Ferrari 333SP WIP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Ferrari 333SP WIP

Post by PanAmNut »

Hi All!

Back with more fun after my 312b build of last year. This time it’s a sporty car but at least with an F-1 inspired engine.

I’m attacking an MG 333SP reputed to be in 12th.sc. but apparently it’s actually closer to 14th. This one will be after Chassis #026, a second generation SP produced under rights by Michelotto. It will depict the 3rd. place 1998/99 Rolex Daytona 24 Hours car. It qualified 2nd. and eventually finished 3rd. after leading handily in the late stages. Reportedly the right rear upright developed issues and several stops were required to set things right.

In any event it’s sure to be an adventure considering the quality of the MG lump I get to start with.

Stay tuned ……… metal swarf and grinding dust appear next issue.

Enjoy,

-elh-
P1010001.JPG
Even a superficial review of the MG box contents reveals additional help will be required. A batch of bits from the Tamiya 641 box should help with the drivetrain.
P1010008.JPG
Good reference to start things off. I’ve a batch of generic 333 images from various race events, the excellent Cavalleria publication (covering the 1st. generation cars) and a batch of images I was fortunate enough to capture during a half-day with my specific subject (subject unclothed).
P1010066.JPG
A lot of resin here …………. that’s about all that can be said. Quality was likely the reason this one disappeared from their inventory. For the most part it looks like these two bits and the roll hoop is about all that I’ll be using in this build ……… sigh!
P1010058.JPG
Ample evidence of the need for Tamiya help. This stuff is beyond repair.
P1010071.JPG
Yeah, it’s all MG white metal but only retained for reference purposes, all or near all will be replaced.
P1010078.JPG
The gap behind Tamiya block highlights the need for a bellhousing fabrication and the need for an overall height adjustment too. Exhaust primary pipes will be useful but everything from the first siamese back will see scratchbuilding commence. An entire new undertray will be required too.
Last edited by PanAmNut on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Ferrari 333SP WIP

Post by f40 »

I will follow this WIP closely. I just purchased this kit and it is a mission. Im sure you will do it justice. I had this kit years ago and traded it away. I looked for a long time to get it back and finally found one on this site. Cant wait for you to do this one. :D

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

It will be a joy to watch you pull this one together, Lookin forward to the updates..
Dede.

Gooch
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Dave Sans
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Gooch »

That should be a fun build in that scale looking forward to watching it come together.
Regards,
Dave

Topic author
PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

f40 wrote:I will follow this WIP closely. I just purchased this kit and it is a mission. Im sure you will do it justice. I had this kit years ago and traded it away. I looked for a long time to get it back and finally found one on this site. Cant wait for you to do this one. :D
Yeah, I saw that develop but since it's only my opinion I thought it best not to try to warn you off it. Besides, if one really wants a large 333 it's (sadly) the only game in town.

I'm not too sure how much help I'll be as this one will see most of the MG stuff go into "storage" and get repalced with scratched parts, but feel free to inquire as desired. I even have a batch of bits I'd be happy to part with.

Cheers,

-elh-

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

Oooo...got my attention! Gotta be in the full Momo livery though! ;-)
Saw it doing Le Mans with Max Papis - long, long time ago.

Topic author
PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

vontrips wrote:Oooo...got my attention! Gotta be in the full Momo livery though! ;-)
Saw it doing Le Mans with Max Papis - long, long time ago.
I'd prefer the MOMO too, however my team orders are .........

Greatly enjoyed spectating the MOMO Daytona win years back. Moretti, leading while nearing the end of his last stint before the finish radioed that he was going to take a dump in the seat so none of his co-drivers would step up to replace him ;-) He was one happy guy right then.

Cheers,

-elh-

Topic author
PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

Ok, on to more highlights.
P1010094.JPG
Rear suspension mocked-up. Not only lacking detail but the wrong configuration for the 2nd. gen car. At least I have reference points though.
P1010073.JPG
This highlights the volume of resin provided ….. thinning anyone? That giant NACA duct on the body side will have to be dealt with along with a myriad of other body mods.
P1010062.JPG
Test fitting the engine reveals that the rear of the monocoque (housing the fuel cell) will have to go. More on that later.
P1010034-1.JPG
All the rear suspension links feature that airfoil cross section so that complicates the build-up a bit … but still “doable”. “Heim” joint replicas are machined and used for fitting. Trick is to assure that they’re the same side to side.
P1010040-1.JPG
Original white metal links are above, fabrications below. Aside from improving the detail the new links were required for the 2nd. gen. configuration. I opted to retain (after significant clean-up) the resin "lump" that resides behind the engine as it is merely the oil tank and the entire scratchbuilt transmission and all of the suspension components merely utilize it as a mount. I chose to deal with this area first since it established the wheelbase and aided in properly locating everything when replacing the undertray.
P1010041-1.JPG
Things begin to shape-up. Evergreen was used for the mounts and rivets temporarily secure the links during the fitting. You can also identify an added oil tank/engine mount lug and what I assumed was cam driven scavenge pump (one per bank) housing at the rear of the cam covers. These team up with a "bellhousing" at the base of the engine to properly describe the spacing between the trans/engine. All that is happy now and I will essentially build fore/aft and laterally from that assembly and hopefully end up with a racecar!
P1010044-1.JPG
Meaty stuff now! This reflects the fabrication of the "transversal" components arrayed about the oil tank. Essentially a mini-kit, we'll eventually see a batch of turned components added as well as a batch of minute fasteners to secure the trans layers. As many of you are aware all this mounts, somewhat in the order shown, to the sides of the oil tank. A book of reference images facilitated all this ......... can't say enough about the value of that !

Enjoy ......... more soon.

Cheers,

-elh-

garymc
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gary McIntyre
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren, Senna
United States of America

Post by garymc »

Hey Ed, nice to see the build on this as i have been waiting after the teaser photo you sent me awhile back. Looks like you have your work cut out but with your skill i know it will be a beauty when completed.

Regards,G

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

I follow this closely...
Good luck until the end.
Thanks for sharing!