Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Telford Scale Model World

Post by Flemming »

Hi

Just back from Scale Model World in UK where the car entry as expected is not heavy to say that mildly. So when a competitor brings a potential winner it is a good idea to put it in the correct class...

A couple of no holds barred with all the bells and whistles Top Studio sets with perfect paint, finish and detailing MP4/4's entered in a class that ends with 1:21 scale... doh!

Tough luck buddy - but I guess he can bring them next year? Very nicely executed though.

Flemming

vassa
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari. Or any Australian driver
Australia

Re: Telford Scale Model World

Post by vassa »

Those builds look fantastic. Who is at fault for placed in the wrong category-competitor or competition officals.
Regards Wayne

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

I,m afraid to say the entrant is at fault, rules for SMW state that the entrant is responsible to place the model in the correct section.
However I felt really sorry for the guy because the "Mac's" were a "no brain" winner, they looked superb.

Atb,AlexP.

Deegee13
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: David Gillyon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
Great Britain

Post by Deegee13 »

Hi,

I too felt very sorry for this Spanish chap who did not enter his models in the wrong class; the judges got it very wrong.

In the rules Class 48 stated '1/29 up to 1/20 scale' whereas the card on the competition table stated '1/29 up to 1/21st'.

Quite a few were disqualified in Class 48, as the entrants, including me, entered 1/20th F1 cars. I had a Ferrari F189 disqualified as the judges said it should have been in Class 49, which stated in the rules (which was published on the Scale Modelworld website, and I have a copy in front of me) '1/19 scale and larger'.

I pointed out the errors to the Competition Secretary after the judging had finished, but it was too late to do anything about it.

These McLarens were absolutely superb and I think the poor chap was very disappointed and said he would not be back next year. He said that in Spain, if models were entered in the wrong category (which I repeat these were not) the judges would simply move them.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

How silly is that? There's a little mixup with the classes and instead of just putting the models in the correct one at the start of judging they get disqualified??
What moron comes up with bureaucracy BS like that and gets away with it?

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

jaykay wrote:How silly is that? There's a little mixup with the classes and instead of just putting the models in the correct one at the start of judging they get disqualified??
What moron comes up with bureaucracy BS like that and gets away with it?
I would have to agree, seems all a bit too tit for tat. Sounds like the judges take their place of authority a little too seriuos and have lost site of the fact it is a "MODEL CONTEST" and it was/is supposed to be fun after all.
Last edited by Icon_Modeler on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Does all sound very petty to me. Guess thats why the only place I display my models is on this forum, and thats very infrequently. I appreciate any creative criticism I get but am not competetive about my model making at all. I aim to make every kit better but couldn't care less about competing with any one else, besides, having seen the builds that appear on here I wouldn't last 5 minutes...

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi All,

Daveyman, I couldn't agree with you more. It's a sad facet of competitions like this when the Judges adopt a God-like stance over a simple error which would take 2 seconds to fix. When judges behave in this manner they need to have a good long look at themselves and exercise some common sense.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney Oz.

TheClaw
F3
F3

Post by TheClaw »

Problem is that '2 second' problem is repeated many times over and just adds time to the whole judging process. the organisers are always under pressure to open the competition area up for the public asap so cannot really win.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

I don't get it. People don't enter their models 2s before judging begins, right?
When the organisers accept a model entry, they should check if everything is alright. If not, that should be fixed then and there.