Protar FIAT 806 1500CC Bj. 1927 1/12

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Protar FIAT 806 1500CC Bj. 1927 1/12

Post by capri-schorsch »

Hello,

here is my next project.
Its my first Protar and im a little bit nerveus about the fitting of the parts! :mrgreen:
I bought it from a guy at the http://www.modellboard.net forum.It was really,really cheap.Thanks a lot to them!

I removed all the red paint from the parts.The paint was really thick and i had fear that there all details are loosing.

Just fitting the cockpit part.

You can see that the rivets are not so good build.I think th epaint is going to remove the sharpness.So i decided to use real rivets like my Honda Ra.
The metal is really thick and i use a 0,5mm drill.I must be very patiently with it.

The engine is allmost build from th eguy i bought it.Its ok.I only remove the parts that not glued and will paint it with filler.

Take a look inside the box.Many parts are falling around,but i think its all there. :wink:

This is one of the things that i dont like!
The enginecovers are made with a outside hinge!
Thats crap!
I will change it,i still dont know how,but i change it!

Today i bought at a hardwareshop sparycans for the red parts.
I will test it at the time and than i see if its ok or not.

Enough for now,i will go on with the work! :mrgreen:

best regards
Christian

@Paul Raterink: Where is my stuff?
Please give me a PN.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Paul_Raterink
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Protar FIAT 806 1500CC Bj. 1927 1/12

Post by Paul_Raterink »

Hi,

The build looks great so far.

The parcel was mailed a littlle over two weeks ago now, maybe even closer to three. I'll pull your file and let you know the exact date. The Post has been really slow everywhere. I had a package leave Grand Rapids to go to Indianapolis...about 300 miles...it took over 21 days.

Back to our regular broadcast of thsi fantastic build.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

This is another one of those kits that I've been waiting for someone to do, and judging from your previous WIP's this one will be worth watching.

miked
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by miked »

Christian, I don't think you will have any trouble turning this car into a masterpiece. Defintly one of my favorite cars.

John
F2
F2

Post by John »

Hi Christian,
I think you will find that the hinge line in the original car was external. It is just exagerated in the kit. By all means reduce ( carefully) the hinge material but realise that if you remove the hinge completely the car will not be prototypical.
The floor was made of wood as well so I suggest the use of some cigar box timber. Let me know and I will pm a photo of my models cockpit interior. You will also need to consider a material to cover the seat as you will find that the kits seats finish is unacceptable.
Cheers
John

Topic author
capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Hello John,

are you shure that the hinge was external?
Maybee,but the Protar ones is much to thick.I think about a hinge inside so i can only open one hood,but thats look way better.
I must think about it how i can do that in a better way. :?

I would like to see a pic of your interior.Please send it to me per PM when its possible.
I thought about to use ,in german its called "Funier".
http://cgi.ebay.de/24Blatt-FURNIER-Funi ... 4839f6cd1f

Its real wood in a thickness of 0,6mm.
But now its only in my head,when the car is at this stage i maybee think about other stuff?

Did you replace the whole floor or do you clue it to the protar bottom?

Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

John
F2
F2

Post by John »

Hi Christian,
the hinge line was external for sure. There is some question as to whether the chassis was painted body colour or satin black. The picture of Bordino in the car which is cropped with a white background also has the hinge line cropped. The picture you will find with the spectators and team members around the car clearly shows the bonnet hinge. Protar have exagerated it as they have used "Mazak" to make the body and it is notoriously soft. Therefore the barrel of the hinge needs to be thicker. If you do not intend to raise the bonnet sides very much you can reduce the hinge wall thickness considerably. I have attached a picture of my models interior. As an interesting aside look how low the car is! If Bordino let his arm out of the side he could touch the ground with his knuckles curled ! Also a good thing to remember is that this car only raced once. It won the 1927 GP of Milan and was then destroyed. Have a look at the start line photo on www.bigscalemodels.com It should give you an idea of the bonnet hinge side.
Cheers
John
Attachments
FIAT 3 .jpg

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

Any of you out there win the Fiat on ebay a minute ago? It went from 260's to over $400 in the last seconds. What I don't know is if Protar made both a plastic and metal version of the car model. They did that with others. This box art was a drawing instead of a photo of the car. The box with a photo says metal. Wire wheels in one or both? Anyone out there that knows?

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Watching this one with interest,a kit I,ve always wanted and looks superb when built up. I to am sure the bonnet/hood hinge was external.
Atb,Alexp.

PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

jmpsebring wrote:Any of you out there win the Fiat on ebay a minute ago? It went from 260's to over $400 in the last seconds. What I don't know is if Protar made both a plastic and metal version of the car model. They did that with others. This box art was a drawing instead of a photo of the car. The box with a photo says metal. Wire wheels in one or both? Anyone out there that knows?
Was not me, mine has been waiting on the shelf for a long time.

I do not believe that this one has ever been done in anything but metal ....... been watching for near three decades now. Not that I want another, just curiosity.

IMO Protar did not improve things when the re-released in plastic, actually they were marginally worse ............. but easier to work with.

This might be a good subject for a quality resin caster though !

Cheers,

-elh-