For all F1 scale model news...

gablet
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Lauda
Italy

Re: Any new releases coming IN PLASTIC?

Post by gablet »

Mmmh it could probably mean that EBBRO is going to show their Lotus at the next Tamiya fair.
Anyway I really hope the "big T" could release an 1/20 L72!

hirofkd
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by hirofkd »

To clarify, Ebbro will showcase Ebbro's own 72C kit at the Tamiya Fair 2011.

Ebbro was founded in 1998 by Makoto Kiya, a former Tamiya kit designer who (among other enthusiastic kit designers) made Tamiya so great in car model market. He was one of the real car guys at Tamiya, having involved in various subjects, and was reportedly the man behind their classic sports car kits. (That explains why the subject suddenly died.)

That means we can expect the Tamiya quality from Ebbro's 72C because quality has a lot to do with the designers' know-how. I doubt Mr. Kiya is directly involved in designing of individual parts any more (and the job could have been outsourced to China), but his reputation as a car fanatic with abundant experience in "plastic kits" is enough for me to have high hope.

The question is, how much the 72C's retail price is going to be (around 5000 yen?), and what will be the next all-new kit after easily-predictable Lotus 72 variations.

Obi-Jiff
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Obi-Jiff »

hirofkd wrote:The question is,... what will be the next all-new kit after easily-predictable Lotus 72 variations.
Lotus 49! Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease.
Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Sounds like EBBRO has a passion for models. Good to see them get into kits. Now if they will only do some 1/24th scale sportscars since I don't build 1/20th scale F1 or sportscars(although I like seeing other peoples 1/20th builds).

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 2012

Topic author
drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

I'm really excited to see what Mr Kiya and EBBRO will do in competition with Tamiya. That will be a really cool "war", if it develops...

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Here in Japan, diecast maker Ebbro announced at the 51st All Japan Hobby Show that they'll be releasing their first plastic kit, the Lotus 72C in 1/20, next March. An article in the January 2012 issue of Model Graphix magazine (mags are always dated at least a month in advance here - must be marketing reasons), had some quotes from Ebbro rep, a Mr Kitani, saying that he'd always wanted to design a Lotus 72 kit since his days at Tamiya, when he was in charge of developing their Gran Prix collection cars from No 1 (the Tyrrell P34 six-wheeler) to No 44 (the Lotus 25 Coventry Climax). Says he's realizing an old dream. We'll see. The mag article says there'll be a reduced part number, a la pre-Williams Honda FW11 models from Tamiya, but that the quality is good. It also says the kit will come with decals to replicate the 7th to 10th, or British to Italian GPs, that is, Jochen Rindt's last ride until he lost his life. We're all excited about the kit here. The more 1/20 Formula One kit makers, the merrier! (Check out Ebbro's own website for more news.)

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Eagle50 wrote:We're all excited about the kit here
Let's make a club. :mrgreen:
By the way. Thank you VERY MUCH for your nice translation. This is gold info for non-japanese like me.
If I was reborn tomorrow I would start learning Japanese.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

d111298pw
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Mark Nicodemus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by d111298pw »

Fujimi is releasing another version of the Ferrari F2003GA, for the Spanish GP. Shows a March release date. Guess the skeleton version will be after that.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10170370
Mark

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

There's another interview with Ebbro's Mr Kiya in the latest issue of Model Cars magazine, here in Japan. In short, he said:
- He's really excited about the company's up-coming Lotus 72C release (but of course he'd say that!)
- They took all their measurements from a Lotus 72D (not C) chassis, and made adjustments to C.
- The 3D computer data was put together here in Japan, then sent to China to make molds.
- Mr Kiya thinks this will be a good future business model - 3D work in Japan then molding in China.
- He was pleasantly surprised at how well all the 72C test-shot parts fit together (but of course he'd say that too!)

Can't wait for the kit to come out in March!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yes the fact of it being done in China does not mean doubts on quality. As commented here and elsewhere on the Focus, basicly you get what you pay for. In China and elsewhere. Dragon AFV kits are done (and probably engineered) in China and are astounding.
I think it'll be a nice car and much declined, hehe.
I'm happy for all those who love the 72. It's not my favourite, but I do know that Looooots of people worship it.
Guys, can you see? the 79, the 72, in a few years some of the most admired.