Ebbro Lotus 88 Essex WIP!

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Ebbro Lotus 88 Essex WIP!

Post by mobiusone »

So finally got mine in after a long journey with SAL, and as promised here is my WIP of it! I know this car is a popular subject, so I wanted to show how this kit builds for you all, even if im may not be the best for the job. Things might start off a bit slow, as i'm still finishing up my Larrousse, and I have a plymouth satellite to build for fathers day, but it will get started!

Anyway onto my first impressions of the kit. 1st thought, wow this is big. But then i remember i've been working alot in 1/24 so scratch that ha. Although I compared and it is about as long as an MP4/4 so. 2nd thought was just how many parts there are! This kit is going to be very detailed, and looking at it i think it is well worth the price you pay. The one thing I would have liked is maybe some plug wire detail for the DFV. Mr. Ebbro notes that in the instructions, pointing you towards MFH detail sets. So on his word, and because I have them on hand, i'll probably use MFH's DFV white metal head covers and plug wire sets, along with some of their DFV air intake mesh. Thats about all i'll add aftermarket wise.

So with that, it looks like it is time to begin! And if my builds of other Ebbro kits are anything to go off of, this one should be fun!

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Ebbro Lotus 88 Essex WIP!

Post by daveyman »

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes together. Good on you for doing a WIP. Thanks.

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Thanks for jumping right in with a WIP of the Ebbro 88, i will follow your progress with interest.
Dede.

mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

This should be helpful when I finally lay my hands on mine in Aug. Thanks

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

mazyen wrote:... when I finally lay my hands on mine in Aug. Thanks
Smart man. If there are any bugs in the kit, Ebbro will have worked them out by then. LOL

Cheers, Chris

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice to see you working on this, seems like the fist WIP on this.
Watching with interest, a real cool car you have choosen! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Thanks guys :) I wan't to give everyone a good first glance, as well as learn from my probably many mistakes! Like the first one! Ha. In assembling the engine, make sure to read carefully, as the base actually comes from a different fret and appears to be a new mold (black one). A fret of nothing but DFV goodies is provided, and my guess is that is the standard Ebbro DFV kit.

But other than that, after a quick put together with everything falling into place, and a quick once over with primer, we have the base to the DFV! Mr. Ebbro really did a great job with the DFV's for his kits.

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Yeah, I think Mr. Kiya did a good job with his DFV's too. Glad he didn't accept Mr. Tamiya's offer, and just use parts from the same mould as Tamiya's 40 year old McLaren M23, Wolf WR1, Ligier JS11 and other kits. Gotta make sure you use the correct "extra" DFV parts for your particular Ebbro car, though.

Cheers, Chris

injidup
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Kev
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by injidup »

Thanks for starting this wip. My 88 has just arrived so I'll be following with interest. Have you decided how you're going to do the side panels yet, given the two choices?

What blue paint will you use?

Topic author
mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

IF I can get them off the sprues well enough, i'll use the chrome one side panels for sure. As for the blue, I think i'm going to stick with Mr. Ebbro's recommendation of TS-50 Mica Blue. I've looked at pictures of the color, and it seems somewhat close enough. Although it will probably turn into another heated color debate, it is good enough for me :) Although, it seems like it is a lot harder to find here in the states vs. other TS colors.

Also, if you live in the states and don't have this kit yet, but want it, I can't recommend this hobby shop enough. I literally buy stuff from them weekly, even though I live 1000 miles away :lol: They've always treated me well and they have 3 in stock! (even though i emailed them about this kit weeks ago asking if they'd get it in, never heard back grumble grumble :x haha) The price is right on par with what you can buy from Japan.

http://freetimehobbies.com/1-20-ebbro-1 ... -race-car/

- Ayrton Senna