Converting a Tamiya Ligier JS11 into the late 1980 JS11/15

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Converting a Tamiya Ligier JS11 into the late 1980 JS11/15

Post by JM »

Finally started to build my two Tamiya Ligier JS11 kits. One of them I want to convert into the late 1980 JS11/15 version. Some of the differences have been highlighted in a thread of this forum some time ago. As I will do the kit with fixed cowlings I do ignore the hidden changes below it. So the main changes will be:
- closed engine cover
- higher flip-ups at the end of the sidepods with an endplate at the inside
- lower sidepod-endplates
- outboard rear brakes

To create a rough shape of the engine cover I used polystyrene material. First the top with the openings for the air intake funnels …

… then the sides. The engine cover is a bit wider as at the JS11 (it has to be as the width and size of the air intake funnels are given)

Before I continued to shape the engine cover I sprayed the chassis inside aluminium and the cowling inside black, fitted the cockpit rollover bar and glued the cockpit cowling onto the chassis after inserting the upper front suspension arms. Then I masked the front suspension and the cockpit inside as I will have to spray the chassis a few times with primer and finally blue.

To shape the engine cover I use two component resine putty.

And here the first mishap occurred. I must have gotten a faulty batch as the resine would not harden even after several days :evil: . So all the grey pieces seen in the above two pictures had to be removed and were replaced by Tamiya’s two component putty. I only had the slow setting type available so everytime I used it I had to wait a day before I could sand it. When I then saw a bit where I had to add some more resine another day went. So it took me about a week to shape the cowling – adding resine, sanding, priming (with the Tamiya grey stuff), correcting by adding resine, sanding, priming, …

When that was done and the engine cover had an acceptable shape I added the higher flip-ups at the sidepod ends and the respective inside endplates as seen on the inserted reference picture.

Then I adapted the shape of the sidepod endplates which are slightly different from the 1979 and early 1980 types. The lower endplate is the older version which protrudes above the sidepod level as seen at the reference insert pic beside it. So I cut the endplate upper edge according to the sidepod shape as seen at the upper reference insert pic. Furthermore I removed the skirt which is moulded together with the endplate and added a bigger skirt which can later be adapted according to the ride height of the car. The moulded skirts are far too small in comparison to all reference pics I have. That goes for the 1979 version as well.

After another round of sanding, priming, filling, sanding, priming etc I got the following result:

By now I have primed it white and sprayed it blue (no pictures taken yet). Then I realized that the opening for the roll over hoop is wrong as can be seen in the following insert reference picture. The left arrow shows the wing profile underside I added when enlarging the flip-ups

So I have to close the wrong opening (putty, sanding, priming, ...) and add the correct two holes through which the roll over bars will go. Here too this applies to the 1979 version as well.

That’s were I stand at the moment. I won’t be able to do much until the weekend but watch this space for more then.

PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: Converting a Tamiya Ligier JS11 into the late 1980 JS11/15

Post by PanAmNut »

Got tired of filling, sanding and priming just reading that! Lotsa work there!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

-elh-

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

Wow,

Realy nice conversion and good work in all aereas.
Will follow this thread.
Keep it up.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

All the best with the conversion,keep us all posted,it looks pretty cool already.
Alexp.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

:P :P :P GREAT stuff...keep us posted !
Alex Nahooy.

craig
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by craig »

Nice to see those more daring than the rest, looks to be blended in very well.

Jacques
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Jacques
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
France

Post by Jacques »

Hi JM,

What a conversion ! With Steffen's decals coming that's a good actual topic :wink:

I was dreaming seeing it one day on F1M. I will follow this topic with very high interest ! But I have doubts I can achieve something similar by myself. keep going with the good stuff and thank you for your detailed explanations.
Jacques

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

After I saw your conversion last night and I was planning a early '80 conversion myself I'm now thinking of doing a late one as your build myself aswell.
Do you have good reference pics, you want to share?

Never thought of making the cowling detachable?

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

I've often thought of doing this one myself, as I think the 1980 version looks a lot prettier than the early '79 version that Tamiya modelled.

I'm going to be interested to see how you address the outboard rear brakes - are you going to use an FW07 gearbox?

Looking forward to the next update! :D

Regards

ES

LotusEater
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by LotusEater »

JM, I'm sure your finished model will be as accurate to the original as is humanly possible, great work.

I still remember the sound of these engines...