F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Ferrari Expo 2011

Post by F1tommy »

Ferrari Expo 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are again pleased to announce the Ferrari Club of America will be hosting the Ferrari Expo literature/model/collectibles show at Continental Autosport Ferrari/Maserati near Chicago in Hindsdale, Illinois on March 19th 2011.

Along with the normal tables full of books, art, old collectibles and models we will again be hosting a hand built model contest at the Expo. All the models entered in the model contest must be built by the person entering. Another member of the Ferrari Club will be also running a photo contest. More information on that later.

The model contest will have a special theme for the Carrera Panamericana in 2011. This added feature will be combined into our normal F1/sportscar/FIA scale classes.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Here are the handbuilt model contest classes for 2011.

Ferrari Expo 2011 model Classes:

Class 1 1/43rd road race/sportscar/Lemans/F1/Indy/FIA rally

Class 2 1/24th road race/sportscar/Lemans/FIA rally

Class 3 1/24th-1/25th-1/20th F1/Indy open wheel

Class 4 1/6th-1/18th road race/sportscar/Lemans/F1/Indy/FIA rally

Class 5 best model of show, all scales included( another nice reward for this model in 2011)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

We hope some of you can make it again this year. It is in March this year instead of April.

Here are some links of last years show:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... +expo+2010

http://kaz43.fotki.com/show/ferrariexpo ... test/2010/

For table information and other show info contact Hugh Ruthven of the Ferrari Club at:

YouAreAWinner@earthlink.net

For model contest information contact me at:

alfaromeo2465@yahoo.com

This is the 30th year for the Ferrari literature and art Expo in Chicago and the 6th year for the handbuilt model contest.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago March 19th 2011

Topic author
F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Re: Ferrari Expo 2011

Post by F1tommy »

Here are a few photos of my Ferrari 250 Breadvan in 1/12th scale that I am building for Ferrari Expo 2011. It is based on a Revell GTO diecast and the APM body kit. I had to do the following to the body so far:

Reshape all vents on the nose, add lower scoop and cutback headlights.
Make new engine cover so that it replicates the car as raced at Lemans in 1962.
Change location of vents on the side of both rear and front fenders.
Change location of vents on breadvan section behind doors.
Reshape roof to flatten and make less rounded.
Square out tail on sides.
Relocate rear wheel well back around 1/2 an inch.
Add corrected flares to rear fenders.
Remove flaring from front fenders.
Resize front wheel wells.
Open up vent behind front wheel on top.
Rescribe doors to move then up and make them slightly forward.

Lots more to do, but the body is close. The handlaced wire wheels can be found on Ebay.
The rears are for a GTO and are offered by Scale Details. They do require drilling out the centers so that they will let the spinner sit correctly. I also am redoing the cockpit to replicate the Breadvan's. Only the rear parts and door panels are included in the APM transkit(door panels are wrong). The Revell motor is a mess. I might add an engine at a later date, but the kit will be done as a curbside for the Expo.

Looks like another big group of modelers will be coming in for the show in March. Can't wait to meet you again. I am also doing several Carrera Panamericana cars for the event and Scale Designs is doing a few decal sheets for the PAN AM Porsches to debute at the Expo. Also included are a few of the real Ferrari's that will be at Ferrari Expo 2011. That is the 1959 Lemans GT winner and a new 599 GTO.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago March 19th 2011

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

Really nice work Tom. Never have seen one of these done in 1/12 scale. Do it some justice. looking foward to seeing it when its completed. :)

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Love the "Breadvan", I wish there was a 1/24th resin one, or is there? Does anybody know.
Atb,Alexp.

Topic author
F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Almost done with the first 2 Pan Am cars. The Fujimi 356A is in 1/24th scale and uses the Scale Designs SD38 decals printed by Cartograf, the 550 is 1/43rd using an old Starter kit with a modified body and new headlights+Bosica wheels. For the Fujimi kit I made aluminum window frames for it this time.
I am also finishing the Breadvan and 2 or 3 other Pan am cars. Hope some of you make it.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago March 19th 2011 Carrera Panamericana special theme for 2011

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Nice! I like the 356 especially!

Topic author
F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Thanks jaykay. We are doing atleast 3 Carrera Panamericana sheets in 1/24th scale and 1 in 1/43rd. I plan on making SD38 wich includes this 1953 Canada Shoes car #151, the Guatemala car #162 and the 1952 dark blue number #11 cabriolet also in 1/43rd. The next SD39 sheet will have 4 of the Alfa Romeo 1900 cars that won the 1954 touring class. This sheet is for the very nice Quattroruote 1/24th diecast(a super nice series from Italy).
The SD40 sheet will have the Peron 1953 car #200 and a low roof 356. We have other cars planned. I will also reissue a Cartograf printed decal of the Ferrari Daytona COMPETITION decals for cars #37 Lemans 1973, #36 Feraud and #74 NART Lemans 1972 ref SD41(very limited leftover large double sheet from my old Daytona kits).

SD38 and SD41 will be available at Ferrari Expo on March 19th 2011.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago March 19th 2011

Topic author
F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Here is a Fujimi 1/24th 356A kit I just finished for Ferrari Expo 2011. I modified it to make it a pre 356A model and put on the brand new Scale Designs SD38 Carrera Panamericana decals. This car ran in the 1953 Pan Am race. The sponsor was Canada shoes of Mexico. The owner of the company entered the car and drove it. The "new" Scale Designs SD38 will be available as of March 19th 2011 and includes 3 356's from the Pan Am 1952 and 1953 race. Decals printed by Cartograf. I did make aluminum window frames and a pre A dashboard to the Fujimi kit just to add realism.

Topic author
F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

I finished the 1/12th APM Ferrari 250 Breadvan. The base model was a Revell GTO with the APM body kit. Lets just say APM do great kits now but were still learning when they did this kit.

lumpulus
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by lumpulus »

No engine pics? The Fujimi 356A has a great engine and underbody detail...Is the Breadvan a semi curbside?