McLaren MP4-27 Fujimi 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

McLaren MP4-27 Fujimi 1/20

Post by Dede »

I haven't posted a WIP in a while only posted pictures of my finished models so I decided to go ahead and do this as a WIP as it is an interesting kit to build with the Chrome McL paint scheme, I have been keen to try this out to see what it turns out like, I have used Alclad for a good while now so hopefully no problems will arise, the glass like smooth black base as we all know is essentilal to success, I did a few test pieces of Alclad chrome & polished aluminium over Black Gloss enamel and decided to go with the chrome & alclad's aqua gloss.

Anyway a little progress to start the ball rolling:

All parts cleaned up and sanded etc ready for painting and C/F-ing, the body needs to be perfectly smooth before the black base gets laid down, Glued most of the body panels closed as it is going to be a curbside, there ain't much to see in the engine bay anyway, the nose is temporarily spot glued on for paint/clear coat continuity, the front wing is certainly the most complicated on a kit I have started so far, I count 29 seperate plastic pieces for the wing alone.!.

MP4-27 Aus GP 2012 kit, I like Jensen but I think Lewis overall deserves the build as he made the most of the car over the course of the season.

Front Wing: WOW, 29 parts :shock: (some assembled already for better paint finish)

The Alclad tests: the pics dont show much of a difference, there is a little, I even test mixed the chrome+Pol alu (centre) and it was much like the chrome really. I think as the aqua gloss takes the edge off the finish slightly that the chrome is best to go with IMO.

More Soon,
Thanks.
Dede.

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Fujimi 1/20

Post by R.Wells »

Looking forward to this one.
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Dede,

I'm very interested to read how you'll tackle Alclad paints. I'm fairly certain I've read that it rubs off quite easily. Do you plan on sealing the Alclad paint with clear-coat(s)? I'd be very interested to read your thoughts on this matter.

Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I know when I use alclad paint, especially chrome, it can rub off very easily. I guess thats what the aqua gloss is for? I may have to try some of that.

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Nice start on that.

It will be interesting to see the final model.

Keep the good work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Topic author
Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Paul_OFarrell wrote:Hi Dede,

I'm very interested to read how you'll tackle Alclad paints. I'm fairly certain I've read that it rubs off quite easily. Do you plan on sealing the Alclad paint with clear-coat(s)? I'd be very interested to read your thoughts on this matter.

Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.
Hi Paul,
Yes I will seal the Alclad with the Aqua Gloss as Daveyman said, It is really good over the Alclad Chrome & polished Alu, it means you can handle the parts without it rubbung off and it doesn't kill the great alclad finish like some clears do, if you use Alclad this gloss is a must have.
Thanks.
Dede.

injidup
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Kev
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by injidup »

Thanks for posting the spoons!

Topic author
Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Time for an update as I got the prepped parts painted black, stage 1 of the paint process:
The way I approached this painting was to use the Enamel black directly on the bare plastic, no primer was used (Just makes it too rough IMO) , I took a lot of time to key up the plastic with various grades of wet & dry sand paper working down to a fine grade worn 2000. this left the plastic perfectly smooth and ready for the black enamel, first coat was a light coat followed by a heavier coat about 30 mins later, 24hours later it got another wet coat and it looks like this Black Chrome , I dont think it possible to get a better gloss black smooth finish than enamel, it self-levels because it takes longer to dry than automotive and just gleams :shock: , I guess that is why Alclad recommends it! :wink: , there are a few small dust particles as usual but they will be lightly sanded out and polished up along with the rest of the bodywork to keep it consistent before the Alclad Chrome goes on, well that is stage 1 completed successfully, I hope the next stage goes smoothly too..

Black Chrome

Thanks Guys.
Dede.

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

Wow!!!!! :shock:
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Wow! With such a finish I would buy some aftermarket decals for a Lotus car and avoid a chance to destroy it with another coat of paint :-D

Excellent paint job!

Cheers,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA