. I was irritated by the fact that our latest kit has the same design as 40-year-old kits. After trial and error, we decided to use a sliding mold, which allows for a one-piece design, which is easier to build. I wonder why I didn't notice that with the 72 kits (laughs). I want to have little improves like that in every kit.
INTERVIEWER: What's next?
KIYA: We'll do Tyrrell. I wanted to do all cars from 001 to 003, but I gave up on the 001 because the monocoque is completely different. Plus, the market demand won't be as strong as the Lotus. The 002 and 003 will have two kinds of nose section. We want to release variations for Stewart and Cebert because cowl designs are different. Sample will be shown at Nurnberg Toy Fair (Feb 1 - 6), followed by the official revealing at the Hobby Show [in Shizuoka] in May. I'm also thinking of doing the 005 and 006. It's just a thought because I have many more subjects I want to make.
INTERVIEWER: Are they mostly 60s - 70s ?
KIYA: We'll also do something completely different, and we already started designing late 70s to 80s cars. I also want to try the latest F1 cars, but it's impossible because the engine is kept secret so intensely. It'd be boring, and wouldn't match EBBRO's product concept.
INTERVIEWER: Can you give us some concrete ideas?
KIYA: Any cars from when F1 was interesting in terms of vehicle appeal. After Tyrrell, we're thinking of going back to Lotus, and do the 88, 88B and 91. Fortunately the 91 is on display at Tamiya headquarters, and 88B is owned by a Japanese collector, so it'd be easy to study those subjects. Another idea is 60s Honda. EBBRO did 1/20 diecast, but it's been 10 years, and it'd be nice to have easy-to-build Honda F1 plastic kits.
INTERVIEWER: Modelers can be more hopeful than ever.
KIYA: My personal dream is to make the Brabham Honda F2 in 1/20 scale. I always wanted to make the pipe frame of it. Diecast would be okay, but now we have another option (i.e. plastic), so maybe we can do a hybrid where you attach plastic parts to a diecast frame. I hope I can do that before I die.
INTERVIEWER: What do you think about so many choices, with other manufacturers (including EBBRO) releasing a lot of F1 kits?
KIYA: Certainly not bad a bad thing, and the situation is positive for us. But I want the kits to be properly designed so they can be built. Some products are scaled-down copies of existing kits, which is not good. They even include mistakes of the original, which is probably because the real cars weren't studied. It's sad. Having said that, we'd like to use Tamiya's Alfa Romeo engine, and if we can get an official approval, I want to make the BT45.
INTERVIEWER: No mention of Ferrari for far. Is the hurdle too high?
KIYA: Not really. Their royalty system is very clear, so to a certain extent, as long as you pay, you can get a license easier than other manufacturers. So the hurdle is actually lower, but to think of any Ferrari I want to build...hmmm...maybe something Gilles Villeneuve related that can be built properly! (laughs)

End

Highlight of the interview to me is that EBBRO is already working on 80s subject. I also hope for the collaboration with Tamiya to materialize. And more than anything, I wish F1 Modeling to go bilingual. It's got so much interesting information not available in any other language but Japanese, which isn't spoken by many.

jaymtford
Midfield
Midfield

Post by jaymtford »

Thanks for posting that translation hirofkd. Lots of interesting info in there!

"We'll also do something completely different". That comment intrigued me. Maybe sportscars to go with the F1 kits?

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

SUPER THANKS A LOT to Hirofkd for that superb translation :D :D :D . REALLY GOLD. :D :D :D
Yes - it would VERY nice to have F1 Modeling in English. Such interviews are highly interesting.
And I have the impression the latest issue 53 have more pages regarding modelling. This is great news - show us some superb modeling projects done by the best Japanese modellers.
And I also miss some of the historical pictures that used to be included in the magazine time ago.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Thanks for the translation - I like a lot what he has to say!

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Thanks for translating the interview hirofkd. :D One of the most informative things I've read on here all week :wink:

Lots of interesting hints to keep people guessing as well. A Villeneuve car that can be built properly for instance... Fujimi and Tamiya product come to mind!
It's certainly very good news that overseas sales made up 70% of sales. I wonder if they're able to determine how many domestic Japanese sales are actually heading offshore? (HLJ and the like).

Thanks again hirofkd.

Cheers,
Terry

Luzne
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Pierluigi
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Tyrrell
Italy

Post by Luzne »

Thank you veeery much for the translation! :D
"something Gilles Villeneuve related that can be built properly!" Maybe the 312T2 Gilles drove in late '77 replacing Lauda?? 8)
49s! Tyrrells! '80 turbos?! Gilles' cars! I need many overtime working hours... :lol:

Pierluigi
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Very interesting article. The 49 sounds quite different with the idea of the panels being built up in such a way. It's nice to know that kit design is in the hands of people are determined to provide the best product possible. Certainly sounds like we have a lot to look forward to.