Brabham BT44B, Tamiya 1/12

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Brabham BT44B, Tamiya 1/12

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Hi

last week I started another project, the 1/12 BT44B by Tamiya, the latest rerelease with etched parts. Badyear decals are missing as usual, I made an order at Indycals for those.

First I did the engine. I made some small improvements: the spark plug wires are connected with a little boot, I used a bit from the supplied tubing, inserted a shorter piece of hard wire in it and bent it 90 degrees. Because the inner wire is shorter than the tubing I could still plug it on the (shortened) pins on the engine. The fuel lines on the real car were only transparent for the first few cm, so I took 0.5mm transparent rubber line and painted it black except for the first mms. Then I cut off the ends of the injector parts, glued short pieces of gold painted tube on the parts and inserted the fuel lines. Looks a little bit better than the original... I think.

This weekend my airbrush had a lot to do. I painted some of the body parts with Zero brilliant white. Then I put the decals on and then some coats of Zero 1k clear, next step sanding and polishing (might be a bit difficult on the areas with rivets...)

I also used quiet a lot of my Alcad aluminium supply. On photos of the firewall you could see that the triangular areas had a slightly different appearance, so I put some BMF alu on. What I like is the etched battery holder, unfortunately it will disappear almost completely under the seat...

RossiM1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: Brabham BT44B, Tamiya 1/12

Post by RossiM1 »

Looking good Marco alot of progress for a few days work

ATB
Gary

87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 87bmwm6 »

I love the looks of the bt44b. In my to do pile. Your wip is looking outstanding.

pete
F2
F2

Post by pete »

Marco, very nice work there. That is one of my favorite F1 cars from that era. I built that kit "back in the day" and still have very fond memories of it. It was one of those kits that just fell together properly. It has always "just looked right to me" and you are doing a fine job with it. One of these days I will have to build another model of it. The 1/12 scale cars are just too big and take up so much space. I always wished that Tamiya would do a version of it in 1/20 scale.

Topic author
MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

I polished the body and added the firewall and the front dampers (I like it when they work ;) ) I tried Micro Weld glue and I like it, works good and has an... interesting scent ;)
I'm going to the cellar right now to paint the coolers where I have added the etched parts.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Looking great!! :D Beautiful finish on the body and the firewall. Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Chris

VMK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Finland

Post by VMK »

I love Martini livery, it is a shame I do not like the taste of their products.
Maybe it's just a lack of exercise...
Firewall looks great as like all the rest.

Br Vellu

Topic author
MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Well, I don't drink any alcohol at all but still like the livery... ;)

I did the belts today, you can also see the cockpit before the seat hides a lot and some painted parts.

lumpulus
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by lumpulus »

Your doing a great job on this kit! This one was a real pleasure when I did it a few years back...one of the best Tamiya has ever done.

Topic author
MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

Me again.

I found a photo where I could see, that the area behind the driver was not painted white as the manual says. I didn't want to paint alu colour over the completed and polished body so I put some BMF on that area. It's not optimal that the parts in front are painted while this is covered with foil, but as there is always an edge in between, I think it's acceptable.
I glued the cockpit to the body; the small wire loops I plugged through 4 small holes on the cockpit edge will hold the wires from the dash in place - I'll put them through the loops and then pull them tight from the bottom. The envelope on the top right corner contained the badyear logos from Indycals that are missing in this rerelease ;)